Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rumor: Wii successor at E3, significantly more powerful than PS3/360

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by CoinReturn View Post

Who are these folks, exactly?
    friends who work in games development nowadays and a relative who writes for a games magazine, what did you think? "my dad totally works for nintendo"? nothing spectacular but they are guys i know rarely to fuck with me. One of em i would trust hands down said one thing yesterday in conversation that got me excited, basically describing how the controller is some massive leaping advance on the few gamecube games that used a gameboy as a second screen and interface. Now i remember using it for zelda and it gave you extra abilities like infinite bombs to drop on the gba screens minimap. If it does that kind of thing it could be exciting.
    But knowing nintendo you would expect them to just make you need a 3ds for that. So im wondering what the screens for. But the dreamcast fanboy in me remembers how neat that was so maybe the controller acts as a smaller, independent device for some games maybe?

I'd love to see what hideo kojimas mind could strum up.

Twitching

Undisclosed
    I'd love to see what hideo kojimas mind could strum up.
    Nintendo unveils the Wii Remote
    Hideo Kojima's reaction: "They've done it!"
    later on: "HD is just a gimmick I do war games the dirtier the better."
    As of 2011
    Metal Gear Solid 4 - Playstation 3
    Metal Gear Solid Riisng - Playstation 3 and Xbox 360
    Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops - Playstation Portable
    Metal Gear Solid 3DS: The Naked Snake - 3DS

Solid Snake was in Super Smash Bros Brawl.

The 'Project Cafe' rumours point to Wii's successor being three core with 'at least' 512 Mb of RAM, a GPU equivalent to R700 (2007/08 tech) and porting games from the 360 and PS3 'should be a breeze' and have motion controls 'better then Move'.

While I'm sure a original game would be awesome MGSR is made for the Wii Remote Plus

United States
    Allegedly leaked pics, currently named "Stream":

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=428106

Last edited by CoinReturn; 22-Apr-2011 at 01:54 AM. Reason: hgjh

United States
    so the wii, now the stream?

sounds like someone has an obsession with piss....

i really hope they come up with a better name than that....

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Here's the rumours in total
    Nintendo are releasing a Triple core HD console using a revamped R700 GPU for $350 - 400 (£250 - 300) late this year, it features a controller with a six inch 1080p touchscreen which you can stream games onto and the console is fully backward compatible with Gamecube and Wii games.
    If all of this is true what they need are exclusive games or exclusives in multiplats and damn good ones at that. I have brought up Dead Rising and Metal Gear before in this thread and I think motion plus support would make them killer aps on Stream. Resident Evil 5 with Wiimote controls, you could have the best of both worlds in all these games by having HD graphics and optional conventional or motion controls.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by professorchaos View Post
    so the wii, now the stream?

Sounds like someone has an obsession with piss....
    lol!!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Three times as powerful as the 360?
    http://revoeyes.blogspot.com/2011/04...rful-than.html
    Also Wii games in HD? Like a patch to play Super Mario Galaxy and Legend of Zelda games in HD?
    If those controllers are true, imagine inviting four friends over with their controllers and playing Left 4 Dead, One of you could just pop to the kitchen, monitor the kettle, washer or dryer or go to the toilet and keep playing.

(Nice signiture with Carl Sagan there, I never even heard of him until I saw this Family Guy spoof on Youtube where he's been edited for bible thumping rednecks.)

Dying

United States
    Unfortunately, this new system will probably have the same issues that Nintendo has had for over a decade now: a lot of third party developers aren't happy to work with Nintendo, and so they simply don't. Nintendo almost seems to go out of their way to make it difficult to develop on their systems. I was reading an article a while back about how developers weren't even aware that the Wii was coming out until it was announced to the public, so they didn't have advanced notice to actually start making games. That's why the Wii's release titles were so anemic.

Now, granted, a spokesman for Nintendo has said that they are going to get better at it, but they've said that multiple times in the past and it's only gotten worse.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitchified View Post
    Now, granted, a spokesman for Nintendo has said that they are going to get better at it, but they've said that multiple times in the past and it's only gotten worse.
    Capcom and Ubisoft seem to have a lot of faith in the 3DS at least, so that's something. It's just too bad for Nintendo that everyone equates their systems with first party titles (Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc.). I guess it's not a bad thing for them, as the Wii still sold like crazy, but I'd definitely like to see some non-Nintendo developed exclusives for this next system.
    Last edited by CoinReturn; 23-Apr-2011 at 03:19 PM. Reason: a

Dying

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by CoinReturn View Post
    Capcom and Ubisoft seem to have a lot of faith in the 3DS at least, so that's something. It's just too bad for Nintendo that everyone equates their systems with first party titles (Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc.). I guess it's not a bad thing for them, as the Wii still sold like crazy, but I'd definitely like to see some non-Nintendo developed exclusives for this next system.
    It's going to be interesting to see how things work out, because logically Nintendo can't go the same route that they did with the Wii. The reason it sold a bajillion units was because it was designed to be a "casual" system that appealed even to people that didn't really play video games. Those casual fans won't really have a reason to purchase the new system (they already have the Wii, after all, and non-gamers won't see a major reason to get a brand new system), so Nintendo is going to have to appeal to more serious gamers if they want the system to succeed. Thus they're going to have to work with more third party developers if they really want it to work.

It will be interesting to see if companies like BioWare will be open to developing for Nintendo or if they will stick to their guns and only produce for the other platforms.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Nintendo admitted to the rumors this past weekend. Playable demos at E3.

"Nintendo Co. Ltd. has decided to launch in 2012 a system in to succeed Wii...We will show a playable model of the new system and announce more specifications at the E3 Expo, which will be held from June 7-9, 2011, in Los Angeles"

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    To be honest I could buy a shitty PC from PC world that can beat the specs of the ps3 and xbox....lol
    Claiming to beat old hardware isn't particularly impressive - consoles are just a PC in a box now, so comparitively to even a modest gaming rig, the 360 and ps3 look weak - not to mention the original wii. If they came out and said "the new wii will have a dual sli graphics card running at 3GB with dual quad core processors with a 12mb cache that will handle native stereo 3D (not side by side view ala Crysis, CODBLOPS etc) then I might be impressed!

Anyway regardless of it's power, what use is that to anyone if all they keep churning out are stuipd baby games?
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    That first picture Coin posted looked like it was just an ad for an external HDD or some sort of already-existing developer hardware. Why would Nintendo have a thing saying "Easy portability from PC, XBOX 360" ??? To me it seems like it's XBOX 360 developer hardware.

United States
    They'll have to venture away from the cartoonish games for me to be that interested. I never got a Wii because majority of the titles where more postured for younger people. I understand that pulling Mario/Link out of a cartoonish setting is damn near impossible because of that's what their built upon and that they have released a few titles directd more towards adults but bowling with shitty characters or playing Olympic games with Sega characters got boring pretty damn fast.

Dying

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clean View Post
    They'll have to venture away from the cartoonish games for me to be that interested. I never got a Wii because majority of the titles where more postured for younger people. I understand that pulling Mario/Link out of a cartoonish setting is damn near impossible because of that's what their built upon and that they have released a few titles directd more towards adults but bowling with shitty characters or playing Olympic games with Sega characters got boring pretty damn fast.
    Hey, there were adult themes on the Wii, too. I distinctly remember them raping the Metroid franchise repeatedly in Other M.