Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The War Z (video game)

Fresh Meat

Aaland
    The War Z is an upcoming zombie MMOFPS from HammerPoint Interactive and should appeal those gamers that have sunk many hours into the popular Arma 2 modification DayZ. More and more people like playing facebook games because they don't need to download client. CoasterVille is one of them. Join this game and play with your friends on facebook.
    Last edited by Zombie134; 10-Dec-2012 at 09:16 AM. Reason: spell

Administrator

England
    Not a lot happens, but an interesting watch! Surprising amount of tension!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AovacuGtDzo
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    man, the drama on this is crazy. Looks like the products a cobbled together hodgepodge of stolen assets and ip from other products and the creators are doing their damnedest to firestorm ban anything on the steam forum for it pointing it out.
    -They took screencaps of the walking dead tv show and zombie walk images and took those zombies and slightly altered the for their art assets:

-use a slightly off tempo version of the theme to the show american horror story for the menu music

-all of the animations stolen from war inc.
    -cannot do what they stated, for example 50 person limit per server, half of what they said it would. their response? "i could update it to 100 tomorrow, how do you know, just shut up"

I could go on but so far Steam has removed it from the store and is using the "we never meant to release it" exscuse as damage control for a very large number of customers of the product who are very unhappy with a day z clone thats looking like not just a scam that aims to rip people off with whats basically a buggy mod of a mod thats poorly coded and the creators are doing everything they can to try and silence any gaming community from talking about it.
    What a goddamn mess this one turned out to be.

Administrator

England
    Regarding the art assets, this kind of thing being pointed out there is common practice. Indeed we can see it on the Star Trek II poster - http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/s...l=1#post292419

As for stealing animations from War Inc. Isn't that another game of theirs? How can they steal their own property?

Sorry, but this has such a strong feeling of hater got to hate!?

EDIT:-

I stand corrected - I see it has indeed been taken off steam! You're right! I'm wrong! Review here gives it 0.5 out of 10 - http://www.gameshampoo.com/magazine/...ew-update.html

To think I nearly bought it!

Can't help but think there's actually a good game waiting in there somewhere!? Infact some of the youtube reviews seem +ve about it!?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I stand corrected - I see it has indeed been taken off steam! You're right! I'm wrong! Review here gives it 0.5 out of 10 - http://www.gameshampoo.com/magazine/...ew-update.html
    Interesting. Their money upfront and rush to market screamed caution.

That said, this caught my eye:

according to Hammerpoint, "The War Z is an open world game. Each world has huge areas between 100 to 400 square kilometers." Too bad that there's only one map in the game right now, and it spans about half that. Seriously, this confined world is so tiny...
    I always wonder how realistic claims of scale and map size are in any game, but to be honest, I have a bad head for these size comparisons.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Administrator

England
    Odd thing is, a lot of the youtube reviews/previews do seem +ve!
    -Carl Sagan

UK

Administrator

England
    TBH, I couldn't care less if its 50 people per server, or 70 or 100... I'm more interested in the game mechanics/gameplay!?
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    Yeh, me too.

To be honest, while this Sergey character "misled" people, he's hardly alone in the games dev world. He doesn't come across well in that interview though. I still think this is a bit of a storm in a teacup, however.

It looks like it has potential to be good, but since I think that online gaming is a load of old bollocks, I probably won't be trying it.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I'm more interested in the game mechanics/gameplay!?
    You might not be after reading this review.

I started playing on December 17th, dying meant the character couldn't be resurrected for an hour. That's a harsh death penalty. Then on the 18th, a patch was released: revival now takes four hours, or you can pay to have the character spawn back early. What an awful, money-grubbing thing to do to people who've already bought a game.
    http://uk.pc.gamespy.com/pc/the-war-z/1227010p1.html

I was hoping that this might turn out okay in the end - if there is a decent game hiding away in there then it's going to take a bigger salvage operation than raising the Titanic by the looks of it.

United States
    pulled from Steam....

http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/1...ions-of-fraud/

The War Z has been pulled from Steam by Valve, in the wake of their investigation into allegations of fraud by the game's developers Hammerpoint Interactive. Hundreds, if not thousands of reports were made by customers who complained that the developer had mislead them when it launched an incomplete game that boasted features which had yet to be implemented within the game.

Late last night, we reported that the War Z's developers had made attempts to conceal the game's problems by banning anyone who complained on the official Steam forums about the problems they were having. Many users vocalized their dissatisfaction with the fact that the studio had added a lengthy 4-hour respawn timer and had begun to charge players to respawn their characters upon their deaths.
    Last edited by Mr. Clean; 23-Dec-2012 at 05:06 PM. Reason: ......

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK

More images doing the rounds that makes it look like these dudes are compelte twats.

Administrator

England
    How do you know that image is genuine?

I'm confused because the game doesn't look too far away from being a good product?
    -Carl Sagan

UK
    More news from the land of happiness and joy!

Seems Paramount Pictures are non too pleased with it either:

http://uk.pc.gamespy.com/pc/the-war-z/1227023p1.html

Super Moderator

UK
    Neil - I've read about the ban-hammering in a few places, and IIRC, I also heard (perhaps on IGN) something about them changing the terms of service so that the user wasn't entitled to a refund (which is illegal).

All of this said, I was never actually going to buy the game (I don't go in for multiplayer games, I just can't be arsed), and I was never going to get into DayZ or whatever the other one is called either ... and I'll probably also never get around to Dead Nation, unless it's on-disc and supports a solid single player option.

Been hearing about a lot of bad press and user outrage in connection with this game though.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 24-Dec-2012 at 04:18 PM.