Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: i have a puppy pitt bull

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Crappingbear View Post
    Keep in mind that Dachshunds were bred to be badger hunters so they have huge heart and are natural hunters. If they see a squirrel, all your yelling isn't doing squat, they want that squirrel and are on it. I saw one crawl in a big drain pipe for a home gutter system thinking it was a badger hole. They are tunnelers which Im sure you already found out with them loving to get under the covers in bed. They also like high places and usually make the top of the couch their nap area.

Yup. The name dachshund literally translates to "badger warrior". Fearless & have no concept of their own size. Tunneler, check, & high places? Favorite spot is to crawl up your chest & work his way around until he's riding your shoulder/draped around behind your neck.

United Kingdom
    I love dachshunds... the only downside to them is that their extra-long back is more prone to problems than other dogs, so you should really carry them up and down stairs and discourage them from jumping on and off the sofa etc to minimise any strain on their spines.

Oh, and the name just means "badger dog" in German... sort of makes sense if you look at the word, "hund" = "hound"
    La freak, c'est chic!

.:Twitter:.:Facebook:.:Blogspot:.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Chic Freak View Post
    I love dachshunds... the only downside to them is that their extra-long back is more prone to problems than other dogs, so you should really carry them up and down stairs and discourage them from jumping on and off the sofa etc to minimise any strain on their spines.
    Yeah that's been a concern. We're trying to be very careful how we pick him up. carry him, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Chic Freak View Post
    Oh, and the name just means "badger dog" in German... sort of makes sense if you look at the word, "hund" = "hound"
    Duh. I should have known that. That's what I get for trusting teh interwebz...

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    We got a miniature dappled dachshund puppy for Christmas we named Buddy. I guess we'll never have this problem...

*EDIT* GHAH! Stupid Flikr won't let me link, & the album isn't letting me UL them here!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34980711@N03/3246449944/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34980711@N03/3246453746/

Finally figured out what I was doing wrong. Here's Buddy: