Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Could you be "That Guy"?

Undisclosed
    I have heard soldiers coming back from war state that when you kill someone a piece of you dies with them.

Norway
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post

The question I have though is, do you REALLY think you could be "That guy"
    Yes, why is this even a question only small children, insane people or some kind of buddasaints would not be that guy (or gal).
    You guys really fear liberal fool protecting the zombies? Witch hunts and mob killings of "suspected carriers" is much more likely.

Undisclosed
    Hon, i am a social worker, so technically I am already that guy
    It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by lullubelle View Post
    Hon, i am a social worker, so technically I am already that guy
    Ouch!

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Trencher View Post
    Yes, why is this even a question only small children, insane people or some kind of buddasaints would not be that guy (or gal).
    You guys really fear liberal fool protecting the zombies? Witch hunts and mob killings of "suspected carriers" is much more likely.

i still don't think all of us are clear on what thorn is asking. he isn't talking about shooting zombies at all. what he is asking is: could/would you shoot someone who had been bitten before they turned? could you summarily kill someone else because they had been infected and were going to turn.

that is the question that's been put forth.

like i said in my earlier post, i wouldn't kill anyone because they'd been bitten. i would do what was done with roger and with matt frewer's character in dawn 04. i'd put them somewhere under guard and shoot them after somatic death.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

United States
    Exactly. I think most everyone, and not everyone has been alleged would be able to shoot a zombie ( I can sure you there will be some people who can not bring themselves to do it in a number of situations for varying reasons).

I am saying. You and a group of survivors are holed up somewhere, someone has been bit and you are pretty darn sure that that person is coming back after they die to attack you.

Not everyone agrees with you of course, no one agrees on anything it seems. Could you be the guy who puts the bullet through their head BEFORE they die.

I do not think it is as easy a question for all of us. Some might have trouble putting a bullet through the heads of friends, loved ones, small children, or otherwise sympathetic people. You might be content to let someone else do the "wet work" while you sit back and enjoy the ride.

The question was more "could you be the take charge person, who faced the hard facts and did the gruesome task".

Norway
    I understood the question actually and I meant what I said about the bitten more than likely would be killed by everyone in the group and maybe even relative of the bitten would be killed "just in case" or if supersticion got involved. The person you are now and the person most of you would be in a mob is two widely diffrent people.

Undisclosed
    Kill a bitten person before they die and revive? Probably not. I' d have to have changed a lot to be able to kill someone who isn't a direct, immediate threat to me, unless it's ambushing raiders, so I'd go with the Dawn '04-Me, the bitten one, my gun, and a closed off area away from everyone else until whatever happened happened.

United States
    For me it comes down to a few things I guess.

First I would have a hard time taking the life of an innocent person, who quite possibly did no wrong except be a victim. In the end of their living life to be executed seems a bit cold and unfeeling. It is also something that goes against my character as a person. Life is a precious thing to me, not to be wasted or thrown away. Certainly not to be taken from someone.

Now in the scenario I am painting look at it as it is in the dawn remake, they basically want to kill the guy in front of friends and family because they have a strong feeling he will turn. Try to envision that scenario.

Now, here is something else to consider.

Think about the psychological impact that will have on the group of survivors with you. There will be immediate and long term fallout.

1) You are establishing precedent. Whoever gets bit, or we suspect of being bitten will be shot. Even if it is needed can't you see situations where the bitten person will not let the rest of the group know about it? What if they only suspect it was a bite, and in reality the got their arm raked across jagged metal in an escape attempt while a zombie held it. Do you shoot them? They may very well think so and not tell you. Then in the middle of the night they could turn and kill you.

2) You just set yourself up as the bad guy, and the rest of the group will look at you differently. You may become an outsider, and quickly be deemed undesirable. That or they will fear you, some may even respect you. At the end of the day though there will be a reckoning of sorts and everyone will have an opinion of the high profile executioner.

3) Psychological fallout on yourself. In the days of firing squads they used to try and lessen the psychological burden on the rifleman by only loading one gun with an actual bullet. You always had in your mind a degree of plausible deniability. "I didn't kill him". So if you do take on this role is it something you can do? I mean what if you are wrong? For some of us, myself included doubt would likely creep in. "Did I kill a healthy person?" Might be tough to make it through the night.