Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fallout 3 on the PC...

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    trust me dude, you're gonna love fallout 3. hours upon hours of fun.
    I was certainly keen on it when I first saw the trailer, and since it was released I've been looking at videos of it on YouTube, so I think I should enjoy it - especially as I'm such a big STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl fan.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Sod it, I've ordered the stand-alone game...
    That's our boy

I love Fallout 3 for the 360. You'll have to let me know if you try any mods for the PC version. I'm still playing the game with one of the DLC (Broken Steel), which I chose to up my level cap whilst going through the gads and gads of material from the vanilla version I hadn't gotten to yet.

It really is quite the game and damned immense. As long as its style matches your temperament/gaming preferences you should enjoy it (assuming your PC is up to it *Crosses fingers for you*).

Enjoy, MZ.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Super Moderator

UK
    It really is quite the game and damned immense. As long as its style matches your temperament/gaming preferences you should enjoy it (assuming your PC is up to it *Crosses fingers for you*).
    Well, this is the rig I'll be playing it on:
    Windows XP
    4gb RAM
    Intel Quad Core 9300
    nVidia GeForce GTX260 (896mb)
    nForce motherboard (790, or maybe 780 ... one of those)

As for game style, I've really enjoyed the likes of STALKER, so I think I'll dig this - although Fallout 3 does seem to have more about managing stats and such, compared to STALKER, which doesn't really have that - just managing your inventory.

I like different types of games, sometimes you just want to barge around blowing shit up, other times you want to invest time and explore away (e.g. STALKER - which I loved).

Speaking of which, I've seen The Simpson's Game for 360 is a tenner today - anyone know if that's worth getting? I made a separate post about it earlier today.

Super Moderator

UK
    It arrived in the post today - haven't installed it yet, but will do soon - was too busy putting together my Flickr album and getting it embedded correctly in my blog, as well as doing some editing work today.

Super Moderator

UK
    I got off my arse this afternoon and installed it - I've started playing, and I'm digging it.

I decided to stop my session just after getting out of Vault 101, I'll save my first real foray into the wastelands for my next session, but my first impressions are good.

There are some elements that are a bit rough around the edges (lip synch - or lack thereof - some iffy coding, mainly in characters walking around getting stuck on things, or not really knowing what they should do - some graphical roughness) ... but overall so far I'm digging it.

I did spend a good hour or so before I left the Vault though, so I haven't seen much action yet ... just getting used to it in general.

Me likey likey though - and nice to have a game to play too.

Dizaaaamn ... after my first playing sesh I got all 'crack addicty' and simply had to play another 45 minutes before bed ... gonna go deliver some message for some fitty who hangs out in Megaton.

I had a look around those houses (Springvale I think), and spotted the school ... didn't venture inside, because I wanted to get some progress made into the main story - although I'm making very slow progress as I'm just gawping at things and conversing with the characters so much.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 27-Jul-2009 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Super Moderator

United States
    gonna go deliver some message for some fitty who hangs out in Megaton.
    Hope you enjoyed Arefu! I need to get back to Fallout 3, I took a break the last 5-6 days and am feeling the need to push the content envelope again.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    after my xbox was returned, i finally got around to finding the last few bobbleheads, hit the level 30 xp max, took a boat ride to point lookout, and helped that ghoul dude defend the mansion from tribals...this game is still sofa king awesome...

and mothership zeta comes out next week, so time to meet interesting creatures from another planet....then kill them and take their weapons and technology.

Super Moderator

UK
    Been playing more of late, I found Arefu, then found The Family, talked all nice with them, convinced the cannibal kid to go back to Megaton or wherever and be with his sister, then on my way to the GNR radio station some kid runs out and I can't just leave him there, so I follow him to find his father - but the father's dead, then I say I'll kill the fire ants for him, but that then turns into a huge underground saga of it's own, I kill the guard ants, come back up, tell the kid I killed them, then I need to find the l'il bastard a place to stay so I have to make the epic journey to Rivet City and find his Aunt or whoever, then go back and tell him, then I head over to Super Duper Mart as it looks interested, pwn the head hunters, kill the raiders inside, then head off in search of GNR at last ... and that's where I'm up to so far.

I'm on level 5 or 6 in experience points so far, and I've got plenty of good karma. Try as I might, I just naturally play these games by being the good guy ... even BioShock, I was gonna harvest all the little sisters for their Adam, but I couldnay do it and rescued them all again instead.

I guess I'm just a nice guy.

I've now levelled up to 7 or 8, and I've just gotten to the DC Mall area - I spied the silhouette of the Capitol building, and had a gander at the giant dildo in the pond thing ... you know, the Washington Monument, that's the hammer ... anyway, just gone into that Museum place to get some dish for GNR so they can broadcast better.

Rather enjoying this game, I'm finding myself quite sucked into the world - it almost feels like real people in a way, conversing with them, finding out bits of information, seeing the various little societies out there in the wasteland.

Interesting stuff, I think I'll get a lot of hours of this game, I've already had about 9 hours so far infact.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 30-Jul-2009 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Super Moderator

UK
    I've just gotten to Vault 112 - very cool, and a little bit creepy - the simulation I've just gone into as well is hella cool. Pitch perfect, dude, pitch perfect.

But why does Betty want to make Timmy cry? What a bitch.

I've invested about 12 hours into Fallout 3 so far, and my Karma is very good ... my favourite weapon is the sniper rifle - blowing up Raider heads is just so much fun. Oh yeah - I'm on level 9 now.

Obviously, no spoilers if you're gonna respond to anything.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 04-Aug-2009 at 05:45 PM.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    I've just gotten to Vault 112 - very cool, and a little bit creepy - the simulation I've just gone into as well is hella cool. Pitch perfect, dude, pitch perfect.

But why does Betty want to make Timmy cry? What a bitch.

I've invested about 12 hours into Fallout 3 so far, and my Karma is very good ... my favourite weapon is the sniper rifle - blowing up Raider heads is just so much fun.

Obviously, no spoilers if you're gonna respond to anything.
    Not a spoiler, but just a heads up, when you're in the simulation... there is more than one way to get what you want from "Betty"...

maybe you don't HAVE to make Billy cry...

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    if youve finished everything bar the new dlc like i have i can reommend restarting the game on the hardest setting, it goes from a fun shooter to proper survival game, i HAD to kill the first trader i found because i had nothing and i got his flame thrower and then took a good ten minutes to clear super duper mart.

needlesss to say its way more fun on hard.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    Not a spoiler, but just a heads up, when you're in the simulation... there is more than one way to get what you want from "Betty"...

maybe you don't HAVE to make Billy cry...
    hehe, I had already spoken to the old woman who said about the abandoned house - so I figured that would be the way forward - checked on YouTube, and got a certain combination I would need to know just now.

When I replay Fallout 3 from the start sometime in the future I'll do the whole game as an evil bastard ... but right now I'm being a saintly saint.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 04-Aug-2009 at 08:12 PM.

Scotland
    hehe, I had already spoken to the old woman who said about the abandoned house - so I figured that would be the way forward - checked on YouTube, and got a certain combination I would need to know.

When I replay Fallout 3 from the start sometime in the future I'll do the whole game as an evil bastard ... but right now I'm being a saintly saint.
    I personally find it almost impossible to be a "bad guy" in these games. I mean, sometime in GTA I'll go radge and start mowing down civilians, but I find it very difficult to be cruel to innocent interactable characters in a game as deep as Fallout 3. That said, I have killed a few characters of my own volition because I thought they were assholes - including Tenpenny, Moriarty and the guy who wants you to nuke Megaton - which got me some negative karma here and there.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    I personally find it almost impossible to be a "bad guy" in these games. I mean, sometime in GTA I'll go radge and start mowing down civilians, but I find it very difficult to be cruel to innocent interactable characters in a game as deep as Fallout 3. That said, I have killed a few characters of my own volition because I thought they were assholes - including Tenpenny, Moriarty and the guy who wants you to nuke Megaton - which got me some negative karma here and there.
    hehe - exactly the same here dude - I just can't be evil to these characters. I'm nice, and they're nice to me, so I just can't justify being evil - I guess I'm just naturally a good guy in real life, eh?

With anyone who's a bit 'off colour', I just ignore them mostly, or steer the convo elsewhere - Mr Burke is the dude that wants you to nuke Megaton (which I'll do when I replay the game in an 'evil mindset'), and I did actually rat him out to Lucas Sims (the Megaton Mayor type dude who looks like a cowboy), but Sims got killed ... so I Quick Loaded back and didn't take that action again just so Sims wouldn't die, hehe ... kinda lame I know, but the game world is just so involving, as are the various characters - it's like being nice to the ghouls, they're so appreciative of you being nice.

GTA IV as well, when you had to take someone out, I always picked the asshole.

Scotland
    hehe - exactly the same here dude - I just can't be evil to these characters. I'm nice, and they're nice to me, so I just can't justify being evil - I guess I'm just naturally a good guy in real life, eh?

With anyone who's a bit 'off colour', I just ignore them mostly, or steer the convo elsewhere - Mr Burke is the dude that wants you to nuke Megaton (which I'll do when I replay the game in an 'evil mindset'), and I did actually rat him out to Lucas Sims (the Megaton Mayor type dude who looks like a cowboy), but Sims got killed ... so I Quick Loaded back and didn't take that action again just so Sims wouldn't die, hehe ... kinda lame I know, but the game world is just so involving, as are the various characters - it's like being nice to the ghouls, they're so appreciative of you being nice.

GTA IV as well, when you had to take someone out, I always picked the asshole.
    The actions I took regarding Tenpenny and Mister Burke kind of messed up the game a little for me. When Burke asked me to prime the bomb for him, I did so (just to play along and gain his trust), then when I was granted access to Tenpenny's suite to view the fireworks I looked at the button... looked at Tenpenny... looked at Burke... then whipped out my combat shotgun and blew them both over the ledge. I left without hitting the switch. However, now I don't get any reward from either Tenpenny (obviously) or the Sheriff (the bomb cannot be defused after you've added the detonator), so I never did get given a "home base" either in Megaton or the Tower.