Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars VII (film)

Ireland
    Yeh, didn't really care for the Star Trek reboot myself. It was ok, but not the revelation that a lot of people claim it is.

...and it's a bloody stupid idea to boot...or reboot.

Personally, I would have liked to see 'Star Wars' remain a Lucas production. This is where his real strength lies. He's clearly no director, although he did just fine on 'THX-1138', 'American Graffiti' and 'Star Wars'. Most of his ideas are great, it's just the unbridled execution of those ideas that are the problem. If ever there was a person that needed a steadying hand, it's George Lucas. We forget now, but this is the man who brought us the original Star Wars and Indiana Jones ideas. Even though, those basic ideas eventually imploded. Unfortunately, he's shot himself in the foot spectacularly in the last couple of decades, leading to his decision to turn his back on everything.

I don't have any expectation that a new trilogy will be any better than the last one. I certainly cannot think of a modern day director who I'd like to see at the helm. Maybe Christopher Nolan? Certainly not the makers of the incredibly overrated Matrix films, nor Del Toro either. And I am definitely nonplussed by the J.J Abrams prospect. His back catalog is nothing to write home about.

At the end of the day, this new Star Wars trilogy will have nothing to do with the original films. It's just the name that will remain. For most people, Star Wars will begin with 'A New Hope' and end with 'Return of the Jedi' and that's it.

The best thing that could come out of this Disney business is a new remastering of the original trilogy, sans crappy Jabba, Greedo firing first and piss poor songs. If Disney does that, then I'll be happy.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    The two best things about this new trilogy are that Lawrence Kasdan(Empire) is on board to flesh out the script, and someone other than Lucas is directing.

These two aspects are what made Empire arguably the best of the series.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    The two best things about this new trilogy are that Lawrence Kasdan(Empire) is on board to flesh out the script, and someone other than Lucas is directing.

These two aspects are what made Empire arguably the best of the series.
    Agreed & agreed. Kasdan for the win.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    Wow!! I disagree with Moon AND Trin about something? What is happening?!?!
    That's a little something I call BEING WRONG!
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    That's a little something I call BEING WRONG!
    What it this. . . "wrong". . .that you speak of? I have never encountered such a thing before.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    What it this. . . "wrong". . .that you speak of? I have never encountered such a thing before.

Administrator

England
    Sounds like Disney are going to milk this franchise for all it's worth - http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118065708/

"We plan to make 'Star Wars' 7, 8 and 9 over roughly a six-year period of time starting in 2015," Iger told CNBC's Julia Boorstin. "But there are going to be a few other films released in that period of time, too."
    There's already rumours for a dedicated Yoda film, and/or, Han Solo film...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    Harrison Ford back as Han Solo! I'm amazed! Wouldn't have thought Ford would have been interested!

http://latino-review.com/2013/02/15/...s-episode-vii/
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    Oh no...

United States
    Hells to the yes, please.

Ireland
    Do we really want to see a 70+ Han Solo trying to tun around the place?

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Do we really want to see a 70+ Han Solo trying to tun around the place?
    I would love to see them move the timeline ahead and use the Timothy Zahn books as inspiration (minus some questionable side treks), but think they'd be better served by recasting and zipping ahead 20 years. The only major actor I'd be okay with aside from droids and major costumed characters etc. would be, maybe....MAYBE...Mark Hamill, and even that is more due to sympathy. That said, it doesn't matter what we think, unfortunately.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I'm open to the idea of Solo returning, but I think it would work best if they just come up with an all new set of characters.

Aces....sympathy for Hamill? What do you mean by that?

Undisclosed
    I find my lack of interest for these films surprising. Used to love the originals.
    Then the prequels came...

I guess I'm turning into one of those grumpy old men: "everything was better when I was younger ..."
    Shrugs

Administrator

England
    Just hope they can turn them around with the same quality of Tron for example...
    -Carl Sagan