Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Prince quoted as saying "the internet is over"

United States
    Although I love Prince's music and I hate what computers have done to the film industry, I can't agree with him here. I hope he is right but I highly doubt it. People are too caught up with computer shit.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
    so was george bush jr. and his father before him, prince was smart enough not to try politics. maybe dubya shoulda stayed in baseball?
    Oh dear god NO! DO NOT let this Prince thread drift into politics...

Quote Originally Posted by acealive1
    for the last 20 years? really?

so the last 20 years for prince went like this, 14 records totaling over 22 million sales(half of those with no record deal or promotional tours)
    22 Million "sales" over 14 albums is almost 1.5 million copies (on average) of every album album. I would like to see a realiable source for those numbers. I can't think of even the most 'big name' bands here in the US doing numbers that well aside from perhaps the top 4-5 bands and we know Prince isn't in the "top 5" here in this day and age. Now, if you consider 'worldwide' sales, perhaps, but wow is that hard to believe.

Matter of fact, from what I understand, between 1994-2000, the only album that was any kind of "commerical" success was the '99 EP "The New Master" - has he suddenly done something in the past 10 years to warrant 22 million in sales?

Also, are we sure they're "sales" and not "giveaways"? Does he count giveaways as "sales"? I bet 100 to 1 he does...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010...-album-release

Prince's new album may not be available in UK music shops or as a digital download. Although details for only two territories have been released so far, 20Ten, the singer's 27th studio album, will be issued in Germany and Belgium as a magazine cover mount. In Germany at least, 20Ten will not be available in record stores or as a download.

The German edition of Rolling Stone announced details of the album this week, offering the 10-song track-listing and promising a free copy with their August issue. Belgian newspaper Het Nieuwsblad announced the same free album deal to take place 10 July, the date of Prince's gig at the Rock Werchter festival. No details of UK or US distribution have yet been revealed, leaving open the possibility of conventional releases, or similar magazine offers.

Prince's music has been distributed with printed publications before. In 2007, the album Planet Earth was only available in the UK with copies of the Mail on Sunday. Although HMV stocked copies of the newspaper, music retailers were furious. Columbia Records opted not to distribute the physical CD in Britain, and even three years later it is not available on shelves or at iTunes.

I dunno man, just seems.... fishy.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyRay View Post
    Yeah...felt my first boob to "Purple Rain"...
    Yes but was it over/under the shirt?

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    Oh dear god NO! DO NOT let this Prince thread drift into politics...

22 Million "sales" over 14 albums is almost 1.5 million copies (on average) of every album album. I would like to see a realiable source for those numbers.

wikipedia takes their numbers straight from riaa.com......so no they're not 'fishy'

no ones drifting into politics, i was making a comparison

its really not far fetched at all to think prince has sold this many records. you vastly underestimate how popular he is

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    Yes but was it over/under the shirt?
    Over. Soft sweater.

Small thrill.

Small boobs.
    Those aren't real problems, Sam.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Over. Soft sweater.

Small thrill.

Small boobs.
    Yeah but for the first time i Bet they were as good as double DD's.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    wikipedia takes their numbers straight from riaa.com......so no they're not 'fishy'

its really not far fetched at all to think prince has sold this many records. you vastly underestimate how popular he is
    I'm guessing someone's a prince fan.

United States
    Yeah but for the first time i Bet they were as good as double DD's.
    Well, shit, Darth, it's still a big thrill.

I need to get out more.

Those aren't real problems, Sam.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

I need to get out more.

Exactly.

It's like, " I can't believe I just convinced a girl to let me do this. SCORE!"

United States

Just like how I could make a comparison to how Obama had less political experience than Sarah Palin before being elected to the office of presidency of the nation (and man oh man, it sure is showing!). But no, that's not leading this thread into a political direction -- it's just making a comparison between your comparison and the current political atmosphere. Because this statement has about as much in "comparison" to mentioning the Bushes (Bush's? Bushes'? Ah shit, where's my grammar guide?) in a thread about Prince.

Sigh... sometimes I think people intentionally try to turn threads into political matters around here, and I'm just calling out an asinine comment randomly tossed into a thread that has NOTHING to do with the thread. I'll be the first to admit I've been guilty of this before -- but I've been much more considerate in trying to keep away from doing this.

Back on target... Prince (or The Artist or whatever he is now branding himself) has done some incredible work. Of course, I think his best work came in the 80's but I loved some of his 90's work too. He's also a highly underrated but highly competent and amazing guitarist.

However, hearing from Prince about the "internet" and sales on it is a bit like asking Alec Baldwin what he thinks about the British elections or the pope what he thinks is the greatest film made in the last 10 years. There's just some things that shouldn't be properly answered by others. I know it comes to a shock to some folks, but celebrities (singers/actors) are not the end-all of all world-knowledge as the media likes to portray them.

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK

I need to get out more.

"feels...Like... a bag of sand-HOLY FUCK, STEVE CARRELL WAS RIGHT!?!"

United States
    wikipedia is also able to be edited by users, so using them as a source is not a good idea since they can be inaccurate. Wikipedia themselves doesn't use the RIAA as a source, but perhaps the people creating the page might. Then again, I can make a page for Ozzy and skew the numbers very easily.

Like I said, I'd like to see an accurate representation of his sales numbers. If that was the case, the RIAA is the wrong place to look considering their long history of lying about numbers. Soundscan would be one of the places to find the correct sales info, but I don't know anyone who has access to soundscan numbers.

thank goodness.. you know how this place can get.

I understand he's popular, but how is HE pulling those numbers and some of the top acts in the US aren't even coming close to that? He's not Michael Jackson so I still find it extremely difficult to believe. I'm not saying it's incorrect, I'm saying it's hard to believe he's sold those kinds of numbers when some of the top acts can't even achieve those with massive promotion from the big record companies. Prince essentially has had almost zero promotion behind him for years.

I'm just sayin'....
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 07-Jul-2010 at 12:37 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post
    Just like how I could make a comparison to how Obama had less political experience than Sarah Palin before being elected to the office of presidency of the nation (and man oh man, it sure is showing!).
    j.p.
    She has more experience in quitting her post, yes.

So just imagine what things would be like if she was prez.

United States

Beware the beast, man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.
    - 23rd Sacred Scroll, 6th verse

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    She has more experience in quitting her post, yes.

So just imagine what things would be like if she was prez.

NO! I refuse, that is just torture. The imagery would be perception overload and in my weakened state I may not survive it.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*