Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (film)

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by krisvds View Post
    The original films must be my most revisited set of scifi - films.
    My appreciation of them seems a bit different from the rest of humanity's as I like 'Beneath' as much as the original and I have no problems whatsoever with the low budget 'Battle'.
    I actually have grown, over the years, to really appreciate Battle. I didn't really understand whether it was supposed to be a closed loop, or alternate timeline...or lead to an alternate timeline when I was watching as a little kid, so it seemed weird and off putting to me. Can't blame yuonger-me really, as the original writer who did the treatment seems to have varyingly maintained the story is a closed loop in the past, despite it clearly leading to open line possibility.

I think it was a great way to end the series.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I suppose it's open to interpretation, but I've always felt Battle made it a closed loop. After Battle, it would later lead into the original "Planet..." or at least a variation of it. Although...was Caesar's son Cornelius supposed to be the Cornelius from Planet-Conquest?

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I suppose it's open to interpretation, but I've always felt Battle made it a closed loop. After Battle, it would later lead into the original "Planet..." or at least a variation of it. Although...was Caesar's son Cornelius supposed to be the Cornelius from Planet-Conquest?
    I wouldn't think so, if it's a closed loop. And I'm fairly sure that this is an alternate time line.
    The original leader of the ape rebellion was a gorilla named Aldo, who was the first to utter the word NO, as had been done so by their human masters. But this took place hundreds of years after the great plague which had killed off all the dogs and cats. In Escape From POTA, when Zira gave birth to Milo/Caesar, he became the new leader, who could speak because his parents could. Sound about right?

Wayne Z

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by wayzim View Post
    I wouldn't think so, if it's a closed loop. And I'm fairly sure that this is an alternate time line.
    The original leader of the ape rebellion was a gorilla named Aldo, who was the first to utter the word NO, as had been done so by their human masters. But this took place hundreds of years after the great plague which had killed off all the dogs and cats. In Escape From POTA, when Zira gave birth to Milo/Caesar, he became the new leader, who could speak because his parents could. Sound about right?

Wayne Z
    Although events had been changed due to Cornelius and Zira's time travelling, Aldo was technically in Battle. He asks if Ape should ever kill man, everyone panics, then he later says No to his human teacher, iirc. Not exactly the same as the original timeline, but similar in a way.

There are so many similarities and differences at the same time, I think it was meant to be open to the viewer's opinion. There are good arguments for both sides as to whether it was the same timeline loop or an alternate timeline.

Banned
    Banned User

Aaland
    WZ seems to have a grip on this topic.Others,not so much.

DH

Administrator

England
    Official site up - http://www.dawnofapes.com/
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    New poster:

Could that baby be Cornelius?!?

Administrator

England
    ^^ CGI is getting amazing!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Undisclosed
    Me too.
    Who would have thought the first one would turn out so good? One of the very few actually good remakes/re-imaginings in recent years.

Administrator

England
    Clever stuff isn't it! Not just the motion capture, but the fact the human characters, and all their gubbins so so perfectly chopped out and replaced with an ape and/or background (that wasn't caught on film because things were in the way).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qYyEM224z8
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed
    I was looking forward to this sequel before, now I am really looking forward to it.
    The only thing I dislike is Caesar's voice; it's like he's impersonating Nolan's Batman or something ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpSaTrW4leg
    Last edited by krisvds; 19-Jun-2014 at 11:47 AM. Reason: .

Administrator

England
    ^^ Shame these trailers are showing so much Stopped half way thru!
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    ^^ Shame these trailers are showing so much Stopped half way thru!
    I'm still stoked.