Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Twilight Zone (film)

United States
    Awesome series, period.

Matter of fact, recently my son and I have found the joys of the Twilight Zone audiobooks. Hosted by Stacey Keach to boot.

Some of them are direct re-tellings of some of the shows, but I swear some of them are some new stories I had never heard before. Then again, I haven't seen every single episode that was on TV, so I could be wrong.

United States
    The Dummy.

Helped give me an unreasonable fear of ventroloquist dummies as a kid...

Those aren't real problems, Sam.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Yeah! The Dummy was freaky. There was also another one I saw with a doll. I don't know the name of it, but a mom and daughter bought a talking doll and it ends up threatening the father. He goes nuts and tries to destroy it, but nothing works.

"My name's Talking Tammy and I don't think I'll let you live much longer" Or something like that. Creepy stuff. It made Child's Play seem like a rip off...

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Yeah! The Dummy was freaky. There was also another one I saw with a doll. I don't know the name of it, but a mom and daughter bought a talking doll and it ends up threatening the father. He goes nuts and tries to destroy it, but nothing works.

"My name's Talking Tammy and I don't think I'll let you live much longer" Or something like that. Creepy stuff. It made Child's Play seem like a rip off...
    "My name is Talking Tina and I think I can hate you"...
    Those aren't real problems, Sam.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    How friggin great was this series? Over the New Year weekend the syfy network was running a marathon. I hadn't seen the original series since I was a kid, really. It's now about three days since it ended and I can't stop thinking about it...

I'm not one to normally bitch about modern television too much, but they sure don't make 'em like they used to, do they? 52 years later and Serling's show is still incredibly gripping and often downright horrifying!

There's not much of a point to this thread other than to show some love and say I found a new love for something I hadn't seen in many, many moons. Anyone own the dvd or (available)Blu Rays? Any thoughts on if they're worth it? The dvd set is down to a reasonable hundred bucks these days, so I think i'm gonna give it a chance.

So what are your fond memories or favorite episodes of Twilight Zone?
    i have the DVDs and they are completely worth it. as for fav eps, christ where do i start?

"the purple testament" - a WWII soldier can tell who is going to die next.

"mr. denton on doomsday" - a drunken gunslinger gets a new lease of life.

"the howling man" - a man releases the devil

"a penny for your thoughts" - dick york can read people's thoughts after a coin lands on its edge.

"the obsolete man" - a man is put on trial for being obsolete.

"a game of pool" - a pool shark gets his shot against the champ.

"the last rites of jeff myrtlebank" - a man returns to life during his own funeral.

"living doll" - title tells it all

"a short drink from a certain fountain" - one of the 5 or so best eps in my opinion. a older man with a young wife seeks a way to recapture his youth.

"number 12 looks just like you" - a futuristic society forces people to undergo medical procedures that render them young and immune to disease.

"the masks" another one of the greats. a dying man forces his greedy relatives to wear masks that reveal their true natures.

---------- Post added at 10:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 AM ----------

that is "living doll", a completely awesome ep.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    i have the DVDs and they are completely worth it.
    You a special features kind of guy? How are the docs, commentaries, etc? I've heard that there are college Q&A's with Serling that play over some episodes. Essentially being the closest we'll ever get to a Serling commentary. I'm excited about that. I believe Matheson and quite a few of the "name" actors contribute to commentary tracks as well...

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    But dude, the show is so good... I wouldn't bother with any extras, cool though they may be.
    "I'm Talking Tina, and I'm going to kill you..."

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by blind2d View Post
    But dude, the show is so good... I wouldn't bother with any extras, cool though they may be.
    "I'm Talking Tina, and I'm going to kill you..."
    I just want to get the most bang for my buck. I'm going to buy the whole series either way. I'm hooked. Even been watching episodes on youtube.

The Definitive Collection dvd set seems like the way to go. I would like to hold out for the blu rays as they have more features and better picture, but the price and on-going seasonal releases kinda turn me off.
    Last edited by bassman; 05-Jan-2011 at 04:22 PM. Reason: .

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyRay View Post
    "My name is Talking Tina and I think I can hate you"...
    And the dad was played by Telly Savalas( TV's Kojak - "Who Loves Ya Baby? " ) and films like Kellys Heroes and The Dirty Dozen.

Wayne Z

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Are you sure he introduced each episode on screen? As I said earlier, i've only seen select episodes on a tv marathon, but I remember a few where it was just Serling's voice.
    I think you're right. I vaguely remember there being a few episodes which we don't see Serling at all, only hear him.

The only thing I actually own is a "best of" compilation. Now that the series DVD is down in price, I'm going to have to get it. One of the greatest shows of all time!!! Also loved The Movie.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Yeah, I just finished The Monsters Are Due On Maple Street. No Serling...just a voiceover. But what an episode! You would think Romero directed it if you didn't know any better.

I'm really falling in love with this show. I just kinda thought it was "aight" when I was a kid, but now it's incredible. Thank god I can see them on youtube until I get the dvds.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    "the howling man" - a man releases the devil
    Is that one where a bunch of monks have the devil captured, and he's disgused as man pleadig to be let out?

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    You a special features kind of guy? How are the docs, commentaries, etc? I've heard that there are college Q&A's with Serling that play over some episodes. Essentially being the closest we'll ever get to a Serling commentary. I'm excited about that. I believe Matheson and quite a few of the "name" actors contribute to commentary tracks as well...
    there are a ton of special features and most of them are interesting. instead of trying to come up with a list off the top of my head, i'm going to copy the info from amazon:

Excerpts from Rod Serlings’s Audio Lectures at Sherwood Oaks Experimental College.
    • Audio Commentaries by Martin Landau, Don Rickles, Cliff Robertson, Jonathan Winters, Shelley Berman, Bill Mumy, Leonard Nimoy, Mickey Rooney, Mariette Hartley and more.
    • Video Interviews with Richard Matheson, George Clayton Johnson, Earl Hamner, Jr. and more.
    • Vintage Audio Recollections with Buck Houghton, Buzz Kulik, Douglas Heyes, Lamont Johnson, Burgess Meredith and more.
    • Isolated Music Scores featuring the legendary Bernard Herrmann, Jerry Goldsmith, Fred Steiner and more.
    • Rod Serling Promos for “Next Week’s” Show.
    • Rare Rod Serling Appearances: The Liar’s Club, The Mike Wallace Interview, The Garry Moore Show, Tell It To Groucho, The Jack Benny Show and more.
    in some ways i am a special features guy and in others, not so much. i enjoy commentaries very much but am extremely bored by "making of" type things. i don't like having every thing explained and demonstrated. for me, that takes almost all of the magic out of a movie.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Warner Brothers has set a new Twilight Zone movie in motion. To be directed by Matt Reeves(Cloverfield, Let Me In), they describe it as a one-story science fiction action film.

I've got no problem with Reeves, but science fiction ACTION film? WTF?

United States
    currently watching all seasons of tales from the crypt, going to start on the twilight zone series after i'm finished. may even splurge on the complete dvd set.

as for this new movie, the word "action" in a press release is certainly the turd in the punchbowl here....and a one-story movie? sounds like a totally ignorable money-grab that i'll be avoiding like the plague. no thanks.