Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Evans City Cemetery owners are not friendly

United States
    some good suggestions guys. i appreciate it all. i understand that they dont wanna have the place disrespected.if you've ever been there, theres a huge place open for new graves. at least a few acres. i was picturing there. and being that it is a peaceful cemetery, "quite" was gonna be my theme. i'm sure he totally didnt think we understood that though. i'll think of a new good location. eh, we'll see. and thnx guys!

United States
    Let's see. Out of the blue you call up and ask about having a wedding in a cemetery. Perhaps NOTLD or zombies were mentioned in the conversation. Knowing how usually there is plenty of booze involved with nuptials the guy probably envisioned tombstones being knocked over, kids dressed as zombies running amok in his cemetery, and all other kinds of hedonism. You know how those Romero fans get when you get a few beers in em!

Beware the beast, man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.
    - 23rd Sacred Scroll, 6th verse

United States
    True, the cemetery probably has had some problems in the past with rowdy GAR fans. I know that at the Monroeville Mall the security officers are hard ass about folks who are there with zombies on the brain. When I was there in 04 for the Comicon, I know that there were a couple of fans that got ejected from the mall for taking pictures in Penneys, and they said that the Security Officers were real jerks about it. Having seen how some of the fans act, however, I do not doubt that their jerky attitude comes from years of having to deal with out of towners tromping through the mall, trying to find the secret hideway or the boiler room, acting like frat kids in Mexico on spring break!
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

United States
    Trance what about that toy store in the mall...you know the one that has the room dedicate to "Dawn"? You could have part of the ceremony in there I mean if its a small ceremony and then go out by the pond where the bridge is if they would let you? Maybe you could do it after the mall closes with permission. It would be great publicity for the store and the mall. You could even go over to the escalator and have bridal party positioned on it for pictures?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbieangel View Post
    Trance what about that toy store in the mall...you know the one that has the room dedicate to "Dawn"? You could have part of the ceremony in there I mean if its a small ceremony and then go out by the pond where the bridge is if they would let you? Maybe you could do it after the mall closes with permission. It would be great publicity for the store and the mall. You could even go over to the escalator and have bridal party positioned on it for pictures?
    That is a killer idea. You could probably contact Sharon and Clayton Hill too and invite them as "special guests" since it would be hilarious to have the original Nurse Zombie and Sweater/Escalator Zombie in the wedding photo, even if they are not made up.
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

United States
    Do it anyways.

Its better to beg forgiveness than ask permsission.

u said its not a large group so they might think its a memorial.
    hit and run wedding.

and if the cops come they wont arrest a wedding party,
    deny u ever called them and say u cant afford a church
    and someone u know is buried there.

id do it in a second.

or if u wanna just have the experience
    go for the after wedding photos there.
    I doubt they will mind that.

United States
    Under most circumstances, I would agree with Kortick's wise words that "it is better to ask to be forgiven than to beg for permission" however, knowing how many women are about their wedding days, I think that I would avoid potential hassles of doing a guerilla style, "hit and run" wedding at the cemetery. Some women - not necessarily your fiancee, though - attach a lot of weight to issues, however small, that come up on the day of the ceremony, and in that emotionally charged enviroment something as simple as an error with a floral arrangement or an uncle showing up late can tip the already precarious balance from the "perfect day" to something that will be forever remembered as an "absolute disaster". With all the things that can go wrong, all of that assorted minutea, you might want to avoid from the onset something that might turn out to be problematic.

The prospect that there might be a family there to lay flowers on a relative's grave who might express to your bride that they are offended by your party's presence coupled with the idea that the cops might show up just doesn't seem all that good to me, especially for what should be a "happy" and "perfect" day in your lives. Forget about the threat of being arrested (which is unlikely, I agree) being hassled by the local constabulary and made to feel unwelcome is way, way, bad enough.

If you really want to do this at Evan's City Cemetery, perhaps you should call personally (don't leave this up to a third party, since they may say the wrong things) and speak to the general manager of the cemetery(not the groundskeeper) and see if that might open doors for you. The cemetery itself may be municipally owned, in which case you would want to contact them through the auspices of the Jackson Township, Butler County, PA. Maybe a polite and courteous telephone call explaining your intentions regarding your wedding service, and fees paid to the cemetery, and perhaps agreeing to hire a Township police officer or Deputy Sherrif to attend the ceremony- ostensibly to ensure that things stay respectful and do not get out of control -might work and they might allow you to have the ceremony on their grounds.

In any event, whatever you choose to do, you have my best wishes for the best wedding ever!
    Last edited by Yojimbo; 05-Apr-2009 at 06:54 PM.

United States
    i would normally agree with kortick too, and in fact did suggest it. but as jimbo said she wasnt into it at all. it does have to be special and perfect for her too. as far as the cemetery it's privatly owned. but hey i'm sure we'll figure it out. and thnx again guys!

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Trancelikestate View Post
    i would normally agree with kortick too, and in fact did suggest it. but as jimbo said she wasnt into it at all.
    That's why we call Yo the wise man on the mount. Or was it the wise old man on the mount

it does have to be special and perfect for her too. as far as the cemetery it's privatly owned. but hey i'm sure we'll figure it out. and thnx again guys!
    Well, best of luck and let us know how it all works out (don't be shy about sharing a wedding pic or two, man)
    Last edited by AcesandEights; 05-Apr-2009 at 08:17 PM.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    Oh so they're okay if a documentary crew wanna come in and film the place but they draw the line at a dream wedding? I would've told the caretaker guy to f**k right off.
    You can be quite discreet/quiet with a camera. A wedding in a cemetary is somewhat disrespectful IMHO.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    You can be quite discreet/quiet with a camera. A wedding in a cemetary is somewhat disrespectful IMHO.
    I agree with Neil. Everyone has to understand these are simple rural people running the whole town. Their unaffected nature is in fact there charm. To say they are unfriendly is just not accurate. To say they acted negatively to something they didn’t understand to me is more accurate. I know these people and you have to approach them in a much different way. They are truly not affected by the success of Night and I can understand they would consider this an unreasonable request. I really think they are the type people that if they truly understood your situation they would work in anyway reasonable to help you out. Remember the whole history of this town in that cemetery. Night of the Living Dead is only one part of its history.
    IMHO
    Gary

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I agree with Neil, sorry guys!its the resting place of real dead people, with real families, who would probably see it as a kind of desecration regardless of whether a scene from a film was shot there once 40 years ago. To let one wedding happen there would probably open the floodgates to hundreds. I know you'll have the best intentions, but you cant control the behaviour of all your guests either...

United States
    well, when i say unfriendly i am reffering to how i would treat someone. i can be rude sure, but not without being highly provoked. in just a conversation on the phone, especially with someone i dont know, i am very friendly. even if what thier asking is annoying combined with the fact that they themselves are annoying i am still able to maintain my composure at least until i get off the fone, and then complain to a co-worker. that in my opinion is unfriendly. not to mention unprofessional.

i agree, say yes to us, and you'd have to say yes to everyone. and maybe it is an unconventional idea. but thats no reason to just not have any manners at all.
    Last edited by Trancelikestate; 06-Apr-2009 at 10:01 PM.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Trancelikestate View Post
    well, when i say unfriendly i am reffering to how i would treat someone. i can be rude sure, but not without being highly provoked. in just a conversation on the phone, especially with someone i dont know, i am very friendly. even if what thier asking is annoying combined with the fact that they themselves are annoying i am still able to maintain my composure at least until i get off the fone, and then complain to a co-worker. that in my opinion is unfriendly. not to mention unprofessional.

i agree, say yes to us, and you'd have to say yes to everyone. and maybe it is an unconventional idea. but thats no reason to just not have any manners at all.
    I hear where you are coming from Trance. Like I said before, there's no need to be rude to folks - being polite doesn't cost anything and makes the world a better place to live in. Certainly, you did not mean that the whole population of Evans City/Butler County are rude or unfriendly, just that the dude from the cemetery was short with your relative. He did not have to respond in this fashion, no matter how annoyed he might be due to folk's interest in the cemetery's horror film noteriety.

That being said, I would give the owner a break on this. Maybe he was just having a bad day - I've been there too, as I am sure all of us has. Or maybe this was the third call he fielded that day following two calls from crazed and very rude teenage zombie fans. And don't let this setback get you down in any way-- the main thing is you are going to have a great wedding regardless.

United States
    yeah, thats the biggest thing of course. and i didnt even talk to him so idont even really know what went on. i was just stating a point. sometimes for me i like to just get nicer and smart ass like but thats just my technique.