Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite scene in Dawn?

United States
    Oh man, I think I'm gonna have to see this movie again. All the scenes described above are awesome. From the dialogue to the action to the unforgetable characters, this is without question, my favorite movie of all time.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Christmas Island
    The revealing of Flyboy as one of the undead. I always wondered how long he would have stood there staring at the closed elevator doors if they hadn't opened.

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusIncredulous View Post
    The revealing of Flyboy as one of the undead.
    That's a fave of mine also. Am I alone in saying that the music on the extended version didn't give that scene quite as much impact as it did in the theatrical?

United States

Favorite Scene in Dawn ...

Man , I remember seeing it the first time at a midnight movie showing with friends when I was 16 or so . My first viewing is my affected opinion . The first shot of the red rug wall is just forshadowing . Desparation of the tv crew , when I was first watching it , I could feel the death creeping into the walls . I just put the extended dvd version in 'cause I havent watched it at least a year so ... Zilla Clintons' work is very good , acting is friggin panicked perfect , WGON camera man hears flyboy whispering "... We've got to survive ..." and says ," Go ahead ,we'll be off the air by midnight .The emergency networks are taking over , Our responsibilty is finished ." There will never be a finer work in desparation and horror . Poor Rod Tucker , Roger tells the kid to stay cool & not to pop off , & Rod takes one in the forehead . The music dates the film , that 70's feel . Wooly was a idiot , got what he had coming to him ... The one-legged priest in the basement : " You are stronger than us , but soon I think they be stronger than you ...When the dead walk , We must stop the killing , or lose the war ..." creeps me out .
    "Goodbye , I am gone."

Christmas Island
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnKnut View Post
    That's a fave of mine also. Am I alone in saying that the music on the extended version didn't give that scene quite as much impact as it did in the theatrical?
    Nope, you're not alone. Great transition from Gonk to Goblin in the theatrical.

Undisclosed
    Definitely my favorite scene is when Roger ask Peter to take care of him when he goes.

The whole scene that plays through to Peter shooting him. Every time I see it and Roger starts rising up under the cover, Dr Millard Rausch in the background. UNEMOTIONAL!!! POW!, I can feel the hair on my neck stand up!

I like when he says we are down to line folks, down to the line, and Roger is rising at the same time.
    "I Like Your Christ, I Do Not Like Your Christians,
    Your Christians Are So Unlike Your Christ."
    ~Mohandas K. Ghandi

Banned User

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by dmbfanintn View Post
    Definitely my favorite scene is when Roger ask Peter to take care of him when he goes.

The whole scene that plays through to Peter shooting him. Every time I see it and Roger starts rising up under the cover, Dr Millard Rausch in the background. UNEMOTIONAL!!! POW!, I can feel the hair on my neck stand up!

I like when he says we are down to line folks, down to the line, and Roger is rising at the same time.

ROGER did make a great zombie. it looked so real and believable

United States
    There are so many great scenes in this movie that it is indeed very hard to pick out a favorite. All of the scenes mentioned here are really good scenes. To me, one of my favorite scenes is very short, and if it had been cut out of the movie it wouldnt have ruined any of the plot points or anything, but it is so simple, and says so much with so little. It is the scene right as our group of 4 is heading downstairs to attempt to shut the main doors to the mall. Flyboy and Fran go down the escalator, but since Roger is hurt and in the wheelbarrow, Peter and he have to go down the elevator. Peter, overwhelmed by the fact that this man with whom he has been through so much with, a man who he has grown to love (in a non-gay way), has been bitten and not only is going to die soon, but is going to die and then "come-back" soon, tries to convey his love to his friend Roger. But being a tough guy, unused to speaking this way, and again being overwhelmed by his own emotions, Peter hardly knows what to say. Peter starts out........... "Look here man, I , uh........"

Roger, who knows exactly how his friend Peter feels, since he feels the same way also, and also as a tough guy not used to expressing these kinds of emotions to another man, realizes in an instance both that his friend Peter is struggling to say what he wants to say and exactly how his friend feels. He cuts Peter's attempt to talk off and says "I know. Shut up, will ya?" To me, this scene show perfectly the bond that these two have formed in the time that they have been together, a bond made even tighter due to the extraordinary circumstances that have taken place during that time. Just a short, 10 second scene, but it is one of the things that illustrates why Dawn of the Dead is the greatest movie of all time.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly_SWAT View Post
    Just a short, 10 second scene, but it is one of the things that illustrates why Dawn of the Dead is the greatest movie of all time.
    Exactly. Nicely done.

I couldn't pick a favorite that wasn't mentioned. All the personal scenes in the Mall are what make it great. It is non stop with subtle, meaningful dialouge and world class acting.
    Up, Up and Away! ARRRRRGHGGGH

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

Banned User

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly_SWAT View Post
    There are so many great scenes in this movie that it is indeed very hard to pick out a favorite. All of the scenes mentioned here are really good scenes. To me, one of my favorite scenes is very short, and if it had been cut out of the movie it wouldnt have ruined any of the plot points or anything, but it is so simple, and says so much with so little. It is the scene right as our group of 4 is heading downstairs to attempt to shut the main doors to the mall. Flyboy and Fran go down the escalator, but since Roger is hurt and in the wheelbarrow, Peter and he have to go down the elevator. Peter, overwhelmed by the fact that this man with whom he has been through so much with, a man who he has grown to love (in a non-gay way), has been bitten and not only is going to die soon, but is going to die and then "come-back" soon, tries to convey his love to his friend Roger. But being a tough guy, unused to speaking this way, and again being overwhelmed by his own emotions, Peter hardly knows what to say. Peter starts out........... "Look here man, I , uh........"

Roger, who knows exactly how his friend Peter feels, since he feels the same way also, and also as a tough guy not used to expressing these kinds of emotions to another man, realizes in an instance both that his friend Peter is struggling to say what he wants to say and exactly how his friend feels. He cuts Peter's attempt to talk off and says "I know. Shut up, will ya?" To me, this scene show perfectly the bond that these two have formed in the time that they have been together, a bond made even tighter due to the extraordinary circumstances that have taken place during that time. Just a short, 10 second scene, but it is one of the things that illustrates why Dawn of the Dead is the greatest movie of all time.
    Another scene that I feel reflected Peters and Rogers bond was at the end how at first Peter refused to leave with Fran when he said he honestly did not want to go (or something to that extent). To me that reflected his deep profound sadness of his friend Roger. i am not sure why he changed his mind and hurred up to the helicopter at the end. I would like to think it was Frans pregnancy kinda gave him something to look forward to live for.

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by HLS View Post
    i am not sure why he changed his mind and hurried up to the helicopter at the end. I would like to think it was Frans pregnancy kinda gave him something to look forward to live for.
    I always kinda had that vibe too. Just look at Peter's smiling face when he climbs into the chopper at the end, you know he wants Fran. Plus they were talking kinda nice together when they left the police dock in the extended version.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnKnut View Post
    I always kinda had that vibe too. Just look at Peter's smiling face when he climbs into the chopper at the end, you know he wants Fran. Plus they were talking kinda nice together when they left the police dock in the extended version.
    He's everything Flyboy wasn't.
    Peter also stood up for her about the weapon when flyboy was being an ass about it.
    Also, he was pretty much condeming Fran to a horrible death by abandoning her. No way a late stage pregnant woman could make it alone.
    Up, Up and Away! ARRRRRGHGGGH

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

United States

the cigarette scene

when they were about to leave in the whirly-bird and the dude asked after cigarettes and they all said they had none and then next thing you know everyone lights up at the same time...
    You smell that? That's the smell of spring, and I love it. You know what I love to do in spring? I love to come out into the woods, to walk amongst the budding trees, to smell and taste the hint of renewal that hovers in the air like a heady perfume, and to listen to the song of the birds who have returned from their long sojourn south. And bury the people I killed during the winter...

http://media.movies.ign.com/media/84...d_1882969.html

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Another classic sceneis when after all the chastising Fran did about the men being so seduced by this place that don'y don't see it's a prison as well. It's when she's making herself up in the mirror and she strikingly resembles the mannequin next to her. I think she realizes that she's succumb to the allure of consumerism as well. Actually that whole montage revealing that they have every material thing they could ever want but still aren't happy is classic, i'd dare call it art. It opens up a whole series of questions along the lines of what is life really about. I have know idea if GAR actually meant to do this to the extent that we analyze to mean, but it's there never the less.

United States

i just saw her modeling makeup after the mannequin

I figured she was looking to the mannequin for makeup ideas but your way makes more sense. A nice way to look at it but I thought they were as happy as they could be all things considered. The problem was of course that it wasn't going to last and that they were restless and bored. Looking at it your way makes me think its only a matter of time until all that you have is lost to the inevitability of life...which is death.
    You smell that? That's the smell of spring, and I love it. You know what I love to do in spring? I love to come out into the woods, to walk amongst the budding trees, to smell and taste the hint of renewal that hovers in the air like a heady perfume, and to listen to the song of the birds who have returned from their long sojourn south. And bury the people I killed during the winter...

http://media.movies.ign.com/media/84...d_1882969.html