Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New 'Survivors' series from the BBC

Administrator

England
    Three episodes in and enjoying it - Little 'slow' in places by today's standards, but so far so good
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United Kingdom
    The new version does sound a tad gash. "Less bleak"?? As has already been said, that's half the charm of the original series. It has that gritty bent-on-survival coldness that make other cheapo TV like Blake's 7 brilliant (imo, I know it's not everyone's cup of tea). I would have thought that zombie fans would be more inclined to like it though because of the civilisation-descending-into-chaos survivalist element.
    La freak, c'est chic!

.:Twitter:.:Facebook:.:Blogspot:.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Chic Freak View Post
    The new version does sound a tad gash. "Less bleak"?? As has already been said, that's half the charm of the original series. It has that gritty bent-on-survival coldness that make other cheapo TV like Blake's 7 brilliant (imo, I know it's not everyone's cup of tea). I would have thought that zombie fans would be more inclined to like it though because of the civilisation-descending-into-chaos survivalist element.
    Blakes 7 (at least the earlier series) was fantastic!

God I want that remade (well)!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    Some promising news...

A poster at the Dr Who Forum has seen the first episode....this is what he says...

Saw a screening of the new Survivors tonight. Won't spoil you. It comes out at the end of October and was a really polished bit of television. Shot on 35 mm, so I'm told, it looks amazing. A great concept and doesn't vary too much from the original, just adds a few nice new twists into it. But the shots of long empty stretches of motorway and empty cities were spooky. Some great performances all round... Patterson Joseph for the next Doctor I say.

But its a great bit of telly, as strong as any US counterpart. I can't wait to see the rest.

And another:-

I was at a screening of it last night too!

Sadly, no, it doesn't retain either the theme tune or a similar title sequence. It's a rather generic modern TV sequence of names over a bland drum-beat. It's one of my pet peeves, actually, that nobody ever does a decent theme tune or title sequence for programmes any more. Where's the melody, people??!

Anyway, that's about my only bugbear about the whole show. It's very very good indeed. As Darenthomas said, it looks *gorgeous*. It's shot like a feature film and it's very harrowing indeed. I'd say that it's about 90%-95% identical, plot-wise, to the first two episodes of the 70s series. All the character names are the same, many of the set pieces are identical... and some aren't. But I'm not going to say another word about that!!!

Julie Graham is SO much better in this than Bonekickers, I'm glad to say. Freema is lovely as always, and there's guest appearances from loads of familiar faces. I think my favourite was Nikki Amuka-Bird (the unsuspecting alien Sleeper agent in the Torchwood ep of the same name) as a Ministry of Health official. She's just *great*.

In short, I can't wait for the series to start!
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    Just finished watching the first series... Good stuff

Looking forward to series 2 & 3 now!
    -Carl Sagan

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Blakes 7 (at least the earlier series) was fantastic!

God I want that remade (well)!
    Yeah, that would be an interesting project. The original series has one of the most shocking finales in the history of science fiction TV. It's a shame Blakes 7 never scaled the same heights as Doctor Who and Star Trek, it was very underrated IMO.

Administrator

England
    -Carl Sagan

England
    This starts on Sunday BBC1 9pm I think
    Just seen an advert for it and it had a bleak atmosphere
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    there is a relatively long write up on scifiwire today about the new series. no airdates for north america yet. guess i'll have to find an alternate means of watching it.

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index...ory=0&id=62245
    Last edited by Mike70; 19-Nov-2008 at 03:38 PM.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    there is a relatively long write up on scifiwire today about the new series. no airdates for north america yet. guess i'll have to find an alternate means of watching it.

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index...ory=0&id=62245
    My Spider senses are tingling! Short of a one armed lesbian in a wheelchair, the cast look a little too PC. They also look mostly young and pretty... Please don't say this is Hollyoaks on a farm
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    My Spider senses are tingling! Short of a one armed lesbian in a wheelchair, the cast look a little too PC. They also look mostly young and pretty... Please don't say this is Hollyoaks on a farm
    i don't have much of a warm and fuzzy about it either but i am going to give the new show a fair chance. it will be difficult though. the original is way up on my list of all-time fav tv.

now that you've seen series one of the original, there is one episode that stopped me in my tracks. it caused me to see the characters in a whole new light. i had thought that they were better people than they actually were.

i'll put it in spoilers for anyone who hasn't seen the old show:

the episode where they execute barney. right up until it was actually done, i didn't think that they'd go through with it. interesting turn to the story and something that caused much discussion in my house as we were watching.
    Last edited by Mike70; 20-Nov-2008 at 12:57 AM.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Administrator

England
    i don't have much of a warm and fuzzy about it either but i am going to give the new show a fair chance. it will be difficult though. the original is way up on my list of all-time fav tv.

now that you've seen series one of the original, there is one episode that stopped me in my tracks. it caused me to see the characters in a whole new light. i had thought that they were better people than they actually were.

the episode where they execute barney. right up until it was actually done, i didn't think that they'd go through with it. interesting turn to the story and something that caused much discussion in my house as we were watching.
    Indeed!

...and then on finding the culprit, in their new little society they basically had to let him carry on as normal to try and make the group work/survive.

I fear 2008 PC BBC will not be able to produce TV like that!
    -Carl Sagan

England
    This is on BBC HD as well

MY HOME CINEMA

England
    Well, I managed to miss the episode that has just gone out...but I doubt it could have been any better than the originals anyway...I may grab the DVD when it comes out, or maybe DL and episode or two to get a taster.

Anybody UK side watch it? Any good, or just standard BBC PC propaganda?

That was a genuinely upsetting episode...briliantly done IMO.
    Last edited by Legion2213; 23-Nov-2008 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

England
    Having recently watched the originals myself, I would say don't bother. Typical BBC1 Sunday drama. Followed roughly the same storylines but didnt pull it off. I won't be watching the 2nd part

MY HOME CINEMA