Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reason to buy a PS3?

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    a star wars mmo i think, but i dont think it could be that you explore every inch of a planet, more like certain areas the size crackdown or oblivion on each planet i think, since i doubt a single dvd has the sapce for a game of a bigger magnitude, i think were lookin' at another fable, might be good but wont live up to the hype, though id be glad to be proved wrong o'course.

Super Moderator

UK
    Oh indeed, some games you just have to dedicate to, also comes down to when you buy them. I got into Crackdown and GOW at the same time as I bought them together and had to give them a good testing before my 10 day return window was up, so I've gone and gotten into them both at the same time now, hehe.

However, I played Saints Row almost exclusively for 2 weeks, I've got a bit more to do on that, but I needed a change after all that for two weeks straight. With Dead Rising I played that pretty much exclusively till I did the 72 hours (couldn't be bothered with the story, I watched that on a website with the videos, haha).

PGR3 - played through at the first level, started on the second level recently, but then got Crackdown and GOW, so it's on the back burner for the moment, but I'll return to it again.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    aye crackdown certainly lives up to the first word in it name. i need 80 orbs left and 2 of the asian gang members in the towers to kill. i got f.e.a.r at the same time but thats just a cheap counter strike in the doom 3 engine for my liking its just not worth the money, so ive been playing project zero 2 (fookin' scary, albiet not as much as the first one) and darkwatch and gun, yeah im in a western gameing mood, a western gta would rock.

Super Moderator

UK
    Actually FEAR is on Lithtech: Jupiter EX, Doom 3 is on id Tech 4, so they're not the same engine.

*folds arms, looks rather smug*

I'm on the second island on Crackdown, took me 3 attempts late one night (hence the addictiveness of Crackdown ) to nail the guy in that bus depot. I kept running out of ammo, did my tits in no end...but I finally nabbed the guy, thanks to increased explosion radius/power.

Chasing Prey

Canada
    the only reason that damn system is so high is because they decided to attach the new beta to a system that didnt need it. without the blu ray player, it would only be about $300

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    it is kinda sad to see the franchise fail, since everyone who owned a psone and 2 knows they rocked, best console for rpg adn horror games, and had the most memorable games this side of the dreamcast till this gen, its a shame the 3rd incarnation is an overpriced blu ray player that happens to play a bunch of games noone wants.
    in fact just today i go onto live to play crackdown co-op ,since i finished the main game(but you can revive the mobs to do it all over but with your weapons cars and stats) adn i see a freind of mine is logged in, but he got rid of his 3360 for a wii ,then bought a ps2, he sneds me a pm saying "my ps3 was a waste of cash so i got a premium xbox, 10 games and a years live subscription.

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    its a shame the 3rd incarnation is an overpriced blu ray player that happens to play a bunch of games noone wants.
    Still too early to tell Hellz, the PS3 is gonna take some time... but give it a another year or so and I think they'll start delivering the goods. My local GameStation geek-kid has said that he has seen an increase of PS3's being sold and more 360's being traded in for PS3's.

Now that I have a PS3 myself, I gotta say that I'm impressed with it. It's nowhere near as precious as my 360 of course, but I just know that when Sony get over this initial slump they will be pulling out titles that will toilet all over Microsoft. They haven't let anyone down yet, let's see it out before we cast judgement.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    The Star Wars MMORPG wasn't that big. The planets were mostly randomly generated (or it at least seemed like it, because, for instance, Tatooine was just flat desert with some canyons and hills, Naboo was just one big forest). Only thing that really differed on the planets was the height elevation. And as I mentioned, each of the planets wasn't that big to begin with. Overall, I'd say Anarchy Online is the biggest MMORPG out right now, if you include the expansions.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    it is kinda sad to see the franchise fail, since everyone who owned a psone and 2 knows they rocked
    Not true. I had PS2 and thought it sucked. Loved PSX, but my PS2, and pretty much EVERY friend I knew that owned one, failed and just stopped reading games. Pieces of junk. I know people that went through many.

But I'm sure people will be saying the same thing about 360 in a few years. Shiv, people already are!

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    but my PS2, and pretty much EVERY friend I knew that owned one, failed and just stopped reading games. Pieces of junk. I know people that went through many.
    Add me to that list....I did not even buy a PS2 till 2 years after it was first released.....and it stopped reading games on me.....

The most annoying thing is there was apparently a recall....and I would have been applicable to get a new PS2....but since I did not even know I had a probelm till a year or two after the recall deadline I couldnt get a new one for free ....

There is no target consumer! Only targets. Targets that will tremble as their new master hands down edicts in my glorious booming voice!

capncnut
    Okay, slightly contradictory to my above post but yeah, add me too that list too. BUT, I re-purchased a second hand PS2 (old style) from GameStation some time ago and it's running like clockwork. I'm pretty sure my first couple of PS2's were probably part of that dodgy first batch.

It's also worth noting that from 2002-2004, I got through 3 or 4 Xbox consoles due to various failures.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    Okay, slightly contradictory to my above post but yeah, add me too that list too. BUT, I re-purchased a second hand PS2 (old style) from GameStation some time ago and it's running like clockwork. I'm pretty sure my first couple of PS2's were probably part of that dodgy first batch.

It's also worth noting that from 2002-2004, I got through 3 or 4 Xbox consoles due to various failures.
    I've been fortunate enough to never have a console break on me. That must sound really wierd to you guys, but from the N.E.S. all the way up to my newest console (360) I've never had a problem. Although that's not unusual for nintendo's consoles. Anyboy ever have a ninty console break on them?
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    actually ive never had one jsut break down either, my dreamcast was crushed uner a sledgehammer (dont ask ), and i left a gameboy colour in the un a few years back whenit was like the hotest day in recorded uk history adn the stuff under the screen melted and a big dirty chav crack appeared on the screen.

Super Moderator

UK
    a big dirty chav crack appeared on the screen.
    F*ckin' ewww dude, just f*ckin' EWWW!

I was reading comments relating to the 360 online a few days ago and someone was going on about one thing might be that some people treat their 360's like a console, which folk might just expect to bash about willy nilly, but really the 360 is a PC in a smaller box, so it requires more respect...it was an intriguing theory.

I don't understand why anyone would be brash and impatient with their console, I treat mine with respect, I do with all my technological stuff, these various technical toys cost a lot of money, plus being a bit of an obsessive/compulsive I'm obsessed with treating them carefully and with respect.

Where was I/were we? F*ck I'm tired out today.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    F*ckin' ewww dude, just f*ckin' EWWW!

I was reading comments relating to the 360 online a few days ago and someone was going on about one thing might be that some people treat their 360's like a console, which folk might just expect to bash about willy nilly, but really the 360 is a PC in a smaller box, so it requires more respect...it was an intriguing theory.

I don't understand why anyone would be brash and impatient with their console, I treat mine with respect, I do with all my technological stuff, these various technical toys cost a lot of money, plus being a bit of an obsessive/compulsive I'm obsessed with treating them carefully and with respect.

Where was I/were we? F*ck I'm tired out today.

That is an interesting theory. They are getting more and more like pc's allthe time. They have hard drives, ethernet ports, downloadable media. There's no such thing anymore as a device that does just one thing. Phones just don't make phone calls anymore. They also have mp3 players and internet capabilities. The traditional ideas of what a video game console should be is expanding. They are becoming entertainment hubs, capable of doing everything. I fully expect the next gen to have internet browsing capabilities comparable to most pc's and in turn will make consoles a viable alternative.

As for treating consoles roughly. I think people got spoiled with their nes's by blowing into the cartridges and ramming them back in. I'm kinda ocd myself with my consoles as well. Maybe that's why they never break on me. I see how other people treat theirs and it's no wonder why they break down.
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"