Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gran Torino - One of Clint's Best - A DjfunkmasterG Review

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DubiousComforts View Post

I also have to wonder by which acting standard is everyone judging the Hmung actors in this movie. Gosh, a modern motion picture where the characters look and act like real people instead of the usual supermodels pouting for the camera--I thought those days were long gone.
    I hear what you are saying, and agree to some extent, but that kid playing Eastwood's counterpart was really not much of an actor. Think they could have done better. But, yeah, certainly prefer the cast as is to the regular hollywood choices, like making up Anne Hathaway in asian makeup or some nonsense like that.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Although the Hmung/Hmong(Sp?) actors aren't the best, I don't think it takes anything away from the story. Personally, I am glad to see a film like this in this millenium. You really gotta hang your balls out there in this day and age to play a character like Walt Kowalski, and Clint was just the man for the job.

I keep reminding myself he is 78 now, and won't be around much longer which sucks because he is truly one of Cinemas Greatest personas ever. No one will kill scumbags like Clint.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    I keep reminding myself he is 78 now, and won't be around much longer which sucks because he is truly one of Cinemas Greatest personas ever.
    True that. Cinema's full of actors, but how many legitimate ICONS can we say are working today? How many up & comers look likely to fit the bill? It makes me sad.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    True that. Cinema's full of actors, but how many legitimate ICONS can we say are working today? How many up & comers look likely to fit the bill? It makes me sad.
    There is not a single actor today that will ever have the iconic status of Clint Eastwood. He is like the Michael Jordan of Cinema. Cruise, Clooney, Pitt, none of them have that legendary status. I would say his closest is Connery, but he retired, Clint has been in the business for 50+ years and is still kicking like a champ.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

United States
    Clint's consistent. Other guys can claim to be in more films total, or have some films better than some of Clint's. But nobody - NOBODY - has had more good movies. They either only have a couple great ones and that's it, or a bunch of sucky ones.

Thinking about all of Clint's movies, I can only come up with White Hunter, Black Heart and The Bridges of Madison County for the "bad" column. Even his middle-of-the-road stuff like Pink Cadillac and A Perfect World are pretty good.

United States
    There is not a single actor today that will ever have the iconic status of Clint Eastwood. Cruise, Clooney, Pitt, none of them have that legendary status.
    Once again, Yojimbo agrees with Dj. Cruise, Clooney and Pitt are not even close in talent to Eastwood, and are not fit to smell his $hit.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    clint is indeed the man. who else, besides clint, could remain the ultimate movie badass after starring in two movies with an orangutan sidekick?
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post
    Clint's consistent. Other guys can claim to be in more films total, or have some films better than some of Clint's. But nobody - NOBODY - has had more good movies. They either only have a couple great ones and that's it, or a bunch of sucky ones.

Thinking about all of Clint's movies, I can only come up with White Hunter, Black Heart and The Bridges of Madison County for the "bad" column. Even his middle-of-the-road stuff like Pink Cadillac and A Perfect World are pretty good.
    I like A Perfect World. I thought both Kevin and Clint were great in that. If you haven't seen it I suggest Honkytonk Man, another under appreciated Gem.

Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    Once again, Yojimbo agrees with Dj. Cruise, Clooney and Pitt are not even close in talent to Eastwood, and are not fit to smell his $hit.
    A little bit too mch visual there, but ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    clint is indeed the man. who else, besides clint, could remain the ultimate movie badass after starring in two movies with an orangutan sidekick?
    Exactly. I mean I don't think I have ever watched a BAD Eastwood movie. I mean even like SRP mentions, even his worst films aren't as bad as some of the shit todays A-listers have done.

Thats it, I am having a Clint Marathon this weekend.

I will do the Spaghetti Trilogy, follow it with Dirty Harry, Sudden Impact, then go into Unforgiven, then A Perfect World, and top it off with In the Line of Fire.
    Last edited by DjfunkmasterG; 14-Jan-2009 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

United States
    you should probably add "the gauntlet" "heartbreak ridge" and "escape from alcatraz" to that list, DJ.

i was going to see "gran torino" last night, but didn't have the energy. perhaps i'll catch it this weekend.
    Last edited by ProfessorChaos; 14-Jan-2009 at 09:18 PM.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post
    See, I even like "White Hunter, Black Heart". I thought his portrayal of John Houston was great & since I'm a fan of "The African Queen" I thought it was interesting to see the back story of what was going on during filming.

You're right though, even Clint's less-than-stellar stuff is still better than most.
    Last edited by MoonSylver; 15-Jan-2009 at 12:30 AM.

Super Moderator

United States
    I can't believe that I haven't heard a single bad thing about this movie yet. I mean, not even any haters yet.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Aces, head on over to IMDB, some people are screaming the movie is racist as hell, and claiming the acting sucks. Mostly trolls from what i can tell, but, for us CLINT Fans this is something we have wanted to a long time. Clint playing a badass again.

Professor.... YOU NEED TO SEE THIS MOVIE MAN! YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED. I give it the DjfunkmasterG seal of approval. out of super smilies
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

United States
    Professor.... YOU NEED TO SEE THIS MOVIE MAN! YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED. I give it the DjfunkmasterG seal of approval. out of super smilies

alright dude, i'm sold. was planning on checking it out sooner or later, but based on your enthusiasm, i'll catch it ASAP. this weekend is kinda busy with my brother's wedding, but i'll find time.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    you should probably add "the gauntlet" "heartbreak ridge" and "escape from alcatraz" to that list, DJ.

i was going to see "gran torino" last night, but didn't have the energy. perhaps i'll catch it this weekend.
    Now all you guys have me thinking about his best movies. Gives me an idea; I think it's time we had a new tournament in the lounge.

Can't believe DJ is going to skip over Magnum Force and The Enforcer, and go straight for Sudden Impact...

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I skip those because I just watched them last weekend.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!