Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MZ! How is that DVX100B treating you?

ViP

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Noice! I'm already planning on getting one, now I am just going to rush it even more. Thanks for the clips and keep them coming.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by axlish View Post
    I am guessing you are uploading via USB?

Get on a firewire card ASAP if you intend to do any serious filming/editing. They are pretty cheap, you could get a generic one for around 8 pounds.
    Now tell me something... When I borrowed someone's digital camcorder and came to transfer the footage to my PC, I did it via firewire. And it was a right pain in the ar$e!

You basically have to play the footage and record/transfer it realtime from the camcorder to the PC... Is that right?

Surely with modern technology you can just drag the data across as fast as possible, and not just at the rate of 2hrs of video in 2hrs of transfer time?

Like I said before, these are some shots I gathered yesterday at dusk and tried them out at 3 colour temperatures - full warmth, middle of the road, and full cold. It's about 2 and a half minutes, the shot right at the end was my favourite.
    That's beautiful!
    Last edited by Neil; 03-Nov-2006 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    lol, yes it's in real time. Because you're transferring the footage from a miniDV tape, where the footage doesn't exist as a data file of course, so it has to be played through.

Now, if it's one of those DVD camcorders, then (I think) you can just drag the files from the disc that you've ejected from your camera and stuck in your computer ... not sure if that is the case with DVD camcorders because I never bothered looking into them, more trouble than they're worth I reckon, nothing wrong with a miniDV in my eyes, hehe.

Indeed, uploading miniDV is real-time. However, a good bit of software will allow you to type in In and Out Points which will tell the computer to tell the camera where and to start playing (so the computer can upload the footage) and then tell it where on the tape to stop - so you could go off and do something else if you wanted. But that's on better editing softwares (which are harder to learn and for people who do a lot of editing).

One thing I like about uploading in real time is I can review the footage during the process, so I list all the shots and takes that I have and use a simple code to tell me which ones are good and which aren't and which can be used for different purposes.

Then of course there are newer camcorders coming out which have their own hard-drive, those ones are a case of dragging and dropping files, but of course with those if the drive buggers up it's all messed up. With miniDV if the tape gets messed up it's only that tape and you get a fresh tape, rather than a whole new hard-drive with all your footage lost.

*taps noggin* Not just a hat rack my friend.

*additional*

Why thank you Neil. I've got this obsession of late with sunsets and the colours of the sky, it's easy to get a good shot (well, I suppose having "the eye" for it helps too) when nature's done most of the work for you.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 03-Nov-2006 at 10:05 PM.

ViP

United States
    On the newer hard drive cameras, I guess you could just drop the file onto your hard drive and wait for the transfer.

The DVD cameras, you'd still have to rip the disc.

Real time is no big deal to me, in fact I think it is awesome. Then again when I first started out, I was using the USB which took around 20 minutes to snag a 45 second clip.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Why thank you Neil. I've got this obsession of late with sunsets and the colours of the sky, it's easy to get a good shot (well, I suppose having "the eye" for it helps too) when nature's done most of the work for you.
    youre gonna go all joe fronz and get addicted to shooting in "the golden hour"

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    youre gonna go all joe fronz and get addicted to shooting in "the golden hour"
    lol ... you know what, I think I may very well just end up doing that. The magic hour is indeed magic, the colours of the sky are just fantastic ... *wanders off into a drugged-out (yet actually non-drugged) state, eyes glazed over and staring at the sky*

la la la la la laaaaaaaaa...

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    see told ya'.

ViP

United States
    Heck, with those color temp features, you can create your own magic hour lighting.