Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: If you could change ONE (or two) thing(s) about Dawn '04

Undisclosed

Stuck with the Orig script..

If James Gunn were paying homage to DOTD78 instead of trying to upstage it.

Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by OddDNA
    If James Gunn were paying homage to DOTD78 instead of trying to upstage it.
    Upstage it? He simplified it. He dumbed it down. It has the subtly, nuance and depth of a 3rd rate situational comedy.

DAWN OF THE DEAD 04 is a stupid, one-note movie. Its thrills are in its pyrotechnics and hurried pace alone. Which is fine - for other movies - but not for a remake of George A. Romero's DAWN OF THE DEAD.

That the remake is 'good' or 'didn't suck' isn't good enough for me. I think we all deserved alot better and something a little more challenging than Gunn and Snyder's juvenile daydream of a movie.

If I can change one thing it would be the positive fan reaction to it because I sincerely believe they're selling themselves short. And nobody deserves praise for making that, especially with the amazing template they had to work from.
    Last edited by Griff; 19-Jul-2006 at 10:49 PM.
    "28 Days Later came out after we started (Dawn 04). Our zombies were running before we knew what their zombies were." - Zack Snyder, LIAR.

Super Moderator

UK
    1) F*ck running zombies up their stoopid asses (no, not literally).

2) A GOOD script instead of the steaming heap of crap Troma-guy did.

Administrator

England
    i actually liked dawn '04.. but as ive explained to alot of you who'll listen, i like it on its own merits.. not as a "remake".. so if i could only change one thing (i only need one), i would change the name. and not ascioate it with dawn at all.

i think alot more of you would of liked it if it was called, i dunno, "zombie apocalypse" or something.. i dunno im crap at titles.. but you know what i mean? if it wasn't ascioated with dawn it would of done alot better with existing fans..

Just been bitten Guru ofthe Dead's Avatar

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    i actually liked dawn '04.. but as ive explained to alot of you who'll listen, i like it on its own merits.. not as a "remake".. so if i could only change one thing (i only need one), i would change the name. and not ascioate it with dawn at all.

i think alot more of you would of liked it if it was called, i dunno, "zombie apocalypse" or something.. i dunno im crap at titles.. but you know what i mean? if it wasn't ascioated with dawn it would of done alot better with existing fans..
    I agree. Using the same title then changing everything is not a remake. The movie is ok. Personally more flesh munching would have been nice. Come on no one got any limbs torn off.
    "We gotta stay in the sticks man."

Banned User

United States
    1. If it's a remake of Dawn of the Dead, then make it a 70s retro piece as well.

2. Keep the motorcycle raid.

Just been bitten Guru ofthe Dead's Avatar

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Svengoolie
    1. If it's a remake of Dawn of the Dead, then make it a 70s retro piece as well.

2. Keep the motorcycle raid.

True. Since they used Peter, Roger, and Blades why not have a retro zombie. You know pasley shirt, bellbottoms, platform shoes, big fro. Or even village people zombies. RIGHT ON!!!!
    "We gotta stay in the sticks man."

Australia
    Absolutely. The movie has its moments for sure but as a remake of a sophisticated classic, its a colossal under achievement and a wasted opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Svengoolie
    I don't get this. You don't wanna make an end-of-the-world picture set in the past unless you're doing a send up. Stuff like the TEXAS CHAINSAW remake is valid because you're trying to sell it as legend but there's no pretending the world ended in 1978.
    "28 Days Later came out after we started (Dawn 04). Our zombies were running before we knew what their zombies were." - Zack Snyder, LIAR.

Super Moderator

UK
    Even if it had a different name, the movie would still be the class dunce because of:

1) Running zombies, that seem to jump/fly too ... and hiss...

2) TERRIBLE SCRIPT

United States

I feel the same about my liking of the film on its own merits than as a remake. As for the name change, it would still be a lose-lose situation for Snyder and Gunn since people would say they ripped off the original Dawn and tried to hide it by changing the name. If any they could've called the film either Dead by Dawn or Dead at Dawn.
    "I won't kill you, but I don't have to save you."
    --- Batman

Fiji
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights
    My two things:

1) Go to book store, look at state atlas, confirm 'island theory.'

2) Go to hobby shop, crank up remote controlled helicopter, fly Andy a briscuit.

You ****ing win.

thanks.

1) add in a lead character that's smarter than a packet of Nip-chee crackers.

2) another script revision.
    Last edited by p2501; 20-Jul-2006 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Banned User

United States
    I don't get this. You don't wanna make an end-of-the-world picture set in the past unless you're doing a send up. Stuff like the TEXAS CHAINSAW remake is valid because you're trying to sell it as legend but there's no pretending the world ended in 1978.
    Uh....it's a movie, Griff. A movie about zombies. I'm not trying to make it "valid" for anything past that, and at no point in time am I trying to pretend that it's real in any way .

The Omega Man with Charleton Heston is one of my favorite "End of the World" flicks, and it was set in 1977. So, by your rationale, is that classic any less "valid"? Do I have to completely repudiate it simply because the world didn't come to an end via germ warfare almost 30 years ago?

The original is, for better or worse, the flagship of the genre...and a classic piece of 70s retro. Hence, I would've liked to have seen it as a retro piece.
    Last edited by Svengoolie; 20-Jul-2006 at 08:08 PM.

Super Moderator

UK
    or alternatively:

1) Pole dancers in EVERY shot
    2) 10 free lapdances with every purchase of the DVD

Then I might start liking it...lol.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie
    or alternatively:

1) Pole dancers in EVERY shot
    2) 10 free lapdances with every purchase of the DVD

Then I might start liking it...lol.
    I would have an entire shelf dedicated to the "Yawn04" dvd

Super Moderator

UK
    pfft, ONE shelf, try THREE matey

Then I'd give them to charity shops, buy them back for a quid and get 10 lapdances for a quid, BARGAIN BOOTAY!

That and the serious two I posted would make me enjoy the movie, ha!