Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unreal Tournament 3 or Call of Duty 4?

Super Moderator

UK
    I've gone back to Project 8 now, but I've certainly got COD4 on the mind. I'd played it so much yesterday that I ended up having a dream about it, either me in the game, or me with the game in my possession...can't really remember, but yeah...brilliant game.

That mission where you retreat up the hill (blowing off C4 triggers laid out in a building for you as do) and then charge back down using air strikes that you place for backup so you can get to the extraction point is just intense stuff.

I even played the last mission (penultimate, if you include the one after the credits) twice because I enjoyed the dramatic climax so much, that final moment is so classic Hollywood it's untold.

Undisclosed
    Currently playing the game. So far so good.

Super Moderator

UK
    Where are you up to on COD4 now?

Bloody good stuff ain't it?

Undisclosed
    Not too far. I didn't play much over the weekend, because of homework and the fact I was at a frat party all day on Saturday. This is how far I got.

I am past the part after the nuke blew up the city. And my character died. Assuming he is dead.

Super Moderator

UK
    Ahhhh the end of Act 1 is where you're at.

Indeed, your USMC soldier is dead and gone, did you crawl out of the chopper and see the destruction? It's an awesome end to that Act I have to say, action & drama packed.

Undisclosed
    Yeah, I managed to crawl out and look around. Bad ass mushroom cloud.

Undisclosed
    The singleplayer mode is good..Ive just met the dogs so Im guessing Im lagging far behind you guys. I got distracted by the sweet MP, currently a Master Gunnery SGT with a custom mp5 with a red dot sight o course.. Think Im gonna get UT3 anyway for christmas such a big diffrence..UT3 is pickup and play and you can do that with this but bah. This is alot more epic thanks to the bullet penetration plus it does the whole war is hell thing well with the quotes when you die..Never had a call of duty game that didnt.

Cornish gives this four pints of scrumpy outta five
    Why arent you laughing?

Super Moderator

UK
    Bits with the dogs...have you been to Pripyat-15-years-ago-as-Price yet?

Man alive that's a tense level, occasionally a bit tricky too - coming across a group of soldiers on a road and you're on one side and you've got to get to the other...oooh betty the tension was killing me.

There's dogs on that level, and then ah dude, the escape from that level - again - tension coming out the wazoo. But a superb rendering of Pripyat, my heart was certainly kicked up a notch.

Apparently whilst getting mauled by a dog you click the right stick and you snap their necks, but I haven't done that, I just shoot them as they leap for me or earlier. Oh, and for those on the Pripyat level, shoot the dog at the fence, it's just easier.

Undisclosed
    I have snapped a number of necks, but it is tricky. Sometimes it doesn't respond. I beat the game last night, btw. Too short. Like every other shooter. Hey, after you beat the game, let the credits continue to roll. There is a special surprise at the end.

Super Moderator

UK
    Indeed, I'd read a review that tipped me off to the secret epilogue mission, I guess it was one they had in mind but couldn't fit into the story.

I think games these days are a bit on the short side due to storage capacity of the discs with the fancy graphics we now have, plus the length of development time and such.

But COD4 is totally worth the cash, as well as multiple replays. COD2 for instance, played it through at least 4 times, but I think it was actually 5, and then played certain levels on their own again multiple times in addition. COD4 will be the same way for me.