Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: controversial post....NOTLD 68 = over-rated?

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I think LAND is over rated, Some people put it on way to high a pedestal.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

England
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    Can you hear that rumbling sound? That's MZ turning over the mighty engine of Dead Reckoning...
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    When did this happen?

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    Can you hear that rumbling sound? That's MZ turning over the mighty engine of Dead Reckoning...
    Nah. I think MZ(along with myself) has had his say in that department. DJ just likes to bring it up every chance he gets.....for some reason.

He's just a lonely ol' man.

Dj man....he creeps me out *picks nose*
    Last edited by bassman; 04-Jan-2008 at 04:24 PM.

United States
    I think the '90 remake is the one that is overrated. I just can't get into that movie.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post
    I think the '90 remake is the one that is overrated. I just can't get into that movie.
    Agreed what's the deal with Night '90? I saw it and didn't impress me much. I mean everybody kept saying it was better than the original, but the way I see it the remake was really inferior.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Agreed what's the deal with Night '90? I saw it and didn't impress me much. I mean everybody kept saying it was better than the original, but the way I see it the remake was really inferior.

I don't think I've ever heard anyone say that it's better than the original. I've heard that it's often more watched when people are putting on marathons because it's more modern and fits in better with the other three, but not that it's better.

Dying

Undisclosed
    I think some may like '90 more because it's in color. The original is a stone cold classic. It has as many good underlying themes as Dawn does. There just a bit dated.

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    I wouldn't call Night 68 overrated, though it certainly doesn't have the same impact today. Night 90 takes the story of Night 68 and refines it. Both are enjoyable films. I still watch Night 68 every Halloween night at midnight. But I watch Night 90 3 or 4 times a year if for nothing else but background noise (I have it in HD saved on my DVR.. where's the BluRay or HDDVD version damn it).

Banned
    Banned User

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    hahahah I know I am going to get kicked for this...but I've never really liked the original NOTLD....now don't get me wrong, i see it for all its virtues - for all the breakthroughs that it pioneered and all the new ideas that the movie introduced cinema goers to....well I just don't enjoy it that much....I know this is heresy - but I prefer Savini's remake...!!!!!

*shrinks back into corner*
    You've always struck me as a noob, so it really isn't surprising to know that you feel this way about the original NOTD.

But seriously... oh wait, I wasn't joking. You are a noob.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by major jay View Post
    I think some may like '90 more because it's in color. The original is a stone cold classic. It has as many good underlying themes as Dawn does. There just a bit dated.
    I think an area where NIGHT '68 being dated actually works in its favor is the depiction of the posse. The sheriff and civilian forces have an air of authority and respectability, and the "redneck" element is more subtle. It isn't until they are shown committing a fatal mistake (gunning down the film's hero) that the illusion of the authorities being competent is shattered.

In NIGHT '90, the posse is immediately depicted as stereotypical country bumpkins, just a step away from being murderers or, in Barbara's case, rapists. Outside of finding a bit too much enjoyment in their grim task, they're not actually shown to be doing anything wrong. Even DAWN's portrayal of the civilian forces as being an accident-waiting-to-happen is much less hamfisted.

Undisclosed
    Nothing wrong with you thinking its overrated. It is an older movie and some have trouble getting into those sorts of things, but just because a movie is overrated does not mean that you cannot think its at least good if not great.

I mean I am bias because its my favorite movie ever. I can see why people would like the remake though, but to me the remake lost alot of the realism the original had with the atmosphere and just the real feel to the whole thing, but everyone has to make their own decisions. I think the original TCM is a bit overrated myself.

United States
    Since this about Night. Can anyone tell me where to get the original script?

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by bd2999 View Post
    Nothing wrong with you thinking its overrated. It is an older movie and some have trouble getting into those sorts of things, but just because a movie is overrated does not mean that you cannot think its at least good if not great.

I mean I am bias because its my favorite movie ever. I can see why people would like the remake though, but to me the remake lost alot of the realism the original had with the atmosphere and just the real feel to the whole thing, but everyone has to make their own decisions. I think the original TCM is a bit overrated myself.

ahh now i love the original TCM.

I think you hit a good point about realism - Night90 definitely plays out like a movie whilst Night68 feels a bit more documentary in its execution - definitely a big difference there.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalLoco View Post
    You've always struck me as a noob, so it really isn't surprising to know that you feel this way about the original NOTD.

But seriously... oh wait, I wasn't joking. You are a noob.
    is there a middle finger emoticon? :middlefingerupyourass:

Ahh guess not.
    Last edited by SymphonicX; 07-Jan-2008 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Since this about Night. Can anyone tell me where to get the original script?
    The script is available on the Millennium edition DVD, or at Axlish's fine web site: NOLD '68 Interactive Script.

IMO, the NOLD shooting script was never refined or finished. Not that it matters one bit, but filmmakers never want to admit when a film is shot without a completed script because they feel it makes them look like hacks.

The character of Ben was completely changed once Duane Jones was cast, though several crude lines remain which are otherwise out-of-character for Ben as Jones portrayed him. The Cooper's kid starts out as "Timmy" but is changed to "Karen" about halfway through the script. Tom is also different, and Judy doesn't appear at all (her scenes were added during filming).

Check out John Russo's novelization, which is a good blend of the original script and the film's character changes.