Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So ... I finally saw "The Happening" ...

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy911sc View Post
    As far as the acting goes...Bad...but give me the name of a Marky Mark movie that did not contain bad acting (that wasn't on purpose).:
    The Basketball Diaries and The Departed?

United States
    The Happening was a horrible movie.

England
    Gotta agree with Bub.
    This is a truly awful movie. Completely dis-jointed and makes NO sense whatsoever.
    Steer well clear.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    The Basketball Diaries and The Departed?
    I'll give you basketball diaries but the departed...Have you watched Marky Mark in that movie? I think the movie was good but his acting...not so much. I think his best work was in Boogie Nights and he was supposed to act badly.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I, personally, really like Mark Wahlberg's acting. Boogie Nights being his crowning achievement, in my opinion.

Super Moderator

UK
    Boogie Nights was f*ckin' awesome to be fair.

I think Wahlberg acts well too, I really enjoyed him in The Departed, he kicked arse at the end of that flick.

I'm looking forward to seeing him in Max Payne, and the movie in general, although admittedly my expectations aren't high being as it's a game-to-movie deely.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    I, personally, really like Mark Wahlberg's acting. Boogie Nights being his crowning achievement, in my opinion.

Boogie Nights was a great movie.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Well, curiosity finally got the best of me. I rented The Happening tonight and sat down to watch it, be prepared for a SPOILER RIDDEN REVIEW.

An environmental event takes its toll on the Northeastern US coast, the trees and plants are fighting back, ridding the earth of the pests we know as humans. The toxin released into the air turns people into suicidal lunatics that do everything in their power to kill themselves, a great concept, that is pretty creepy, especially when people in NYC start throwing themselves from roofs and highrises.

This film falls apart as soon as Zooey Daschanel and Mark Wahlberg hit the screen. The acting, is atrocious, the directing, non existent, the screenplay... a joke.

Here was a movie with a cool concept just poorly executed from the 20 minute mark til the 1:30:00 mark where it ended.

Tis a shame.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    i just got this for christmas on blu-ray (i also got socks!) and i like walbergs acting but his wife just ruins it for me, not the plot, that i can dig, little preachy and predictable but not bad, its the fucking woman that hands down ruins it for me bar nothing else.

-and in the extras shamylan is SO far up his own ass its barely funny.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I liked it. That's all I got to say. So it's not an utter turd, because someone obviously liked it.

I liked the slow suspense bit, compared to the actionriddled, fast paced of many modern horror/suspensebits.

Super Moderator

UK
    I can't understand why anyone would like this movie, it's beyond turd.

Zooey Deschaniel - who works well in other movies to varying degrees (e.g. the cooky young chick that Jim Carrey gets his end away with in Yes Man) - and she was good in a small role in The Assassination of Jesse James, although she was only on screen for a little bit in that.

Anyway, Zooey was, for some reason, absolutely god-awful in The Shittening ... the direction was awful, the script abominable, the plot boring, the acting non-existant/really weird/teeth-grindingly bad ... the whole thing was complete and utter pish.

Shyamalan should quit making movies, for the love of all that's holy.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    absolutely god-awful in The Shittening ...
    i think the correct term is the crapening.

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Zooey Deschaniel - who works well in other movies to varying degrees (e.g. the cooky young chick that Jim Carrey gets his end away with in Yes Man) - and she was good in a small role in The Assassination of Jesse James, although she was only on screen for a little bit in that.

Anyway, Zooey was, for some reason, absolutely god-awful in The Shittening ... the direction was awful, the script abominable, the plot boring, the acting non-existant/really weird/teeth-grindingly bad ... the whole thing was complete and utter pish.
    You're right, Zooey is a weird one. I've seen a few movies where she has really shined (I could be biased though becuase I do find her rather attractive ) but in others she comes across like a piece of cardboard. All The Real Girls being an example, not a bad film really but the characters are totally barren. Her acting in it is just difficult to watch and full of "um's".

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I think had this movie been cast and directed by people than those involved, and went through another draft it would have been totally kick ass. There was a creepy vibe to it. The first 20 minutes were pretty good, then it just fell apart.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Super Moderator

UK
    Hellsing - what about "The Rape-ening"?

Capn - yeah, she is a delectable dish - it has to be said - but goodness me, her performances do vary greatly. She can put out a good performance (like in Yes Man, where you just want your own one of her character), or like her (albeit brief) appearance in The Assassination of Jesse James ... ... but then you've got "The Anal Bleed-ening", and she's preposterously bad ... what the hell happened, Zooey?

Maybe that is what 'the happening' in The Happening was all about?

Deej - you liked the first 20 minutes? The idea could have worked, but from second-one in this crap-fest, it was all boring-as-shit or just eye-rollingly-stupid.

The most boring and non-dramatic mass 'suicides' ever captured on film.