Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Day of the Dead

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Damn, i can't get my girlfreind to watch any horror movies. Gives her nightmares. We started to watch day and in the opening scene where the hands break through the wall she was freaked out and said turn it off.

So there's no way she could have sustained what the rest of the movie has to offer. I'm bringing her along slowly though.
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Christmas Island
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    It's crazy to think about the contempt this film used to get from the fanbase.
    Not just the fanbase, Siskel & Ebert called Day one of the worst films of 1985. Jerks.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusIncredulous View Post
    Not just the fanbase, Siskel & Ebert called Day one of the worst films of 1985. Jerks.
    I'll bet they rated ROTLD higher as well which goes to show what they know.

I stopped listening to film critics long ago. As a matter of fact they stopped being relavent for about ten years now. What makes them more qualified than one of us for example to rate a film. I watch a ton of movies and i know crap when i see it.
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Damn, i can't get my girlfreind to watch any horror movies. Gives her nightmares. We started to watch day and in the opening scene where the hands break through the wall she was freaked out and said turn it off.

So there's no way she could have sustained what the rest of the movie has to offer. I'm bringing her along slowly though.
    Dude...my girlfriend was the same, but I made her sit through it anyway. She ended up LOVING IT. In the end, she told me that she thought of it as more of a love story than a horror film. I was puzzled at first, but then she explained that the love between Frankenstein & Bub, the hate between Rhodes & Bub, and the slight understanding but still frightful condition of Sarah to Bub felt like a love story.

It took me a minute to think it over....but I totally understood what she meant. She went on to view the other films in Romero's lineup and enjoyed them all, but Day was her favorite. And she's even requested to watch it a couple of times since.

Oh...and I forgot to mention. She cried for Bub when he discovered Frankenstein's dead body. True story.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    Dude...my girlfriend was the same, but I made her sit through it anyway. She ended up LOVING IT. In the end, she told me that she thought of it as more of a love story than a horror film. I was puzzled at first, but then she explained that the love between Frankenstein & Bub, the hate between Rhodes & Bub, and the slight understanding but still frightful condition of Sarah to Bub felt like a love story.

It took me a minute to think it over....but I totally understood what she meant. She went on to view the other films in Romero's lineup and enjoyed them all, but Day was her favorite. And she's even requested to watch it a couple of times since.

Oh...and I forgot to mention. She cried for Bub when he discovered Frankenstein's dead body. True story.

It never ceases to amaze me what a female's take is compared to a man's on the same subject matter. I guess you COULD see it like that but... EEEEWWW!! lol

I think it's great that she watches the movies you like with you. Just the fact that she gives them a chance shows she cares.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I think it's great that she watches the movies you like with you. Just the fact that she gives them a chance shows she cares.

Yeah, it's cool. But there's a flip side to that coin....

She's asked me to watch some films that I normally wouldn't and some of them, just like her watching Day, I truly enjoyed. Brokeback Mountain comes to mind. I know of several people around here that talk sh*t about that film because it's about some gay fellas, but it is really one of the greatest love stories ever put on film....

So it's a give/take relationship. And it's worked out quite well. Understanding is a great thing.

United States
    Yeah,my wife watches zombie movies with me,and she hates zombie movies.But she watches them with me so she can spend time with me.And in return I watch movies that she likes with her.

So I agree with you bassman,it is a give and take relationship,and it works great for us.

Undisclosed

My bad.......

And what was it about it that hurt you?
    Iwas reffeing to the remake,
    It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

Being Attacked

Undisclosed

re:

I love DAY. Technically speaking, it's the best film of the first three. NIGHT and DAWN are their own unique examples of perfection, but DAY probably plays best to the uninitiated. Its extreme gore and torrential profanity, however, could be a major turn-off to those with delicate constitutions. For this reason, I'd actually go with NIGHT 90 as the "entry level" GAR DEAD flick.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    Yeah, it's cool. But there's a flip side to that coin....

She's asked me to watch some films that I normally wouldn't and some of them, just like her watching Day, I truly enjoyed. Brokeback Mountain comes to mind. I know of several people around here that talk sh*t about that film because it's about some gay fellas, but it is really one of the greatest love stories ever put on film....

So it's a give/take relationship. And it's worked out quite well. Understanding is a great thing.
    Brokeback Mountain is a superb film, and I watched it off my own back too...just waited for all the hype to die down, but like you said, it's a fantastic love story - and ultimately a tragic story, that final shot really packs a punch (and indeed is testament to Ledger's chops).

As for Day - I always get a bit "awww" when Bub finds Logan dead on the floor, poor bugger of a zombie.

United States
    Yeah,my wife made me watch Brokeback Mountain,it was an alright movie.I liked it more then I thought I was going to.

United States
    I have the reverse of you men - my husband doesn't like horror movies at all, so if previews for one come up on tv, he says, 'Call Mike (my best friend from college).' And Mike's wife will say, 'Call Shell,' so at least we can share the experience with someone, at least. Oh - I lied - he did watch Resident Evil on DVD, but I suspect that was mainly for Milla...

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Bub666 View Post
    Yeah,my wife made me watch Brokeback Mountain,it was an alright movie.I liked it more then I thought I was going to.
    I still can't bring myself to watch that film.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnGirl27 View Post
    he did watch Resident Evil on DVD, but I suspect that was mainly for Milla...
    If that's one of the few horror films he's seen....no wonder he doesn't like them.

Eck. Bad film.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnGirl27 View Post
    I have the reverse of you men - my husband doesn't like horror movies

I think this is the first time I've heard of a man not liking horror movies.