Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does certain kinds of music make kids evil? Or violent?

United States
    No, I dont believe there is any connection between violence in music, except Air Supply used to make me feel incredibly hostile.

Columbine kids did that because they were deranged. Charlie Manson listened to the White Album and that was HIS excuse and nobody would say they cause violence.
    Marilyn Manson is not even close to being thematically original except to many peoples ears because they heard of him because he is, in reality, a POP act.

And saying Hiphop is deplorable is like saying horror movies , or even movies in general, are deplorable because of I spit on your grave or cannibal holocaust. That is only one aspect of a genre or medium. I have watched and listened to the dregs of media regularly and I have never hurt anyone. I can undestand not liking a form of Music, and I can understand having only a lowest common denominator familiarity with it. But to say ALL of it is hostile to women is ridiculous. The generality is far from valid.

It's really easy to blame media and cultural influences of the artistic variety rather than the social reasons. Art may reflect and influence society but Marilyn Manson (who I dont even like ) is NOT Triumph of the Will.

What about in the Middle ages when even the gentry couldnt read and they boiled people in oil on the regular? Or sadistic Wars in Third World countries with barley ANY media?

You are Sadistic because you are a sadist. Thats it. I would think that the behavior of upper echelon authority is more influencial on abberential behavior than any f**king song.

Meatheads all over the US love Rage Against the Machine. Yet they voted for Bush. So there goes that theory. If it was so influential we would have had a Marxist revolution attempt.

It kills me when conservative go off on all this personal responsibility crap but try to blame a song when the person actually responsible for the criminal acts is..uh.. responsible. You can be inspired, or not. Ultimately its UP TO YOU.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyHicks View Post
    who me

Are you talking to me?

Are you talking to me?

Best Taxi driver impersonation I can do
    I dont see anyone else here so you must be talking to me..

Now THERES a movie that influenced violence.. to The Gipper
    Last edited by coma; 27-Jul-2007 at 12:52 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Up, Up and Away! ARRRRRGHGGGH

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

Sunny Gulfland, Within sight of the Beautiful Manatee River
    United States
    Marilyn Manson is a wuss who tries to be scarey and impresses adolecents who also try to be scarey. The powerless trying to look powerful.

However there is SOMETHING making younger and younger people strangely lacking in simple human empathy. Some blame the lack of prayer in the schools, I can't speak to that as I was mostly home schooled, but most kids are, IMO basically good, IN SPITE of the media perhaps.

M_

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by MissJacksonCA View Post
    so when you were in the gulf war you took men and threw a bag over their head while you made fun of them being so scared they pissed themselves and berated them and made home videos of how proud you were to have such power over someone else in their home country? i'm just curios...
    Next time I think I'll wear a suit of armor when confronting
    MissJ

Btw Coma, good post

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Actually , i like hip hop music, but that still doesn't make the content in it savory. I'm not a hypocrite and if calling females bitches and ho's is wrong then it's wrong whether i like the music or not. The lyrics make it cool to use that terminology, in turn it's used more and more by the youth, in turn they start to actually see women as actually being these mysogonistic terms that they calling them and treat them accordingly. It's only my opinion but i totally think it's relavent.
    Last edited by darth los; 27-Jul-2007 at 01:08 AM.
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Canada
    I can agree with you on that one darth.
    Some of the lyrics in some of the songs,
    I just do a double take.
    I still can't believe some of the songs out there...
    ugggh...what ever happen to the beatles

United States
    ugggh...what ever happen to the beatles
    Im sorry to be the one to tell you, but they broke up

Quote Originally Posted by Marie View Post
    Some blame the lack of prayer in the schools,
    You can pray in school. It just cant be MANDATED or ENDORSED. Besides lots of violent sickos pray and it doesnt deter then from starting bloodbaths. Religion, ideology, Culture are all just dressings. Its what you choose to do and your embraced level of empathy that determines your character. I have met many a total degenerate asshole who quoted the bible. It dont mean sh*t in determining conscience.

Btw Coma, good post
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Marie View Post
    Marilyn Manson is a wuss who tries to be scarey and impresses adolecents who also try to be scarey. The powerless trying to look powerful.
    Thats pretty much the definition and practice of Rock and Roll.

Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    Actually , i like hip hop music, but that still doesn't make the content in it savory. I'm not a hypocrite and if calling females bitches and ho's is wrong then it's wrong whether i like the music or not. The lyrics make it cool to use that terminology, in turn it's used more and more by the youth, in turn they start to actually see women as actually being these mysogonistic terms that they calling them and treat them accordingly. It's only my opinion but i totally think it's relavent.
    I know what you mean. I just was pointing out that much of it is ignorant and tacky. But not all of it, by a long shot.

And Too Short is the rudest, but man that dude is funny.

It may complement a misogynistic mind I just dont believe its the cause of it. If your that much of a sheep you're going to believe the first sh*tbag to come along who tries to get you to do something abhorrent.
    Last edited by coma; 27-Jul-2007 at 01:24 AM. Reason: shockingly bad spelling
    Up, Up and Away! ARRRRRGHGGGH

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

Kazakhstan
    jesus not this again.

no, i dont think it does. having been immersed in the heavy metal subculture for about a decade and having never witnessed a murder or known someone who kills animals for fun or whatever within it, i'd have to conclude that if heavy metal can warp the mind, it doesnt do a very good job of it.

i hate to wheel out these age old counter arguments, but religion, patriotism, family honour, social pressure etc are what cause most of these spree killings, but those things are integral to most people's everyday lives so they are hesitant to point the finger.

if you tell people that the pressure to conform in america causes feelings of intense isolation, which in turn can cause unstable individuals to lash out, they may have trouble believing this guy is responsible for sending people over the edge

but tell them that this guy brainwashes kids into doing it

and they have less trouble believing it. if you check out manson's music, he never sings about killing people or devil worship - but he looks the part.

and those kids didnt listen to manson, welcome to 1999. they listened to KMFDM and Rammstein.

although the guitarist from KMFDM is now in manson
    "Naturally, the common people don't want war, but they can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.
    Tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and endangering the country.
    it works the same in every country."

-Herman Goering, Hitler's Reichsmarschall, at the Nuremberg trials.

THE LEISURE HIVE

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Not at all. Only in people that are already screwed up psychologically and would end up doing bad things no matter what; whether or not they listened to that type of music.

My friends and I have been listening to "evil" and "bad" music (metal/punk) for many years (myself - 22 years) and don't re-enact any of the lyrics the bands we grew up listening to sung about.

None of us are running around throwing 40's at cops and burning down churches while drinking the blood of priests from a chalice. Sure, we joke around about it, but it's not something we'd ever come close to doing.

I also listen to NWA and Ice-T... but I'm not dealing drugs, "pimpin bitches", and doing drive-by's.

People that blame the actions of others on the music they listen to are just so feeble minded. Anybody that blames their own actions on music just want an easy scape-goat that the feeble minded will buy into.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    Not at all. Only in people that are already screwed up psychologically and would end up doing bad things no matter what; whether or not they listened to that type of music.

I think that's a perfectly reasonable view and one i hadn't considered. If it's true it's kind of like when only certain people can be hypnotized, you have to have a propensity for it first.
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States

The PMRC is alive & well...

So if music makes people menatlly ill and makes them kill, wouldnt the same go for love songs?
    There are millions of love songs, if music has such an impact, why isnt there more love in the world?

Miss J, you are in no position to judge the people who are fighting in that war.We all are, however , obligated to question our leaders.
    Most of the members here know why I feel this way.
    1989-94 10th MTN/160th SOAR Mogadishu Somalia...I was stationed at Rammstien Air Base in Germany during the Gulf War.
    I am sorry if I have made you upset.
    If you get pissed at me, well I can handle it.
    I would rather speak my piece and make you upset , than remain silent for my Brothers.
    Most know I think Iraq shouldve been left alone.

The backwards masking of lyrics is a tool to get money from people by Religious fanatic fund raisers.
    If you really believe that music causes murder, please look up the congressional hearings of sept. 18th, 1985 ,HR 1299.
    Frank Zappa is dead , but he made serious sense during his testimony.
    "Goodbye , I am gone."

United States
    Hey I didn't mean to be harsh on ya Rusty I never intend to offend or hurt peoples feelings... that would be wrong I apologise
    You smell that? That's the smell of spring, and I love it. You know what I love to do in spring? I love to come out into the woods, to walk amongst the budding trees, to smell and taste the hint of renewal that hovers in the air like a heady perfume, and to listen to the song of the birds who have returned from their long sojourn south. And bury the people I killed during the winter...

http://media.movies.ign.com/media/84...d_1882969.html

United States
    Music is not going to make somebody act out by itself. It is all how a person is raised. A sane person will not listen to Marilyn Manson and then decide to go kill somebody, the reason music is blamed for murders and peoples behavoir is because it is an easy scape goat for the media to push. Things that are disliked are always used as reasons for why people behave. The only thing that controls ones behavoir is that person, it is not the music, it is not the video games, it is not the movies they watch.

They may get ideas from what they see or listen to, but the things they watchy or listen to do not make somebody go out and shoot somebody. It's just easier to blame the media format than find and fix the actual problem, which is usually bad parenting combined with other factors such as the kid being bullied or uncontrolled bullying done by said kid. Instead of publicizing that the kid who went out and killed 3 people was being constantly picked on by the star jock at the school and snapped from the stress, they say "Oh, he played violent games, thats the reason he did it."

I remember there was a 17 year old kid who killed his grandparents in my town about 9 years ago. His father, when interviewed by the local paper, said that he got the idea to kill his granparents from Resident Evil because "Resident Evil is a game where you go around killing people with an axe." The article, after blaming a video game for the killings (and resident evil didn't have any axes in it as a weapon at that time) the article went on to say how the kid was in and out of mental hospitals his entire life for violent behavoir.

Now correct me if I am wrong here, but if your kid has been in and out of mental hospitals his entire life for violent behavoir you don't give him things that may influence him. The kid was mental to begin with, he killed his grandparents because he had problems to begin with, not because of a video game.

Basically, somebody who does something messed does not do it beacuse of one single factor, its a mixutre of things that cause them to do such acts.
    Check out my dvd collection @ http://jonas190.dvdaf.com/owned

My Gamertag is reculse189

Join me on Kongregate, its a cool game site
    http://www.kongregate.com?referrer=Jonas190

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DVW5150 View Post
    The backwards masking of lyrics is a tool to get money from people by Religious fanatic fund raisers.
    If you really believe that music causes murder, please look up the congressional hearings of sept. 18th, 1985 ,HR 1299.
    Frank Zappa is dead , but he made serious sense during his testimony.
    Amen, brother.

United States
    Well when you get into videogame influenes I immediately think up Dungeons and Dragons and the college kids who couldn't seperate fantasy from reality before going off and killing the one kids parents... while its unknown if that was merely their defense or an actuality who knows really... for non believers I think it could be something similar to sleepwalking crimes... for believers no proof is enough...
    You smell that? That's the smell of spring, and I love it. You know what I love to do in spring? I love to come out into the woods, to walk amongst the budding trees, to smell and taste the hint of renewal that hovers in the air like a heady perfume, and to listen to the song of the birds who have returned from their long sojourn south. And bury the people I killed during the winter...

http://media.movies.ign.com/media/84...d_1882969.html

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MissJacksonCA View Post
    while its unknown if that was merely their defense or an actuality who knows really... for non believers I think it could be something similar to sleepwalking crimes... for believers no proof is enough...

I think that you're spot on with that one. The fact is that we really don't know if it does or if it doesn't . With all that crap the gov't spends money on you'd figure that they could set aside a few million (which will fund less than an hour of the iraq war) and put it into reasearching what the hell is happening in society.