Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Football Schedule in Dawn

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    /Wilhem scream

*Crushed by sarcasm*

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Uhm. That's just bullshit, Philly. I'm the one who's been pointing out the subjectiveness all along, whil you're the one who's basicly screamed out that "The football schedule should be ignored! Obey me!". If subjectiveness to you is to follow what GAR says, and the crew of the film intended, then sure. That's one sure-fire-way to misinterpret the word "subjective".
    You keep making comments about "what GAR says", I am speaking for myself, not GAR. My subjectiveness is my own, not anyone elses. I was sure you were involved in my "Land happens before Day" discussions. Ever here GAR or any crew members say that?

Infact, I can't believe that you even said that... You're basicly stealing my line!
    Indeed I was!

Also, it's quite frustrating when you accuse me of saying things I've never said. I never said that the film took place in 197X, and that's that. Look it up yourself before you even go on making such a claim. Infact, all I ever claimed was that the football schedule was on the wall, and shouldn't be ignored (unless you choose to do so, but it's still there). Man, oh, man Philly, have you missed the mark. Please, do not accuse me of saying things I never have. It's kinda annoying, actually, and not good for the "debate".
    Yes, I completely understand the concept of being accused of saying things you never said. For example, I never said you said the movie took place in 197X.

As for Rollerball, it's set in a future where the 70's never stopped!
    Cool idea, or scary thought?

Banned
    Banned User

Undisclosed

United States
    Okay I may have seen it but I do not recall Rollerball. Help me out here...

Does the movie contain any text, dialogue, props, or direction that shows you that the film is one that is set in the future?

This could be futuristic vehicles, devices, voice overs, scrolling star wars text, books.... anything?

Edit to add:

Things like...

In the not-too-distant future, wars will no longer exist...

This movie will haunt your future ... because it's almost here!

The next war will not be fought - it will be played.

In the future there will be no war. There will only be Rollerball.

In the not-too-distant future, wars will no longer exist. But there will be Rollerball

I would then say, based on this, costuming, and props the movie is CLEARLY intended to take place in the future. It is expressly stated, implied, and written.

The same can not be said for Dawn in my opinion.

Dawn is a movie that was made to exist at the time it was shot, it in no way attempts to portray itself as a period piece. It is not timeless, it is not set in the future, it is not set in the past. It is set around the time it was shot.

Period.
    Last edited by Thorn; 06-Jan-2009 at 04:11 PM.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post

Does the movie contain any text, dialogue, props, or direction that shows you that the film is one that is set in the future?

This could be futuristic vehicles, devices, voice overs, scrolling star wars text, books.... anything?

Edit to add:

Things like...

In the not-too-distant future, wars will no longer exist. But there will be Rollerball
    This is a pretty good indication...http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/g...rball_ver2.jpg
    Last edited by bassman; 06-Jan-2009 at 04:11 PM.

United States
    Agreed.

That movies is set in the future.

Dawn was set in it's present day, or the tag line would have been...

"In the far far off future, when there was no more room in hell the dead would walk a technologically advanced earth where the people elected to live like it was 197x in a state of perpetuation"

United States
    The football schedule implies nothing about time period. It could be memorabilia - five years old still hanging there as evidence of their once great season.

I'm impressed at the screen shot though. I could never pull that kind of stop-motion detail off of any of my copies of Dawn.

Has anyone ever considered that GAR may be seeding inconsistencies in the movies as his own inside joke on the fans? "Let them chew on this for a while if they want to nit-pick. Hahaha"

United States

Edit to add:

Things like...

I would then say, based on this, costuming, and props the movie is CLEARLY intended to take place in the future. It is expressly stated, implied, and written.
    I guess I didnt explain enough about Rollerball. bassman posted a pic that shows the poster, which does say "In the not too distant future..." although this could mean a few years, or a few hundred years (in the grand scheme of time in the universe). But it is expresses, implies and is written to be in the future. However, the props, dialogue, etc. are clearly 1970's. Which was the point of my question. There is conflicting evidence. To me, it is OBVIOUS that the movie is set in the future, yet if we use fashion as the key, then it would be in the 70's. So which would you say is the factor to determine when it is?

The same can not be said for Dawn in my opinion.

Dawn is a movie that was made to exist at the time it was shot, it in no way attempts to portray itself as a period piece. It is not timeless, it is not set in the future, it is not set in the past. It is set around the time it was shot.

Period.
    I agree with most of what you say here. I completely agree with your comment that Dawn was not intended to be a period piece. From wikipedia:
    In the performing arts, a period piece is a work set in a particular era. This informal term covers all countries, all periods and all genres. It may be as long and general as the medieval era or as limited as one decade—the Roaring Twenties, for example. Most commonly seen in film. A period piece movie is also referred to as a costume drama.
    This goes to my point, Dawn was NOT a period piece, NOT in the 1970's.

I also agree with your statements that it was not set in the future, and was not set in the past. If not those two, then when? Answer: the present.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly_SWAT View Post
    You keep making comments about "what GAR says", I am speaking for myself, not GAR. My subjectiveness is my own, not anyone elses. I was sure you were involved in my "Land happens before Day" discussions. Ever here GAR or any crew members say that?
    Then why are you having such trouble accepting the football schedule? I mean, it's there, after all.

Yes, I completely understand the concept of being accused of saying things you never said. For example, I never said you said the movie took place in 197X.
    Are you telling me that your entire Nascar analogy was basicly just you rambling nonsense at random?

Cool idea, or scary thought?
    The latter, unfortunetly.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    The football schedule implies nothing about time period. It could be memorabilia - five years old still hanging there as evidence of their once great season.

I'm impressed at the screen shot though. I could never pull that kind of stop-motion detail off of any of my copies of Dawn.

Has anyone ever considered that GAR may be seeding inconsistencies in the movies as his own inside joke on the fans? "Let them chew on this for a while if they want to nit-pick. Hahaha"
    This is exactly what I am saying. Well, the part about the schedule not implying anything, not the "GAR seeding inconsistences" bit

EDIT: Below is a merged auto post. I hate that!

Then why are you having such trouble accepting the football schedule? I mean, it's there, after all.
    Ummm... I wasnt aware that I was having trouble accepting that it is there. I was the one who posted the screenshot to begin with. I am saying it has no bearing on "when" it is in the movie.
    Are you telling me that your entire Nascar analogy was basicly just you rambling nonsense at random?
    Ummm..no I am not telling you that. It was a real world example of old dated items sitting out in plain sight, which should not be indicative of "when" it is.
    Last edited by Philly_SWAT; 06-Jan-2009 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    The football schedule means nothing really, to me, except that it's set sometime in the 70's. But you know, somehow, while looking at all the fashion stuff, the video games and all that... I kinda got that feeling anyhow.

And remember, art is personal, so it's my own damn right to view the film as when the fashion implies: The 70's!

If someone makes a film that's not set in the future, and features a heavy load of 70's fashion... Well, then call me crazy, but I just assume it's set in the 70's.
    Last edited by EvilNed; 06-Jan-2009 at 04:38 PM.

United States
    The football schedule means nothing really, to me, except that it's set sometime in the 70's. But you know, somehow, while looking at all the fashion stuff, the video games and all that... I kinda got that feeling anyhow.

And remember, art is personal, so it's my own damn right to view the film as when the fashion implies: The 70's!

If someone makes a film that's not set in the future, and features a heavy load of 70's fashion... Well, then call me crazy, but I just assume it's set in the 70's.
    If someone makes a film set in the perpetual present, and doesnt make a movie/computer program hybrid that can change clothing styles as time passes, and accepts their limitations and understands that fashion always changes, and therefore no way to take that into account...call me crazy, but I have the capability to look past the fashion and see it as the "present".

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    If someone makes a film set in the perpetual present, and doesnt make a movie/computer program hybrid that can change clothing styles as time passes, and accepts their limitations and understands that fashion always changes, and therefore no way to take that into account...call me crazy, but I have the capability to look past the fashion and see it as the "present".
    Aha! And there, I won the argument. Because now, finally, you understand that art is personal. Nice chat we had.

(Altough I would like to point out that there is nothing in Dawn that suggests it's set in the perpetual present. Nothing at all, infact.)
    Last edited by EvilNed; 06-Jan-2009 at 04:45 PM.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    If someone makes a film set in the perpetual present, and doesnt make a movie/computer program hybrid that can change clothing styles as time passes...

George Lucas?

Nah, I kind of agree with you on that one, philly. The films are pretty much timeless as long as you can look past the clothes/cars. Then again...I'm one of those people who feel that the films aren't connected in anyway other than zombies, so it doesn't matter to me when each of them takes place.

BTW....this thread has been keeping me highly entertained. Keep it up!

United States
    Aha! And there, I won the argument. Because now, finally, you understand that art is personal. Nice chat we had.

(Altough I would like to point out that there is nothing in Dawn that suggests it's set in the perpetual present. Nothing at all, infact.)
    I always implied art was personal, and explicitly stated it a few posts ago. That was never in question. YOU were the one saying I didnt think that, I never did. If that was your point in the argument, it could have been cleared up long ago.

My point was that by using logic, the existence of the schedule does not give an indication of "when" it is.

And what WOULD imply it is set in the perpetual present?
    Last edited by Philly_SWAT; 06-Jan-2009 at 04:49 PM.