Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: best remake ever?

Undisclosed
    1 the thing, 2 the fly and 3 scarface

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I like The Thing and Ben Hur. But I have to give kudos to the Assault on Precint 13 remake. That was good.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnKnut View Post
    No-one's happy about this, believe me Lou.
    Well put me on the list of pissed-off-beyond-belief.

Why does Carpenter feel the need to whore himself out like this? The Fog remake, Halloween, now The Thing and Escape from NY? What's next?

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    Well put me on the list of pissed-off-beyond-belief.

Why does Carpenter feel the need to whore himself out like this? The Fog remake, Halloween, now The Thing and Escape from NY? What's next?
    Who says hes Whoring himself out, man? Think about it this way.....he made the original classics, he get's money from the remakes, his classics will still always be there and he get's a slice of the remake pie.

If I were in his position, I wouldn't mind to be earning money for basically nothing.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Day Of The Dead 2007!

Seriously, though....

-Night 90
    -John Carpenter's The Thing
    -The Omega Man, starring Charlton Heston (one of my favorite movies)
    -The Grudge (I suppose this should also be posted in the guilty pleasures thread)

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    Who says hes Whoring himself out, man? Think about it this way.....he made the original classics, he get's money from the remakes, his classics will still always be there and he get's a slice of the remake pie.
    I understand what you're saying, but to me, if you allow every single one of your movies (ok, almost every one - but hey, Carpenter's not dead yet! give him time) be re-made, and you're doing it for the money - which he freely admits to - then you're whoring yourself out. I hate to say it, but "I calls 'em like I sees 'em"

Somehow, I don't think ol' JC "needs the money" from the remakes. While I realize that's not what you were saying, I just can't picture any other reason to do such a thing - which confuses me even more.

I dunno, just seems like a bad idea to me... I could be wrong though. I guess we'll see in a few years.

Whoever remakes it though had better not fu*k it up!

United States

They cant come up with a new idea...

Now folks, lets just hope they dont re-make Road Warrior... I will loose it.
    "Goodbye , I am gone."

United States
    Oh trust me, it's coming. They're so out of ideas and won't bank on any new filmmakers with innovative new ideas, they're just going to continue the remakes until there is nothing more to remake.

Just think - sooner or later we're going to get a remake of Terminator.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    So far the Carpenter remakes have done only good. people see them and then the originals and realize which is superior. So this The Thing remake is just going to bring extra publicity to the original. Or remake. Well... JC's version!

United States
    So far the Carpenter remakes have done only good.
    I've got two words for you: THE FOG

Super Moderator

UK
    Remakes have been incredibly up and down and incredibly ropey.

TCM2003 was a decent slice of modern pop corn hurling slasher fun, but it's got piss all on the original, which is a true legend of cinema.

Hills Have Eyes 2006 - I really dig this flick, I like it better than the original, but I still like the original, but the Craven version was flawed and not that sh*t hot - and that's the key, "they" should be remaking movies that were dodgy to begin with.

Like the Hooper remake of Toolbox Murders, that's a pretty decent horror flick, not great, but good fun - and the original was just a cheesy cash in on a popular trend, although actually kinda early in the run of gory horror flicks of that trend...

Yawn04 ... well, we all know how I feel about that flick by now.

Basically, the odds are stacking against remakes, because it's such a lame trend right now, it really honestly is, and yet the movies that get the most acclaim and praise are the original flicks (for the most part) ... Hollywood needs to wake up, soon folk will get really pissed with this slew of unoriginality, it's already setting in.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    it appears the majority favourite is carpenters the thing ,followe dby the fly adn with a 3rd plce tie between scarface adn ben hur.

United States
    night 90 for me

capncnut
    You know what f**ks me off the most, it's gonna be a DIRECT remake of Carpenter's version and will have almost nothing to do with the original. Well, apart from the fact Carpenter remade the... oh, you know what I mean!

Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    Dark Star? They Live?

Super Moderator

UK
    Perhaps that turd film he made about Mars, or Vampires? They were both cruddy, I wouldn't mind those being remade - as I always bang on about - remake dodgy movies already!!!

*distracted by the news, cor blimey, Portugal doesn't think they have any paedophiles...what planet are they living on?!*

Anyway...

Ah geez, if they remade They Live that'd be the final nail in the coffin of Carpenter's career and legendary status, he long since lost his mojo...