Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Question for Spaced fans....

United States
    Well, my amazon.uk order is in as of this morning. Hopefully, in 6-10 days, I can get 'spaced' in more ways than one.

Did I just say that out loud?

Super Moderator

UK
    Sweeeeeeeet, you're gonna love it, it's classic stuff. Never watched it baked, but I love it regardless.

United States
    Well see, that's the problem. If you were baked it'd be 100 times as funny. Then again, from what I understand, if you laughed much harder at it you might end up in the hospital.

Man, I can't wait 'till it gets here. I just got my shipping confirmation but it's gonna take 'till almost the end of next week for it to get here. ARGH!!! Damn Amazon UK for being in the UK! uhhh.. umm.. yeah

Did I just say something?

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    i guarantee you will sit down to watch ep one and watch every episode in one sitting.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    i guarantee you will sit down to watch ep one and watch every episode in one sitting.
    yep. that's what happened to me and my gal. We had to force ourselves to put off watching season two for the next night.
    We were in the "right frame of mind" and BAM!!! Hooked like a muh fuh!

United States
    Yeah, i'm pretty chuffed ( 'MZ speak') about the DVD's getting here. Y'know, I went to AmazonUK and out of the 36 reviews for this box set on there, every single one of them was rated 10 stars! This must be one hell of a show over there in the UK.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    trust me when you live in a country that hasnt had a comedy that aint sexual inuendo since cheers it will stick with you for life.

seriously what is wrong with u.s and sictioms?!?, they can do drama so well so what the frigg happened?

Kazakhstan
    US sitcoms? ah they aint dead yet, but i agree theyre in a state.
    however - 3 words

curb. your. enthusiasm.

excellent show

also, i like my name is earl & scrubs - although i feel scrubs kinda cribs the style of spaced a bit, but that might just be me.

spaced is a candidate for best sitcom ever, although does anyone else think the first series is better?
    i think it has more emotional impact (like the end of episode 6, that little monologue about happy endings, the music, "fancy a dance?", call me soppy, but it gets me dewy everytime), also i like the way the first series was shot, it has a kind of faded glow to it, it really recaptures the feel of a hungover english sunday morning, when the sky isn't blue or grey...just a queasy kinda white that makes you squint.

also "daisy"/jess stevenson turned up in a sketch on the secret policemans ball last night, with richard e grant, they forgot to fade her mike as she left the stage and you could hear her cackling as she left...lol.

i think one of the most heartwarming things about the show is that tim & daisy are spookily similar to simon & jess in real life, except less grumpy & kooky respectively.

FRIED GOLD

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    ah yes earl and scrubs they make freinds look like crap, easily the best us comedys in at least a good ten years

Super Moderator

UK
    Now I'll get cornholed for this probably, but I really like Friends. It's not clever and many of the jokes you can see from a mile off, but it's warm and fuzzy and non-offensive and not in the least bit challenging. It's like a cosy old blanket that makes you feel cheerier after a bad day.

In terms of sheer quality though, it's beaten like a sleeping corpse by the likes of My Name Is Earl and Scrubs (both excellent shows). And of course Spaced is just fantastic, it only hung around for 2 series (14 episodes), but it's just so spot on entertaining - but it's multi-layered, it's intelligent, it's emotional and it doesn't rely on cliches - it invents new things to reference and parody.

*fond sigh*

I might have to go through the whole 14 episodes again sometime soon, at the very least give the retrospective documentary a second run through.

As for which series I like best, 1 or 2? ... hmmm ... I really don't know, I like them all, I think series 2 is perhaps a little more dark on the emotional side of things towards the end, but the second series is when they've gotten into the vibe of the show. Liam - I know what you mean about that hazy whiteness of the first series, and have experienced that haziness many times before, hehe.

I don't think I could choose which I like best, they're both great, I pick both of them!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Now I'll get cornholed for this probably, but I really like Friends. It's not clever and many of the jokes you can see from a mile off, but it's warm and fuzzy and non-offensive and not in the least bit challenging. It's like a cosy old blanket that makes you feel cheerier after a bad day.

*in his best redneck back-woods hillbilly voice, preparing to cornhole MZ* "boy, you got a pretty mouth..."

dude, you did NOT just admit that you liked Friends in front of everyone, did you? Man, there should be a law against that.

Super Moderator

UK
    lol, I'd better get my padlocked, steel-enforced britches on...hyuck...

Yes, I do enjoy Friends, it's easy going, doesn't require thought, Jennifer Aniston is proper fit (Cox for seasons 1 through 3, Kudrow likewise) and you know, it's just daft and easy on the soul after a hard day - or watching something rather disturbing on TV, like one of Channel 4 or 5's exploitative "look at this freak" documentaries...

United States
    ::shakes his head::

Well, there ya have it folks. Brought to you first, right here on HPotD. MZ is a freak. Film at 11.

I guess it's not so bad if it's just a "guilty pleasure" once in a while thing, but y'know, if you tell me you followed the entire series, I'm gonna have to put back on my redneck hillbilly overalls and teach you a lesson, boy!

Super Moderator

UK
    Get them overalls on then bitch, cos I followed it from the very beginning and introduced my sister to it, ha! I also have every episode either downloaded or copied from my sister's DVDs.

Part of my obsession with having everything and being a completist I suppose, but so what, I like Friends. It's not my favourite show and it's certainly not the best sitcom there ever was, just a guilty pleasure that's been followed for 10 years.

And Jennifer Aniston is well fit.

United States
    "Dear Zombie Man, could you please check on your creator and figure out what's wrong with him? He says he's a huge fan of the TV show 'Friends' and that is a sure sign of 'losing it' in my book."

I'm just razzin' ya... you just didn't seem like the "Friends" type for some reason. I guess ya learn something new every day.

<cough>FREAK!<cough>