Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Doctors Had to Let Woman Die

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    Obviously this is a highly charged issue and people have very strong feelings on this matter that are likely preset in stone and are unlikely to be changed regardless of what others might think or say. Abortion, capital punishment, Dodgers vs. Angels, these arguments often get very heated.

Interesting case, btw.
    You forgot to add Marmite....

Wait do you lot even get Marmite over there? Think this issue is divisive? Marmite can split a room of friends right down the middle!
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    If we're discussing capital punishment, abortion or any of that other stuff, you'll be sure I'll throw myself into the fray. But this? This topic has bad news written all over it...

I can say this: If I were one of the doctors, I'd probably keep reminding me of my Hippocratic oath.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    That's an interesting view that I didn't consider - how does Hippocrates see this?! surely that very notion is something the docs should refer to in this situation? I don't know it inside out....but they should!
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    All I know is that Dr. McCoy would have done his best.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    All I know is that Dr. McCoy would have done his best.
    word mu'a-fucker.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    You forgot to add Marmite....

Wait do you lot even get Marmite over there? Think this issue is divisive? Marmite can split a room of friends right down the middle!
    Funny that you mention: Been trying to find Marmite or Vegemite here in Los Angeles for quite a while now - curious about what all the noise is about - but the usual venues have been out. Might be the best, or the grossest thing ever, but I just have to try this.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Funny that you mention: Been trying to find Marmite or Vegemite here in Los Angeles for quite a while now - curious about what all the noise is about - but the usual venues have been out. Might be the best, or the grossest thing ever, but I just have to try this.
    If I had to choose between marmite and cyanide, I'd pick cyanide.

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    If I had to choose between marmite and cyanide, I'd pick cyanide.
    You're having a laugh, aincha? Marmite/Vegemite is fucking lush. I spread it on two slices of Holy Ghost every morning.

Super Moderator

United States
    Jesus, am I glad I didn't start off my Monday morning reading this thread. As far as the particulars of the issue, I usually tend to bend towards a person's right to self-determination, but really...there's better ways to commit suicide I would imagine, and certainly ways that are less likely of putting other's in the vise of such a shitty decision.

Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    I spread it on two slices of Holy Ghost every morning.
    I take it by way of your rhyming slang, sir, that you in fact mean toast.

I'm on to you, all!

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    I take it by way of your rhyming slang, sir, that you in fact mean toast.

I'm on to you, all!
    Way to show that you're "down with the kids" MC McFunky Fresh!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    As far as the particulars of the issue, I usually tend to bend towards a person's right to self-determination, but really...there's better ways to commit suicide I would imagine, and certainly ways that are less likely of putting other's in the vise of such a shitty decision.
    I have a gut feeling that this woman's calling for an ambulance was a sub-conscious call for help. It doesn't matter what she wrote. She did not really want to die. After all, you go to a hospital because you want to live.

Right?

Ultimately there should be some sort of regulation about this. If you attempt suicide, then call for help (regardless of the reason) you give up your right to self-determination simply because you have now gotten someone else involved. You don't call people whose profession involves saving lives and then instruct them to do nothing so that you can die comfortable. That is insane (and insane people cannot make wise self-determination choices).

-stray-
    Last edited by strayrider; 06-Oct-2009 at 08:43 AM.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by strayrider View Post
    Ultimately there should be some sort of regulation about this. If you attempt suicide, then call for help (regardless of the reason) you give up your right to self-determination simply because you have now gotten someone else involved. You don't call people whose profession involves saving lives and then instruct them to do nothing so that you can die comfortable. That is insane (and insane people cannot make wise self-determination choices).
    Really good points, Stray. I think this is probably the best way to approach such a situation. I wonder how that jives with the law both here and in the UK, it certainly is a convincing argument.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by strayrider View Post
    I have a gut feeling that this woman's calling for an ambulance was a sub-conscious call for help. It doesn't matter what she wrote. She did not really want to die. After all, you go to a hospital because you want to live.

Right?

-stray-

Well, that's apparently a loophole in the law which i have a feeling Parlament will be addressing very soon, because where there's one...

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    You're having a laugh, aincha? Marmite/Vegemite is fucking lush. I spread it on two slices of Holy Ghost every morning.
    See this is what I am seeking. Here in the US a lot of breakfast foods are sweet, almost sickenly so. Pancakes, waffles, sweet rolls, a lot of the boxed cereals, all much to sweet for me in the morning. Havin heard of the savory, salty and mineral goodness of Vegimite/Marmite, I think that I would prefer this with my morning coffee to the sweet crap.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Super Moderator

United States
    See this is what I am seeking. Here in the US a lot of breakfast foods are sweet, almost sickenly so. Pancakes, waffles, sweet rolls, a lot of the boxed cereals, all much to sweet for me in the morning. Havin heard of the savory, salty and mineral goodness of Vegimite/Marmite, I think that I would prefer this with my morning coffee to the sweet crap.
    Philistine!

If you don't want to taste the sweet with your breakfast so much, just eat some sausage like any other red blooded, artery clotted American