Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I Have A Question

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadCentral
    Andy if you watch the original Night, it happens in October ( and was actually filmed at the end of august right through October in real life )-
    im talking about film time, not the actual REAL time its filmed. there is definatly a mention of daylight savings time which would place it much earlier in the year, around may or june unless im very much mistaken.

Listening to the Talk Show host in Dawn ,he states some where that for the past "3 weeks we've been in a state of Martial law in Philedelphia"-
    again, i do say in my original post, give or take a few weeks on this timescale..

In Day Sara Tells Logan "Your just proving theories that were developed Months ago...and just slicing up too many specimans.."-
    they could be in the silo before dawn ends, they could of been in the silo from the beginning of the plague. there's no mention of that anywhere. i do say the films overlap, not begin where the previous one ends.

And in Land riley states that he's been in the city for 3 years...
    I think you can actually see the continuity ...
    you do seem to of entirely missed out the last part of my post where i do say, i dont count land towards the dead story as i dont think it is.

anyway, even counting land, as there's absolutly no indication of time between land and day its entirely possible that land follows 3 years or more afterwards.

i mean they have had time to secure and barricade a entire city

my strongest evidence is the calendar theory, which is the whole basis of my 7 month theory. which you have not argued against at all.

Undisclosed
    Well ....thats because I'm not arguing with you ...lol

I believe they do overlap in ways , remember they're not exactly sequels to each other but stories within a universe that this phenom is occuring..overlapping is a possibility,because some of these stories could overlap, and be happening simultaneously, but not how I view it personally..
    designs-n-creations.com

Sometimes dead is better....

Administrator

England
    i agree with you there, they are 3 completely seperate stories.. but my timeline "7 month" theory works well for me. it fits in place and gives a scale to the zompocalypse i think.

but it is only that, my personal theory. im sure alot of you have your own which will contradict mine.

i was simply answering lone crusaders questions then answering your "holes" in my theory.

Undisclosed
    Dawn and Day could have begun at the very same moment , the four from DAWN could have left the docks & at the same exact time Logan and his group could have been dropped at the underground bunker, and when Sara & John and Mcdermitt leave for the island, DAWN could have been just at the point that Peter & Francine leave the mall.

I tend to think that the DAY scenario is a bit later due to the decrepit state of the city they visit and based on Logans ratio theory...

Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    im talking about film time, not the actual REAL time its filmed. there is definatly a mention of daylight savings time which would place it much earlier in the year, around may or june unless im very much mistaken.

Here in the states, DST is applied during usually end of April & October. looking at how the characters are dressed in both NIGHT & DAWN would it be safe to agree that perhaps it began in the fall & each scenario carried thru to spring?

Fran was skinny in the beginning of the film, but extremely large at the end, that would mean a minimum of 6 months had past at that point for her pregnancy to display itself that vividly...
    Both Johnny & Barbara are wearing winter clothes in NIGHT and the trees are somewhat bare as well which would imply autumn ...
    Last edited by DeadCentral; 18-May-2006 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    designs-n-creations.com

Administrator

England
    Dawn and Day could have begun at the very same moment , the four from DAWN could have left the docks & at the same exact time Logan and his group could have been dropped at the underground bunker, and when Sara & John and Mcdermitt leave for the island, DAWN could have been just at the point that Peter & Francine leave the mall.

I tend to think that the DAY scenario is a bit later due to the decrepit state of the city they visit and based on Logans ratio theory...

Here in the states, DST is applied during usually end of April & October. looking at how the characters are dressed in both NIGHT & DAWN would it be safe to agree that perhaps it began in the fall & each scenario carried thru to spring?

Fran was skinny in the beginning of the film, but extremely large at the end, that would mean a minimum of 6 months had past at that point for her pregnancy to display itself that vividly...
    Both Johnny are wearing winter clothes in NIGHT and the trees are somewhat bare as well which would imply autumn ...
    now your catching onto what im getting at

again as for the state of the city, you got to remember beforehand it would of been looted and scene to mass murders... of course its going to be decrepit.

as for logans theory, there's no exact timescale on the ratios or how quickly they break down..

also frans pregnency fits in with my theory, i do say dawn is by far the biggest spanning at least 6 months.

and johnny is just wearing a suit and barbara is wearing a dress with a coat over the top. how are these winter clothes?

Undisclosed
    Damn you're quick...lol read my edits above ...lol
    designs-n-creations.com

Super Moderator

UK
    I think it's something like this - Dawn is 3 weeks after Night, Day is a year after Night and Land is up to 5 years (so I've heard/read) after the whole thing began. That's always what I've gone on, never got confused with "real time" and "GAR time" though, so personally I 'got' what he was doing...to comment on a post further up the stream.

United States
    My thoughts on the timeline.....

I think that it should be accepted that Dawn starts three weeks after the events in Night. Dr. Foster clearly says "Three weeks. For three weeks you have not listened!" (Or something close to that. He definately says three weeks.) I am not sure where the "three months" theory comes from, that is definately wrong.

I think that the "redneck groups" could for sure last three weeks, and probably a lot longer than that. While other people are scrambling to find guns and ammo, they would already have that in ample supply. As you can see, local law enforcement was more than eager to have their assistance, both in Night and Dawn. They would also be adept at living off the land, being able to hunt and find edible food in the woods.

I think that Day has to take place quite some time after that. When you see Fran marking off the calendar in October, to me that shows that they survived for many months in the mall. Didnt that calender have a bunch of months crossed off on it? And the biker gang survived "on the road" for that same many months, so there were pockets of people that were surviving during that period. Seems like I have a "three years later" thought sticking in my mind as far as Day goes, but I can not remember right this second where that came from. But you figure it would have to take a least some time to get their little underground party together. They have been there long enough to grow some marijuana plants that are very tall. I doubt that there was tall plants of "magic herb" growing on a military base before the dead plague started. Also, it would take quite a long time to gather up all those zombies and put those collars on them, dont you think? And doesnt Sarah say to Logan "you're just proving theories that were advanced months ago". That implies that they have been there for quite a while. Greg Nicitero says "we used to talk to Washington all the time". That also shows they have been there for quite a long time, otherwise he would say something like "we talked to Washington last week". Also, in the beginning, John says to Bill "Forget it Billy boy. It's a dead place. Just like all the others you know. Listen. You can hear it above the engines." By this time, the entire landscape of Florida is deserted, unlike in Dawn where biker gangs still roam the streets looking for booty (probably both kinds of booty!) When John says "Just like all the others", that implies that prior to the start of the movie, they have been searching the surrounding area for quite some time, looking for survivors.

Anyways, have I convinced you Andy? This all seems logical to me. Night starts on the day the Daylight savings time starts, then Dawn starts three weeks later. Dawn lasts thru October, then Day has to start a long time after that.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    According to GARs Land of the Dead commentary, the films do NOT relate to each other in any other sense except that they are in the same series and all feature the same kind of zombies. He means that every film deals with a different outbreak, in a different universe. So Land of the Dead doesn't really take place after Day of the Dead, it's just a spinoff.

This is how he explains how the zombies look differently and why they are killed by certain things. He cites Night of the Living Dead as his example, where zombies could be killed by fire yet in the sequels (according to him) they cannot. This doesn't explain how Blades ended up in both Dawn and Land, however, but I think it's pretty safe to assume that was just a cameo (as Romero called it).

So no, the Dead movies are not in the same timeline. They are in different timelines, but in the same series. But I find that watching them, and imagening they are in the same timeline, makes it more interesting.

Super Moderator

UK
    As for the overlap thing, like with Day and Dawn...with Dawn at 3 weeks after Night, at the beginning of the plague relatively speaking, then yeh the folks in Day probably did go down into the underground facility at that point or a week or two later possibly. But of course when we join them they've been down there for months/up to a year after it all began.

So story wise there'll most likely be an overlap, but plot wise we don't see the overlap ... and as for Land being 3 years, indeed that's more like it, I said 5 originally but that was my original thought before someone said it was 3 years quite a while ago ... but my brain is a bit leaky these days.

Beginning ... 3 weeks ... up to a year ... up to 3 years.

That's the kind of timeframe a think we can all agree on.

Just wanted to add in my tuppence...

Romero keeps changing his opinion and ideas on his series though. I think it's quite acceptable to say it's all part of the same plague, we're just seeing different chunks of time in that plague. He's just using the films as a form of representation for the time in which they were made, of course the zombies are going to look different, techniques improve, but besides - the zombies are gradually rotting so they're going to get more haggard - you see it all the way up to Land with those emaciated (animatronic) zombie torsos that pop into shot, like the one that attacks Cholo, or in the opening shot.

I think it's rather daft the consider the series as FOUR different outbreaks of zombies ... because all four outbreaks would just go the same way because GAR's using the same narrative elements (essentially - mankind's own weaknesses causes it's own downfall and the zombies grow smarter). It smells fishy to me that it'd be any other way than showing the one plague advancing from one film to the next.

Guaranteed GAR changes his mind at some point in the future, I've seen many GAR interviews and he's often contradicted himself on certain issues.

Damn us folk get into these movies DEEP, eh?
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 18-May-2006 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly_SWAT
    Anyways, have I convinced you Andy? This all seems logical to me. Night starts on the day the Daylight savings time starts, then Dawn starts three weeks later. Dawn lasts thru October, then Day has to start a long time after that.

i just dont buy into the fact that day happens years after night. it dosn't seem work to me.

like i said though, each will have his own theory on what happened and their not all going to be the same, mine works best for me. you should be able to see alot of thought has gone into it

i still think dawn and day are alot closer together than most of you guys.

so no, you havn't convinced me, same way i doubt id be able to convince you my theory is right.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    i just dont buy into the fact that day happens years after night. it dosn't seem work to me.

like i said though, each will have his own theory on what happened and their not all going to be the same, mine works best for me. you should be able to see alot of thought has gone into it

i still think dawn and day are alot closer together than most of you guys.

so no, you havn't convinced me, same way i doubt id be able to convince you my theory is right.
    I see:
    Night: it happened.
    Dawn: a few days later.
    Day: 6 months to 1 year.
    Land: because fans wanted it. I love this movie, but, I'd rather it never been made. When Bub saluted, that was the "end". IMHO.

Canada
    Here's how I see it.

There was Night, then there was Dawn, then Day, then Land. As each film progressed the zombies were around longer than they were before. Thats about it!

Banned User

United States
    What you say is true. I was not implying that it was some great artistic statement, but I do say that great artistic achievement was the result. I submit not that they "ignored" period continuity, but that within the framework of the series, period continuity is of little importance.
    I have to disagree with you on that, since it can hardly be a "great artistic achievement" if it was unintentional.

They ignored period continuity to have a substantially lower budget, and then came up with the idea to have each film reflect the decade it was produced in after the fact to explain it.

That's called "backtracking"...not "artistic".

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Svengoolie
    I have to disagree with you on that, since it can hardly be a "great artistic achievement" if it was unintentional.

They ignored period continuity to have a substantially lower budget, and then came up with the idea to have each film reflect the decade it was produced in after the fact to explain it.

That's called "backtracking"...not "artistic".
    This, coming from a huge fan of The Bad News Bears and The Thing? Come on!