Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ZOMG, Dee Amish have gunz0rs!!!!/You Have To Be F****** Kidding Me!

United States
    Then Talk to them, and make sure other parents talk to other kids. Any person that commits these type of actions is mentaly damaged, and if you can identify them before something like that, I think it would be a hell of a lot better then putting 20 cops in a class room and trying to intimidate a mentaly messed up teenager
    "if wishs were fishes we'd all cast nets" - Gurney Hallack

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Tied2thetracks View Post
    MORE GUNS IN PRPER HANDS!
    Guns are already coming into the schools. why would anyone be again liason officers?

This generation of kids are screwed up more than others, when my kids get to HS age I want them to be safe.
    Putting armed officers in school-rooms will inevitably cause more senseless violence.
    Hell, a kid can grab a gun on any city corner cheaper than he/she can buy crack.

Some book-head or Jock gets pissed, buys a gun, rebels (not thinking clearly due to anger) gets shot by one of your liason officers and next thing you know, there are MORE victims (family & friends of both officer and irrational bratty kid that thinks a gun makes him King ToughGuy)...
    Guns are not the answer.
    I'm not "anti-gun", I own several, but I don't think you should use them on punks that get pissed at the world because Judy wont go to the dance with him (or whatever).
    Education and communication is a better way. That's why these kids are turning out to be the little monsters they are.....a lack of communication and education.

Quote Originally Posted by Exatreides View Post
    Then Talk to them, and make sure other parents talk to other kids. Any person that commits these type of actions is mentaly damaged, and if you can identify them before something like that, I think it would be a hell of a lot better then putting 20 cops in a class room and trying to intimidate a mentaly messed up teenager
    BINGO!!!
    Last edited by Adrenochrome; 03-Oct-2006 at 02:38 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

United States
    last I checked you needed to be 18 buy a gun and there was a3 day waiting period. If you are pissed after 3 days chances are nothing will prevent you from doing whats in your head.
    I know youd rather see me gone,Than to see me the way that I am. But I am in the life anyway.

United States
    last I checked you needed to be 18 buy a gun and there was a3 day waiting period. If you are pissed after 3 days chances are nothing will prevent you from doing whats in your head.
    The last gun I bought was in Memphis, Tn (a little .380) and the waiting time was about 30 minutes..... they did the background check right there - All I needed was photo ID (DL) and soc. card.... this was a few years ago. If the laws have changed again, I don't know. (I know in Mississippi you can get them same day as well. or could)
    But, guns can be bought on the street by thugs that sell stolen guns. A kid can get pissed, buy a gun, and head back to shool within an hour if they know where to go and who to deal with.

United States
    Last I checked, it was illegal to buy pot, cocaine, herion, acid, etc. in the United States. Doesnt change the fact that it is a multi-billion dollar industry. If someone wants to get a gun, they can get a gun, regardless of laws.

United States
    Then why try to change the laws if they don't matter in the first place?
    I know youd rather see me gone,Than to see me the way that I am. But I am in the life anyway.

Administrator

England
    The simple truth is, with freely available fire arms, your right to own a weapon (and most likely never use it) gives every nutter, rapist and psycho the right to own and potentially use it

Quote Originally Posted by Philly_SWAT View Post
    If someone wants to get a gun, they can get a gun, regardless of laws.
    If they really want to, yes, but there's degrees of difficulty. For example is it easier for a disfunctional teenager to shoot his class mates, by going home and unlocking his dads gun cabinet, or finding the right people in the right place at the right time...?

Yes, if someone really wants to get a gun of course they could... But if we take myself for example, I wouldn't have a clue where to get one. And I suspect that's the case of most people in this country.

Now, I'm of course not suggesting we're right and your wrong etc. But what I am suggesting is simply using your argument is not fair or productive.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrenochrome View Post
    A kid can get pissed, buy a gun, and head back to shool within an hour if they know where to go and who to deal with.
    What's your gut feeling? Most school shootings involve legally or illegally owned weapons? Bet you most are legally owned...
    Last edited by Neil; 03-Oct-2006 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    What's your gut feeling? Most school shootings involve legally or illegally owned weapons? Bet you most are legally owned...
    I'd be almost positive that the guns used by the kids are snuck out of their parents closet or the top drawer of a bedside table.
    Which puts me back at communication and education.

Administrator

England
    Fair enough... But there will always been nutters, psychos and insane spur of the moment decisions...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Fiji
    MORE GUNS IN PRPER HANDS!
    Guns are already coming into the schools. why would anyone be again liason officers?

This generation of kids are screwed up more than others, when my kids get to HS age I want them to be safe.

addressing point one: 1) the number of gun related school crimes as far as i know isn't on the rise, this is just the news filling a programming vaccum. Liason officers are proven not to work, they're effectively just glorified security officers. who bleed the school budgets.

2) what you have to do is actually look at school shootings. they break into two types generally. the first being "in-house" attacks perpitrated by students. these are of course more common. and the second type, nutters with guns. in truth really nothing can be done to prevent these short of massive public mental health screenings, which wouldn't go over well.

The first type of these attacks are preventable, by actually funding schools, and allowing them to employ actual mental health professionls, not jaggoff guidance counselors.

addressing point two: no they aren't the TV just pontificates about it more often. think about the **** you did in HS and got away with. in turth was it any worse than what's going on right now? no, not really. it's just the news making a big fuss of it.

I'd be almost positive that the guns used by the kids are snuck out of their parents closet or the top drawer of a bedside table.
    exactly.

Fair enough... But there will always been nutters, psychos and insane spur of the moment decisions...
    absolutely, but to be fair. nothing will stop people like this. if someone is intent on commiting a mass murder, be it with a gun, an sword, a plane, or a car. they're going to do it. we've seen that time and time again.

the issue here is to focus on both the crime and how it was commited, not the tools used. because in essence they're sterile.

not in pa. in pa it works like this.

-you pay a $5 fee so that the store can runn you drivers' license, or state issued Id through the local sherriffs office.
    -the sherriff on the phone runs your info through VICAP, NCIC, and a local warrants check.
    -if you come back green, your good to buy and go.
    -it all takes about 10 minutes, if the clerk is running slow.

when i bought my .38, i was in and out of the store in 15 minutes.
    Last edited by p2501; 03-Oct-2006 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Administrator

England
    [QUOTE=p2501;39759]absolutely, but to be fair. nothing will stop people like this. if someone is intent on commiting a mass murder, be it with a gun, an sword, a plane, or a car. they're going to do it. we've seen that time and time again.

the issue here is to focus on both the crime and how it was commited, not the tools used. because in essence they're sterile.QUOTE]

Agreed, but a spur of the moment decision - to maybe kill your school mates - is someone harder to carry out if you cannot just go home and simply get a gun out of a draw...

Allowing guns to be easily owned, unfortunately means they can be easily used/mis-used...

Don't know what the answer is though...
    -Carl Sagan

Fiji
    not in pa. in pa it works like this.

-you pay a $5 fee so that the store can runn you drivers' license, or state issued Id through the local sherriffs office.
    -the sherriff on the phone runs your info through VICAP, NCIC, and a local warrants check.
    -if you come back green, your good to buy and go.
    -it all takes about 10 minutes, if the clerk is running slow.

when i bought my .38, i was in and out of the store in 15 minutes.

United States
    [QUOTE=Neil;39765]
    Quote Originally Posted by p2501 View Post
    absolutely, but to be fair. nothing will stop people like this. if someone is intent on commiting a mass murder, be it with a gun, an sword, a plane, or a car. they're going to do it. we've seen that time and time again.

the issue here is to focus on both the crime and how it was commited, not the tools used. because in essence they're sterile.QUOTE]

Agreed, but a spur of the moment decision.......

The Columbine thing.....(and a recent plot foiled here in Missouri) were planned for a while and not spur of the moment. Those are the ones that worry me more. The spur of the moment wouldn't even explain the freak from yesterday in Amish country....he'd been harboring violence toward little girls for 20 years and finally snapped.

Fiji
    Allowing guns to be easily owned, unfortunately means they can be easily used/mis-used...

there really isn't an answer. that's the bitch.

people like this are like tornados, or earthquakes. it's a singular event under the umbrella concept that Life is sometimes very capricious and most certainly cruel. but it is what it is.

just enjoy the time you have, be vigilant, and try not to worry to much. that's the best you can do.

Canada
    Trust me, the Amish already have guns, they shoot from the age they can get a deer permit in MI, the girls get permits too, tho I think the boys actually tend to get the deer. Bow hunting as well.

An amish family friend used to go to montana for Elk also, they rent a bus and go out there.