Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars on bluray, but which version?

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Release is this September. Three different sets. Original trilogy, prequel trilogy, or the whole series in a nine disc set.

http://www.joblo.com/digital/index.php?id=7972
    Last edited by bassman; 06-Jan-2011 at 11:06 PM. Reason: .

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    PRE -ORDER LINKS:

EPISODES 1 - 3 - Normally $69.99

EPISODES 4-6 - Normally $69.99

COMPLETE SAGA BOXSET $89.99 (ON SALE - Normally $140.00)

I grabbed the BOXSET... 30+ Hours of bonus material you WILL NOT get if you order separately.
    Last edited by DjfunkmasterG; 07-Jan-2011 at 04:26 AM. Reason: Updates
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    Wow, great site. I love their Star Wars v. Star Trek article and the Star Wars Character or Hip Hop Artist quiz (I got less than 50%).
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

England
    Just pre-ordered the full 9 disc box set with extra goodies from Amazon UK - £70.

That bastard Lucas is going to be taking money off me forever, he'll probably leave instructions to release stuff after he's dead as well, I just know it!

If it has this legend on it, I'll buy it.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Super Moderator

UK
    Is it the original movies, or the shit CGI'd versions? If it's the latter I'm NOT interested. Fuck that noise.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I could be wrong, but from my understanding the original trilogy will be the "special edition" versions from the late nineties.

I'm sure the original originals will be released eventually.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Is it the original movies, or the shit CGI'd versions? If it's the latter I'm NOT interested. Fuck that noise.
    I watched the ending of Return of the Jedi, in original, and Lucas-gone-mad versions the other night.

The original edit is much more to the point and the score compliments it perfectly, ending on a real high. The Lucas-gone-mad version drags on and on with a score that feels someone lost and thus the film ends a bit off!

The ending ruins the film so much for me , along with the dreadful new band in Jabba's palace, I cannot watch ROTJ in the new format.

As regards New Hope, the various edits there again annoy me too much to allow me to watch it. I love the new XWing CGI scenes, but the countless new CGI aliens falling over, along with the daft Han Solo cuts are too much again!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Exatreides View Post
    "What will be disappointing to many fans is that the Blu-ray discs will be of the updated, 1997 special editions of Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, not the original theatrical releases of the films."
    This is why I'll never buy any of the SW movies on BR or any other format. Fuck Lucas and his constant tinkering of a classic - release the original theatrical versions or piss the hell off.

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    The man's an idiot for not releasing what the fans want. The money excuse is bullshit, it's LucasFilm for one thing - they're riiiiiich, bitch - and fans the world over want the originals cleaned up and in widescreen. It'd make a packet of money - GL is a moron for refusing to do it. We don't care if it's his preferred version, we prefer the originals!
    This!

Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I'm sure the original originals will be released eventually.
    I wouldn't count on it. I thought the original prints of the first three films was overwritten when he "enchanced" (ie: FUCKED UP) the CGI and some of the effects the first go-around with this bullshit.

Regardless, even if that isn't the case, if he hasn't done it now, this dumb son of a bitch never will.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    I wouldn't count on it. I thought the original prints of the first three films was overwritten when he "enchanced" (ie: FUCKED UP) the CGI and some of the effects the first go-around with this bullshit.

Regardless, even if that isn't the case, if he hasn't done it now, this dumb son of a bitch never will.
    I'm no expert on it like some and I don't really mind the changes on the DVD "special edition" release, but they DID release the original edits on DVD. Lucas claimed he never would, but eventually did after fans asked for it. Not to mention....you know he can't pass up a chance for the double dip buck. This WILL NOT be the only SW Blu Ray release. You can count on that.
    Last edited by bassman; 07-Jan-2011 at 02:11 PM. Reason: .

United States
    I'm no expert on it like some and I don't really mind the changes on the DVD "special edition" release, but they DID release the original edits on DVD. Lucas claimed he never would, but eventually did after fans asked for it. Not to mention....you know he can't pass up a chance for the double dip buck. This WILL NOT be the only SW Blu Ray release. You can count on that.
    In all seriousness, would you like to make a friendly wager on that? There's no way on god's green earth this dingbat will release the original theatrical releases (with none of his "touchups" that have been done after the theatrical release AND in the proper aspect ratio) on BR in his lifetime. I'd be willing to lay big bucks down on that one.

The one caveat I'd make is, perhaps after Lucas dies we'll get the original theatrical print of the first three SW's (if they exist anymore), but until then? Nah, his head is waaaay too far up his ass to bother with it now. He's too busy trying to force-fit Eps. 4-6 to match and flow with Eps. 1-3. That and working on the fucking 3D versions of these films, apparently.
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 07-Jan-2011 at 02:32 PM. Reason: bacon wars

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    If he released the originals on dvd after the special editions had been out for a while, why would he not do the same for BR? Just from a business standpoint it makes perfect sense. As Legion mentioned, he knows the fans will double, triple, and quadruple dip with everything he puts out there, thus making loads of cash in the process.

The 3D versions will be another BR release, as will the original trilogy without the 1997(?) additional footage....

United States
    If he released the originals on dvd after the special editions had been out for a while, why would he not do the same for BR? Just from a business standpoint it makes perfect sense. As Legion mentioned, he knows the fans will double, triple, and quadruple dip with everything he puts out there, thus making loads of cash in the process.

The 3D versions will be another BR release, as will the original trilogy without the 1997(?) additional footage....
    I still don't remember this happening, bass - is there a link or can someone confirm that these original theatrical releases were actually put out on DVD? I'm not saying you're wrong, I just never heard of it happening. I only remember a ton of people bitching that all the releases of SW were his "messed with" versions.

The reason I think he won't do it is because he's spending more time fucking with the films to force-fit the two trilogies together (and, apparently, putting them in 3D ) to even bother with the originals. He apparently doesn't even like the original theatrical releases, which is why he keeps futzing with them. Why would he put them out (again) if that's the case?

The friendly wager still stands. If you're that confident, let's do this!

Lucas re-edits Star Wars more than Dj re-edits Deadlands 1 & 2 - that's a fucking lot of re-editing!
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 07-Jan-2011 at 02:37 PM. Reason: bacon lucas

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    I still don't remember this happening, bass - is there a link or can someone confirm that these original theatrical releases were actually put out on DVD? I'm not saying you're wrong, I just never heard of it
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...C9R60XHT1RCRSH

I've heard the original edit is of inferior quality to the picture on the Special Editions, but either way they WERE released....and he made piles of cash off of it because every SW nerd on the planet double dipped for it. THAT is my reason for thinking(IE knowing) he'll release them again on BR.
    Last edited by bassman; 07-Jan-2011 at 02:44 PM. Reason: .

United States
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...C9R60XHT1RCRSH

I've heard the original edit is of inferior quality to the picture on the Special Editions, but either way they WERE released....and he made piles of cash off of it because every SW nerd on the planet double dipped for it. THAT is my reason for thinking(IE knowing) he'll release them again on BR.
    Ah yes, you are correct, and I found this little quote:

"Although fan reaction to the announcement of the DVDs was largely positive, upon release many fans felt that they had once again been cheated by George Lucas. The DVDs used non-anamorphic video sourced from the 1993 LaserDisc releases, which was nowhere near the same quality as the remastered versions of the films present in the 2004 boxset. This has sparked further campaigning by fans who wish to see the original versions of the films restored with the care that they deserve. "

So, technically, while they're the theatrical cut, they're not presented the same way they were in theaters (nor decent quality, either), and Lucas once again screws his fans. They may be the closest versions yet, but they're not what they should be.

So allow me to rephrase: while he might release them on BR, he'll probably used the same fucked up source for it, and I doubt it will get a "proper" remaster on those "original theatrical releases" - he's too busy continuously fucking with the films.

My wager still stands for the BR release, my friend. *whips out a $50 and lays it on the table*
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 07-Jan-2011 at 03:59 PM. Reason: bacon wars

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Now you're just getting picky, damn it. I just said that it WOULD be released. I never said it wouldn't have the minor details that fans bitch about! But now you ARE agreeing with me that it will happen....so gimme dat 50!

Anyway....I personally don't care anymore. I'm going to stick with my regular ol' special edition DVDs until the blu ray set is dirt cheap. I just don't feel the need to jump on this set and splurge more money for the better picture. I guess the Star Wars films are starting to kinda lose their appeal to me. Maybe if my daughter one day gets into it(doubtful).
    Last edited by bassman; 07-Jan-2011 at 04:06 PM. Reason: .