Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WGON: Short for "Goblin"?

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    I liked the Euro cut. I certainly wouldn't say it was better, but it made things fresher and more interesting for me (I have seen the US theatrical and the UK extended cuts dozens of times). It was much faster paced and more focused on the plot at had rather than the subtext, which made it much more of a lighthearted action adventure. The fast pace makes it feel a little less cheesy too. It was fun ride as opposed to a deep and thoughtful film!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    I liked the Euro cut. I certainly wouldn't say it was better, but it made things fresher and more interesting for me (I have seen the US theatrical and the UK extended cuts dozens of times). It was much faster paced and more focused on the plot at had rather than the subtext, which made it much more of a lighthearted action adventure. The fast pace makes it feel a little less cheesy too. It was fun ride as opposed to a deep and thoughtful film!

I told you their tastes were different Bassman.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post
    Really? Call me crazy ('cause I am), but I think Goblin's soundtrack in "DAWN" is absolutely incredible and probably one of the best horror film soundtracks I've ever heard. I couldn't imagine DAWN in my head without hearing the Goblin soundtrack along with it -- when I think of zombie's personally, the DAWN/Goblin music gets stuck in my head... it's almost inseperable for me.

Honestly, Goblin's soundtrack is really the only "horror" music from any horror film that actually freaks me out and scares me depending on how late it is in the evening. I know I'm 29 and all, but that music just, well, still has the power to frighten me... it like freaks me out, man (nose pick).

And that electronic zombie-moan thing in the movie -- I don't know if Goblin did that or not, but I shudder every time I hear that...

j.p.
    Dude, I agree with you on all counts mentioned here. I feel the same way about the music. By the way, AWESOME Kaufman reference! I was cracking up!

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    It's been up time and time again, but I think most of the De Wolfe soundtrack is downright silly and immersion breaking. Especially the bravado tune at the end with Peter changing his mind about suicide. Talk about misplaced music...

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    That's one of my favorite pieces. Fits the scene perfectly, imo.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    That's one of my favorite pieces. Fits the scene perfectly, imo.
    Believe it or not, that entire ending scene is comprised of 4-5 different pieces of music.

Scotland
    I always thought the redneck scene was better in the Argento version too, with more energetic editing and smoother-flowing music (which fits better than "I'm a Man", although I like that track on its own). Compare:

United States
    I love the music in Dawn (the Goblin stuff) and I really love the music in Day.

Land had good music too, but it's so tightly integrated to the scenes that it's hard to pick out. It doesn't jump out at you.
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

United States
    hm. I liked the extra footage in the Argento cut, but I didn't care for the music. I guess I am too used to the "I'm a man" song.

The one major thing that struck me was how all the gunshots were also redubbed. Why is that?

United States
    GAR's cut is not as good as Argento's imo. Goblin is one of my favorite bands and I hated how there is barely any of their stuff in GAR's cuts of the film. The European cut is far superior in every way. The music is better, the bullshit political message is cut, the dumb helicopter zombie bit is cut, the biker scene has the best song ever backing it up, etc. The American versions of the film are really slow and music isn't there when it should be.

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by fulci fan View Post
    GAR's cut is not as good as Argento's imo. Goblin is one of my favorite bands and I hated how there is barely any of their stuff in GAR's cuts of the film. The European cut is far superior in every way. The music is better, the bullshit political message is cut, the dumb helicopter zombie bit is cut, the biker scene has the best song ever backing it up, etc. The American versions of the film are really slow and music isn't there when it should be.
    I LIKED the bullshit political message. It's not so much a political message as a comment on humanity. I'm one of those people who believes that a good movie should have a POINT to it, and not just document a bunch of events.

However, I also liked the Argento cut because it turns the movie into a lean action adventure flick. The original is perfect for immersing yourself in Romero's world, IMO the Argento cut is better for watching with a mate and some beers.

BTW, I don't remember the helicopter zombie scene being missing from the Argento cut, I need to check that out.

United States
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0qsi...eature=related

United States
    Wait, what "political message" are you referring to? I didn't realize there was a political message in the film. I know there's a strong anti-consumerism message about materialism/consumerism (consumers as being mindless zombies, heh, literally) but I don't see this as being overtly/inadvertly/directly or in any real way as being "political" so much as practical.

Do others see this as a "political" attack against Capitalism in some way? If so, apparently those folks don't understand Capitalism outside an elementary school level. Capitalism is not the same as consumerism -- and I don't think consumerism is really political.

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by sandrock74 View Post
    hm. I liked the extra footage in the Argento cut, but I didn't care for the music. I guess I am too used to the "I'm a man" song.

The one major thing that struck me was how all the gunshots were also redubbed. Why is that?

I realy couldn't say but the one thing I do know is that it the dubs sound very unatural and out of place.

I'll tell you one thing, if I was ntroducing a friend to GAr films and wanted to show them Dawn for the first time the last thing I'd do is show them the argento cut. It would be the director's cut for my money. It's a much tighter, coherent cut than the extended version, imo.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Undisclosed
    GAR's cut is not as good as Argento's imo. Goblin is one of my favorite bands and I hated how there is barely any of their stuff in GAR's cuts of the film.
    Now you're just being stupid with this "I love the Italians" nonsense. Goblin's DAWN score tries too hard to sound "American." Anyone the least bit familiar with their work would realize that.

Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    However, I also liked the Argento cut because it turns the movie into a lean action adventure flick.
    Because Lord knows we don't have nearly enough of those.
    Last edited by DubiousComforts; 04-Mar-2010 at 04:57 PM.