Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Timothy Olyphant insults Romero

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by thxleo View Post
    Exactly. I don't know how anyone can read his quote and not take it as a slap. He comes off as another typical snobbish Hollywood jerkoff.

yes dude, it is a slap in the face but its tim fucking olyphant. fuck that guy. we shouldn't pay any attention to him. he is clearly a guy with a WAY over inflated ego and, as you say, is a hollywood jerkoff. we ought to wear the dislike of shitheads like him as a badge of honor.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Undisclosed
    Another thing that bothers me in the article is drawing a line between low-budget and "campy". The article claims that due to better effects and budgets, that this won't be like the campy original.

Uh, say what you will about Romero's original film, but it's not campy. None of Romero's films are campy - I find that comment to be a slap in the face of the work he did which paved the way for the gritty realism of horror films to come.

Anyone working on the the new version of The Crazies should be celebrating the original - especially because it proves that good ideas never die.

I'm not saying they can't make a great remake - they can. But don't dismiss the original film because that's just disrespectful to everyone who worked on it.

pJ
    "See you in L.A., Marvin." - Jack Walsh

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I don't see why everyone is making this into a big deal. Olyphant doesn't know anything and doesn't like the film that he's remaking. Snyder already did this.

I couldn't help it.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by PJoseph View Post
    Anyone working on the the new version of The Crazies should be celebrating the original - especially because it proves that good ideas never die.
    I like this line of thinking quite a bit. If you're going to a remake/re-imagining/re-boot at least get it into your head how much you owe to the source material and people who did the original work and are providing a point of reference for your project with the viewing public.

I think that's just the tactful and common sense way to go about it.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Super Moderator

UK
    Another thing that bothers me in the article is drawing a line between low-budget and "campy". The article claims that due to better effects and budgets, that this won't be like the campy original.

Uh, say what you will about Romero's original film, but it's not campy. None of Romero's films are campy - I find that comment to be a slap in the face of the work he did which paved the way for the gritty realism of horror films to come.

I'm not saying they can't make a great remake - they can. But don't dismiss the original film because that's just disrespectful to everyone who worked on it.

pJ
    Can't say it any better - well said, Sir.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

pJ

I'll add to ypur point.

Let's just say for argument's sake that the original did suck and was campy. What does it say about the lack of original ideas or creativity in hollywood today that they have to go back and remake that film?

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    I'll add to ypur point.

Let's just say for argument's sake that the original did suck and was campy. What does it say about the lack of original ideas or creativity in hollywood today that they have to go back and remake that film?

Interesting you say that, because I've been saying for ages that Hollywood - if it must remake - should remake crap films, not good ones.

You can never do better than the original good movie, so why remake it? It's retarded.

Instead, take a shit film with potential - like Drive-In Massacre - and remake it. I bet you could make an awesome throw-back, drive-in era memory-lane slasher with that.

This all said, this doesn't mean I think The Crazies is shit, far from it, it's flawed and suffers from it's low budget - but on the other hand, they do a hell of a lot with their tiny budget, and the sight of chem-suited, gas-masked, gun-toting CDC sorts swarming a small town and ousting people from their homes is powerful stuff.

Undisclosed
    If anyone has checked out the discussions on the IMDB page, they've had a few people who were extras talk about it. It sounds like they've put some money into the military scenes at least, with helicopters, Humvees with .50 cals, and some attention to detail with the uniforms and weapons, with an extra reporting the troops wear the patch of the 34th Infantry Division, or the Red Bulls, with is the MN/IA Nat'l Guard, and the airsoft M-4s they carry are suitably tacticool-ed, with red dot sights, 3 point slings, and the other odds and ends that adorn the military's M4s.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post

Really? Why not Olyphantitis? As in huge swelling of one's ego for no apparent, or good, reason?
    Oooh, good burn, Aces!

Yeah, this dude sure knows how to ostracize what could have been and automatic, built in audience by dissing GAR. What an idiot!

pJ
    Yojimbo in agreement with PJ. Well said sir!

Quote Originally Posted by Wooley View Post
    If anyone has checked out the discussions on the IMDB page, they've had a few people who were extras talk about it. It sounds like they've put some money into the military scenes at least, with helicopters, Humvees with .50 cals, and some attention to detail with the uniforms and weapons, with an extra reporting the troops wear the patch of the 34th Infantry Division, or the Red Bulls, with is the MN/IA Nat'l Guard, and the airsoft M-4s they carry are suitably tacticool-ed, with red dot sights, 3 point slings, and the other odds and ends that adorn the military's M4s.
    So the millitary in this film will appear onscreen to be better equipped than the original.

All this tells me is that they had a bigger budget than Romero. I venture to guess that this film still will not have the impact that GAR's did - however faulted the OG Crazies might have been - in spite of the bigger budget.
    Last edited by Yojimbo; 03-May-2009 at 12:18 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post

So the millitary in this film will appear onscreen to be better equipped than the original.

All this tells me is that they had a bigger budget than Romero. I venture to guess that this film still will not have the impact that GAR's did - however faulted the OG Crazies might have been - in spite of the bigger budget.
    I'll agree since I haven't heard much about the script. Better detailed scenes don't do much without a good script. All in all, it reminds me a bit of the original Dawn and the remake.

I liked the remake's opening more, helped by a much bigger budget, which I think had a much better 'oh shit' feeling to it since we actually got to see Anna's quiet little neighborhood melt down.

The original opening, while pretty intense, allowed one to think that this was only going on in the ghettos or maybe just the cities, until the chopper flew over the boondocks with the mixed Guard/police/civilian search and destroy teams, and like Stephen says "It's everywhere."

I do know I won't be happy if they've got some happy 'cure discovered at the last moment and distributed to the townsfolk' ending, unless it's really well done. Romero's ending worked very well, small budget or big.

Super Moderator

UK
    I wouldn't be surprised if Romero's original ending will be "too bleak" for them these days at their budget, the scientist will probably survive, or someone will at least ... some stupid shite like that.

I liked the remake's opening more
    I'm surprised, I think the opening of Dawn is superb - last time I saw it (after having seen the movie like 25 times) I was suddenly more gripped than I'd ever been before, and found myself quite breathless by the end of the tenement segment.

Plus, Yawn04 simply had to go right back to the sodding beginning, while Dawn kicks off nearly a month into it - the sheer chaos in the TV studio says it all really, then we see the tenement bit kick right off and it's seriously action packed, fast-paced stuff - and the right kind of fast paced, not the shit they called the Dawn remake.

So much happens in Dawn's first 30 minutes, it's crazy.