4 21.05%
  • Tony Jaa

3 15.79%
  • Bruce Lee

9 47.37%
  • Jet Li

3 15.79%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who's the toughest martial arts star?

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnKnut View Post
    Damn straight, here's a taster for all those not in the know. Warning - contains violence.

Anyway, back to the poll.
    I think is even more impressive... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyKpKdSMwgs
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Maitreya View Post
    Ok, for all of you that voted anything besides Bruce Lee, I don't know how to put this, but...

You're wrong.

Bruce Lee's Jeet-kune-do is one of the greatest philosophies of martial arts ever created, it actually relies on real combat situations rather than proper martial arts fights.

I mean, **** the man could send a guy flying with his one-inch punch, he did it at a martial arts exhibition, not a movie. The guy was FAST too, he'd deliver 3-5 punches in the time it'd take someone else to throw one. The only person on that entire list that would give him a run for his money would be Tony Jaa, because that guy's awesome too, I was in total awe when I watched Ong Bak as well.

Jackie Chan's just a really showey escape artist and Jet Li's a ****ing joke.

Therefore I have to go with Bruce, although Mike's post does have a lot of merit as well

Yeah but we werent talking about who would win in a fight....I thought we were talking about the "toughest"

There is no target consumer! Only targets. Targets that will tremble as their new master hands down edicts in my glorious booming voice!

Kazakhstan
    do you define tough as ability to withstand injury/trauma, or ability to defend yourself? or a combination.

it think technically the chan would win, cos we know he can fight and we know he can withstand insane punishment. tony jaa is a more skilled and powerful fighter, but having only seen one of his films i don't know how much of a kicking he could take...

could someone maybe photoshop a picture of tony jaa pulling jackie chan's wife to ignite a confrontation & solve this once and for all?

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    i say jackie chan hes broke so many bones it puts tony hawk to shame and yet he still makes these movies after how many decades?, just because he's the funny guy dont mean he aint a hard bastard.

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by _liam_ View Post
    could someone maybe photoshop a picture of tony jaa pulling jackie chan's wife to ignite a confrontation & solve this once and for all?
    Wouldn't need to do that. Jackie Chan has already stated that Tony Jaa is the best on the planet right now.

But Chan did criticize the level of violence in Ong Bak and felt it was unnecessary to demonstrate real-life death moves on film. Chan has gone on to say that he's only killed one or two people (on film) in his entire career and that Jaa has killed dozens in his debut movie. Jackie Chan was okay in the day (Drunken Master, Master With Cracked Fingers etc) but now he's just an acrobatic actor. Phineas Fogg case in point.

And yeah, were talking about who would win in a fight as well as durability.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Ok, for all of you that voted anything besides Bruce Lee, I don't know how to put this, but...

You're wrong.
    Bull****. Bruce Lee has an undeserved idol cult which makes him out to be something he isn't. He was a great athlete, noone is contesting that. But Bruce Lee said himself that he would never ever want to face off against Muhammed Ali for instance, because he'd get beaten.

Bruce Lee had a really strong body and knew fancy wushu (and yes, later developed Jeet Kune Do) but never did anything to actually prove he was a great fighter. I bet that if Bruce Lee was alive today, he'd be wondering why the hell everyone called him that. He was not a fighter, he was an athlete.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Bull****. Bruce Lee has an undeserved idol cult which makes him out to be something he isn't. He was a great athlete, noone is contesting that. But Bruce Lee said himself that he would never ever want to face off against Muhammed Ali for instance, because he'd get beaten.

Bruce Lee had a really strong body and knew fancy wushu (and yes, later developed Jeet Kune Do) but never did anything to actually prove he was a great fighter. I bet that if Bruce Lee was alive today, he'd be wondering why the hell everyone called him that. He was not a fighter, he was an athlete.
    The only fight he ever lost was at the age of 14 in a street brawl?

Below... Bruce doing his two finger press ups!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    The only fight he ever lost was at the age of 14 in a street brawl?

Below... Bruce doing his two finger press ups!
    And there's only two recorded fights of Bruce actually fighting. One of them wasn't a smashing victory and the other was against a stuntman.

Undisclosed
    Theyd all get their asses handed to them by even the ****tiest of fighters in the UFC...

The reason I picked Jackie Chan is because he might be the only person of the bunch that would come back for seconds.....

There is no target consumer! Only targets. Targets that will tremble as their new master hands down edicts in my glorious booming voice!

United States

Actually if you'd ask just about any martial artist alive about Bruce Lee you'd receive a response that he was one of the greatest martial artists ever to live. Perhaps he wouldn't want to BOX Ali, because Bruce Lee didn't limit himself to just using a certain part of him, Ali fought with his fists only, Bruce Lee would have him beat in no-holds-barred combat, which Jeet-kune-do was centered around, doing anything it took to win a fight an defeat your opponent.

"You bitchass zombie mother****er, I swear to God I'll **** you up"

Official member of the Zombie Man Fan Club est. 2007

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Actually if you'd ask just about any martial artist alive about Bruce Lee you'd receive a response that he was one of the greatest martial artists ever to live. Perhaps he wouldn't want to BOX Ali, because Bruce Lee didn't limit himself to just using a certain part of him, Ali fought with his fists only, Bruce Lee would have him beat in no-holds-barred combat, which Jeet-kune-do was centered around, doing anything it took to win a fight an defeat your opponent.
    That's pretty much a load of crap, man. I've been doing alot of martial artists, and I'm pretty much appalled that you not only consider Bruce Lee to be a top notch martial artists, but infact one of the BEST ONES EVER. That's pure crap.

As Bruce Lee stated, he'd lose to Muhammed Ali if they fought, even in a mma. Why? Because Bruce Lee wasn't a fighter. he was an athlete.

United States
    Part of being a fighter is being an athlete, and no, Muhammed Ali would not stand a chance against Bruce Lee if they were to just fight normally. Bruce Lee was infinitely faster, stronger, and quicker-minded.

I say that he's one of the greatest, not only because of my personal opinion on him, but because many of my friends who are really involved in martial arts (I have quite a few) believe that, as well as their Senseis... Maybe they're wrong too.

I've been doing alot of martial artists
    Are they any good in bed? (I couldn't resist)

"You bitchass zombie mother****er, I swear to God I'll **** you up"

Official member of the Zombie Man Fan Club est. 2007

United States
    I've been doing alot of martial artists,.
    Like that tight ass, eh
    Up, Up and Away! ARRRRRGHGGGH

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

Banned
    Banned User

Undisclosed
    Bruce Lee, without a doubt. He's only the martial artist-turned-actor to create his own fighting system, Jeet Kun Do. Jeet Kun Do is an improved version of Chinese boxing and Kung Fu, without fixed positions and fighting stances. He was also one of the first "mixed martial" artists. He realized that one must be multi-faceted when regarding the combat arts. That's why he trained with grappling legend and Judo master, Gene LeBell.

This one is a no brainer. Bruce Lee.
    Last edited by Chaos; 19-Dec-2006 at 01:19 AM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by coma View Post
    Like that tight ass, eh
    I HATE YOU!!!

Anyway, Bruce Lee wouldn't stand a chance against Muhammed in his prime. Bruce Lee admitted that Ali could take a tougher beating than him and was just as fast. Could reach longer and was stronger... So, no. Bruce Lee would get flattened. And he was a good martial artist and athlete, but not a great one.

btw, I'm by no means an expert on martial arts. But I KNOW that the idol cult that has developed around Bruce Lee is mostly just gibberish. My friend, for instance, insists that Bruce Lee was constantly challenged when he got to Hollywood. Fact is he got challenged once.