Dude, someone like you who rebuilds a 22RE engine (for fun?) is lightyears ahead of me in the department of not getting bullshitted by a morally questionable mechanic. If I had your skill set, I wouldn't feel like I am handing a jar of lube to the mechanic while bending over every time I take my Volvo in for a repair.

Unfortuneatly it was not a fun experience. Toyota has a (intentional?) design flaw which can allow the timing chain to wear into the cooling system, causing all coolant to drain into the crankcase (which is what happened to me). At that stage overhaul or replacement were my only options.

Here's a fantastic and truly simple manual for Volkswagens. http://www.amazon.com/How-keep-your-.../dp/0912528176

The graphics are oddly reminiscent of Robert Crumb and it is easily understood. Even though I never had a VW, it was instrumental in showing me how the automobile works, which is applicable across the board.

Haynes manuals are effing fantastic though, especially for trouble shooting, types of oil, brake fluid, power steering fluid etc etc...still wayy too technical for me though....
Haynes all the way! Unfortunatly they don't have the old standard English-to-American translations anymore. My first attempts at learning what bonnets, boots and earth leads had me stymied.