Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Romero's movies in Blu-ray

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by DubiousComforts View Post
    So how does it look?
    Great. Day of the Dead's master may not be in the best shape but it's much more film like on Blu-ray. DNR is a bit of a problem but thats the same for the DVD's. Can't recommend them enough.

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    I just watched Dawn of the Dead on Blue Ray, and I must say that I am blown away. Anchor Bay has once again gone above and beyond the call of duty. The colors and shadows are so much more vivid now than ever before. I even noticed little details that I had never seen before, and this is coming from a guy that has watched this movie at least 40 times. The one scene that really stood out for me was before and after Roger turned. Before he turned, you could notice more details in his eyes such as swelling and pooling of blood. In previous DVD releases of Dawn, his eyes appeared to be simply caked with make up. After turning, the details in Roger's face are simply breath taking. The only drawback to the Blue Ray are the special effects. When I first watched Dawn on VHS, the special effects were brutal. Now, they stick out like a sore thumb.The Zombie lady attacking Roger in the truck really looked bad. When the front of her head came flying out, it looked very, very cheesy. I remember watching the VHS version and being shocked by this same scene. All in all, if you have a Blue Ray player and a big Dawn fan, then go pick it up right now. I still think the Ultimate Edition is the best.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    a little on topic thing id point out.

I started my degree in moving image production yesterday adn were only using blu-ray, make of that what you will.

Undisclosed
    So how does it look?
    yes dude u got to tell us

Australia
    Check this out, I've never noticed the zombie on crutches in this shot before.

Bare in mind that this screenshot has been downsized and heavily recompressed from the Blu Ray original.
    "28 Days Later came out after we started (Dawn 04). Our zombies were running before we knew what their zombies were." - Zack Snyder, LIAR.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by vito View Post
    yes dude u got to tell us
    I already told you how it looked on the top of this page.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    When they do HD-DVD cuts I will buy it. I can't see double dipping for a watered down Blu-ray cut, not too mention an inferior format (HD-DVD rules) My DAWN ultimate edition played through my HD_DVD player up-res'd to 1080P is fine for me... Also lets not forget it truly isn't a high def cut of the movie by any means as HD technology was even around in the 70's. The transfer on the Ultimate Edition is probably the best edition for Dawn of the Dead and aside from being an owener of every cut of Dawn on DVD... this I will pass on.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    Also lets not forget it truly isn't a high def cut of the movie by any means as HD technology was even around in the 70's.
    You do realize that the resolution of film itself is higher than the resolution of 1080p high-definition right? This is why older movies (not just newer ones) are released in both high-definition movie formats. Any movie that was filmed with actual film (as opposed to digital video) can benefit from a transfer to high-definition. It allows us to view our movies in a way that is just that much closer to the original film negative. The way it was intended.

It is worth mentioning that Warner's re-release of Blade Runner (1982) is being ported over to both Blu-ray and HD DVD using an 8k resolution scan of the master. Think of it as 8000 lines of resolution compared to the 1080 lines that Blu-ray and HD DVD support (or the measly 480 lines that DVD can support).

I can't see double dipping for a watered down Blu-ray cut, not too mention an inferior format (HD-DVD rules)
    Both formats have their strengths and weaknesses. Please explain to me why you consider Blu-ray an inferior format to HD DVD.

The transfer on the Ultimate Edition is probably the best edition for Dawn of the Dead
    Unfortunately, Anchor Bay went with the Divimax treatment for the Ultimate Edition of Dawn of the Dead. A type of DNR (Digital Noise Reduction) process that attempts to remove film grain from the picture. This in turn removes all high frequency details and blurs the image slightly. Although not bad by any stretch of the imagination, Dawn of the Dead could look better if the transfer wasn't tampered with like it is using the Divimax process.
    Last edited by UndeadGuyX; 15-Oct-2007 at 04:00 AM.

United Kingdom
    I already own 3 versions of Dawn (well, 2 are the same 'Director's cut' but you know,) is it worth getting the Blu-Ray version? I do have a PS3 but is it worth getting it really?

Edit: 127 mins - I don't think I'll bother just yet.
    Last edited by LivingDeadBeat; 18-Oct-2007 at 06:43 PM.

You've got red on you...

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by LivingDeadBeat View Post
    I already own 3 versions of Dawn (well, 2 are the same 'Director's cut' but you know,) is it worth getting the Blu-Ray version? I do have a PS3 but is it worth getting it really?

Edit: 127 mins - I don't think I'll bother just yet.
    If you want the best version available, then yes.

Chasing Prey

Canada
    not doggin HD or blu ray,but if they stretch or distort the picture anymore for a higher picture quality on a new format,the transfer will be useless.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
    not doggin HD or blu ray,but if they stretch or distort the picture anymore for a higher picture quality on a new format,the transfer will be useless.
    How are they stretching or distorting the image quality in making Blu-Ray or HD transfers?

The improvements in resolution is very easy to understand:

330x480 VHS
    560x480 Super-VHS
    720x480 DVD
    1920x1080 Blu-Ray

You're obviously going to see a superior image with the HD or Blu-Ray format where the resolution of 35mm film is greater than 1920x1080.

Chasing Prey

Canada
    i saw an interview with the director of bladerunner and he said to up it to hi def,they had to do the usual that they do to films and they distorted it a few times to the point there was no picture to try to raise it to 1080. so effectively they killed a copy of the movie a few times LOL

i still say superbit coulda made it as a format if the prices woulda dropped

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
    i saw an interview with the director of bladerunner and he said to up it to hi def,they had to do the usual that they do to films and they distorted it a few times to the point there was no picture to try to raise it to 1080. so effectively they killed a copy of the movie a few times LOL
    That makes no sense because you don't have to up film resolution to meet Hi-Def specs. It sounds like they were working from an existing transfer. Is the interview online? I'd like to know exactly what he was talking about.

I have multiple copies of DAY on VHS, DVD, plus x264 conversions from Blu-Ray and HDTV (which are still better resolution than DVD given the compression). I'll post an image comparison later so that you can see the difference in quality.

Chasing Prey

Canada
    That makes no sense because you don't have to up film resolution to meet Hi-Def specs. It sounds like they were working from an existing transfer. Is the interview online? I'd like to know exactly what he was talking about.

I have multiple copies of DAY on VHS, DVD, plus x264 conversions from Blu-Ray and HDTV (which are still better resolution than DVD given the compression). I'll post an image comparison later so that you can see the difference in quality.

im trying to dig it up now,it was for the bladerunner box set.