Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: i have a colloquialism question for americans

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by blind2d View Post
    As for myself, I don't see it censored in American movies or TV unless...
    Actually, i've noticed that they'll take out the "god" portion. It's perfectly fine to say "damn you... (blank)", but they'll edit it if it's connected to the imaginary guy in the sky?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    but they'll edit it if it's connected to the imaginary guy in the sky?
    Well, you have to figure, there are plenty of us that don't consider God to be some "imaginary guy in the sky" and for those of us who don't it can be seen as offensive to speak of God in such a way. Granted, I think that's someone being overly sensitive, depending upon circumstances, but it's no more sensitive when being directed at someone than using the "n" word towards African Americans or calling a woman a "c" -- if anything, it's seen as worse towards many religious because it's not only insulting someone else but God as well.

I'm not saying I'm overly sensitive regarding it, because I don't really give a shit, but I can understand where a lot of these folks are coming from. I think it's just a matter of respect too. I wouldn't call an African American the "n" word or a woman the "c" word just as I wouldn't use G.D. in respect to religious or people who believe faith is, like me, more than some "imaginary guy in the sky" as others believe.

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I see what you're saying, but there's a big difference between talking about god and directly offending the person that's in front of you. As you said, calling a black person the 'n word' or a woman a 'c*nt' is offensive to them because your actually directing it to them in person, but with 'GD' your talking about a part of their religion. I understand that some people take they're religion seriously, most of them taking it WAY too seriously, but there's a big difference, imo.

You curse or make fun of my beliefs and i'll just shrug my shoulders and go about my way. That's why they're MY beliefs and not yours. You curse at me or a loved one and it's totally different scenario. In that sense I don't see why television edits 'GD' but not say, sh*thead, p*ssy, etc. I would rather my daughter hear 'GD' over some of the other things allowed on TV.

On top of that....why edit 'GD' but not anything that offends any other religion? I realize the US is a 'christian nation', but why only stop at christianity? I'm fairly certain they let those kinds of things slide by if it's any other religion...
    Last edited by bassman; 09-Aug-2011 at 06:14 PM. Reason: .

United States
    In my high school media class, we had a daily radio show thangie on the public access channel. One day I played Dave from Cheech and Chong. There's one part where Cheech says,"It's me, Dave, now would you open the goddamn door?!?!?"
    I was kicked out of the class immediately, until I convinced them that I didn't know that word was a no no. That was one of many no no's I did, and I wasn't allowed to come back the next semester.
    He was worried about our show getting pulled in our first year of even having that class, like anyone ever listened to it. Woops.
    On tv they censor the word because sponsors will pull out if'n you don't. Too bad other, less sensitive, sponsors don't often step in to fill the void.
    $$$

Twitching

Undisclosed
    You curse or make fun of my beliefs and i'll just shrug my shoulders and go about my way. That's why they're MY beliefs and not yours. You curse at me or a loved one and it's totally different scenario. In that sense I don't see why television edits 'GD' but not say, sh*thead, p*ssy, etc.
    What channel do you watch that censors GD but not sh*thead? I strongly doubt the FCC would find the latter acceptable. As a matter of fact, the FCC has generally ruled that GD is not legally profane, but frequently finds variations of sh*t to be legally indecent.

On top of that....why edit 'GD' but not anything that offends any other religion?
    Such as? Substantive criticism of religion is not censored, just casual profanity. I'm not aware of any profanities in current usage that refer to specific other religions. If anything, gratuitous insults against other religions are less tolerated than gratuitous insults against Christianity. Compare controversy over the depiction of Jesus Christ on South Park (practically none) to controversy over the depiction of Mohammed on South Park (hugely controversial, and censored by Comedy Central).
    Last edited by Publius; 10-Aug-2011 at 01:36 AM. Reason: example
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post
    Compare controversy over the depiction of Jesus Christ on South Park (practically none) to controversy over the depiction of Mohammed on South Park (hugely controversial, and censored by Comedy Central).
    The funniest thing about that was the fact that they had shown a depiction of him already in Super Best Friends and nobody cared then...

United States
    Thou shall not take the name of the Lord in vain.

Beware the beast, man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.
    - 23rd Sacred Scroll, 6th verse

Ireland
    But, wouldn't that not be more like "To hell with god" or "God is a boll*cks", rather than invoking god's damnation upon something.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    But, wouldn't that not be more like "To hell with god" or "God is a boll*cks", rather than invoking god's damnation upon something.
    No, because you're calling upon God's name for the detriment of someone else for your own vain pleasure. Thus, you're vainly calling upon God's name.

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

Super Moderator

United States
    I was wondering this but didn't get to chime in till now: anyone know if the Quebecois 'sacres' are more of a culturally unique form of swearing, or do the French swear like that as well? I mean, no one really says sacrebleu in France anymore...or do they? I don't know, as I've only skirted through France very briefly on my way to the Benelux countries and don't know jack about the language.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    I was wondering this but didn't get to chime in till now: anyone know if the Quebecois 'sacres' are more of a culturally unique form of swearing, or do the French swear like that as well? I mean, no one really says sacrebleu in France anymore...or do they? I don't know, as I've only skirted through France very briefly on my way to the Benelux countries and don't know jack about the language.
    I have a friend from Camaroon, and he predominiately speaks french. He often says Mon Dieu. But he had never even heard of Sacrebleu. . . .so who knows
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Super Moderator

United States
    Interesting. Yeah, anything that is sacred can pretty much be profane in Quebecois French.

This is the best explanation I could find to illustrate what I mean.

As an example:
    A very strong way to express anger or frustration is to use the words tabarnac, sacrament, and cālice . Depending on the context and the tone of the phrases, it might make everybody quiet, but some people use those words to add rhythm or emphasis to sentences.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Interesting. Yeah, anything that is sacred can pretty much be profane in Quebecois French.

This is the best explanation I could find to illustrate what I mean.

As an example:
    Very much like Us adding "Holy" before our swears. ie "Holy Hell" or "Holy Shit"
    Last edited by clanglee; 17-Aug-2011 at 12:19 AM. Reason: dfvg
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Why do americans treat the term "god damn BLANK" as something as bad as calling someone a cunt?
    I've never thought saying "god damn you" was anywhere even remotely near saying "you're a cunt". Am I alone on this?

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    I've never thought saying "god damn you" was anywhere even remotely near saying "you're a cunt". Am I alone on this?
    That is true. I think we use the profane more often in our swearing and it has lost a lot of impact, while the word cunt is a strong, attention-getter and a great way to piss women off and come across as generally coarse. Like most words of the sort, it's not the best arrow in the quiver of insults, more of an exclamation point to add to an already well crafted affront. In fact, I never use cunt as just an exclamatory swear, it's always as an insult.

At least, that's my take on it.