Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: From Romero's films...

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    Who is Torres??

Well, he's this guy

Oh yeah!
    moon, did you try to put up a pic? i know i did and the fooking thing disappeared. i'll write that one off to the internet gods. i've uploaded another one from a different source and if that one disappears...
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Christmas Island
    Let's try this:

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusIncredulous View Post
    Let's try this:

Yup, that's the one I was thinking of. The scream is unreal in that scene. *Shudder*

Thanks MaximusIncredulous!
    Last edited by AcesandEights; 22-Apr-2009 at 03:24 AM.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Christmas Island
    Quote Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
    thanks maximusincreduloud!
    You're WELCOME!!!
    Last edited by MaximusIncredulous; 22-Apr-2009 at 03:25 AM.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    moon, did you try to put up a pic? i know i did and the fooking thing disappeared. i'll write that one off to the internet gods. i've uploaded another one from a different source and if that one disappears...
    I was referring to the same actor who played the biker in Dawn (sledge) played Torres in Day. Also many of the zombie stunts in Dawn and Day. He was the lead zombie who helped rip Rhodes in half.

"That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

United States
    pics aren't working for you guys or something? that's funny...and so is this:

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    pics aren't working for you guys or something? that's funny...and so is this:
    egads, is that a floater. the horror of it all.

you know, i am sometimes tempted to drive the 3 or 4 hours that it would take just to burn a fat one with your magnificent self.
    Last edited by Mike70; 22-Apr-2009 at 03:39 AM.

United States
    thanks for the compliment dude. i'm actually going to be in ohio for the reds and cardinals game on july 4th, so who knows....i'm thinking of going to the evans city living dead festival this year, as well as a few other spots along the east cost this fall, so if maybe i can swing through then.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    thanks for the compliment dude. i'm actually going to be in ohio for the reds and cardinals game on july 4th, so who knows....i'm thinking of going to the evans city living dead festival this year, as well as a few other spots along the east cost this fall, so if maybe i can swing through then.
    oh hang on there just a centon - you're going to be in cincinnati on july 4th? dude that is where i live (okay i live in oxford but it ain't that far and i grew up in cincinnati and drive down there all the time). you and i are gonna smoke the peace pipe and mabye undertake a pub crawl through the university district with a few friends of mine- what do you say to that?
    Last edited by Mike70; 22-Apr-2009 at 03:57 AM.

United States
    wtf is up with this site?

all kinds of problems with pics earlier, now i've got three duplicate posts....fixed 'em, fuck it.

pm sent mike.
    Last edited by ProfessorChaos; 22-Apr-2009 at 04:14 AM.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicMoonMonkey View Post
    Bassman, I have always maintained - even in the old forums - that if one person did not deserve to die, it was Captain Rhodes. I honestly don't understand why so many people demonise the guy. If your numbers were dwindling and those responsible (by requiring your comrades be put in danger for their experiments) were making next to no progress and basically just fannying around, wouldn't you just think enough is enough and start making things difficult for them? His reaction to finding his men being used as a reward for Bub was perfectly reasonable in my book. I personally would have just shot them all in their face and not arsed around making deals (One armed Miguel) and playing with the others (Zombie holding pen escape by McDermott ans Sarah). He had the right idea when dispatching Ted Fisher.

Whoa, that's an interesting take on Rhodes!!! Remember though, the scientists weren't "evil" characters, they weren't doing anything they did for their own benefit, they were genuinely trying to make the best of a bad situation with the limited equipment they had - they did not deserve to die for that. Science has historically always challenged our perception of morality and indeed this happened to Rhodes when he discovered the bodies of his men being fed to Bub - but no scientist murdered those solidiers and you certainly don't, in a normally functioning society, go around murdering scientists who you don't agree with. Rhodes theory wasn't to try and deal with the problem, it was to escape it - that was also the idealogy that John took, but ultimately it's that selfish "self preservation" element that will not solve such a problem - Logan and Sarah and Fisher were genuinely trying to do anything they can, with logan resorting to desperate measures - Rhodes wasn't interested in that, or saving humanity, he just wanted to make the best for himself which highlighted him and the soliders as very selfish individuals, that's why they made things difficult for the scientists, because they couldn't be bothered to take the hardest route possible to change things, and made the whole situation political rather than based on reason. Also remember, Fisher and Sarah had no idea what Logan was feeding Bub.
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Just been bitten

Scotland
    SymphonicX,

I get where you're coming from, but bear in mind that Rhodes only saw what was going on in front of him. He didn't see Sarah's disgust at the experiments on Major Cooper. He didn't hear John's conversation with McDermott and Sarah about finding an island and starting over.

What he did see was disrespect for his command from the Scientific and Civilian personel. He saw Sarah 'sign off' Miguel by sedating him without Rhodes' authorisation. He saw an achoholic Radio Operator whine about his equipment being useless and trying to be a smartarse with it. He was constantly back-chatted and disrespected at every turn by the Scientists during each and every conversation.

As the movie progressed, his tolerance of the non-military element was stretched to it's limits due to the lack of progress and almost flippant attitude to being nowhere near a scientific solution by suggesting the enemy (which out numbered them 400,000/1) be domesticated and rewarded! Rhodes did ultimately concede and let the scientific element go about their business, but at a price during every single conflict between the groups. A price that would no longer put his men at risk. Think about it... during every conflict prior to finding his fallen men in the cold room, Rhodes conceded the fight and backed down. Even after Miguel was bitten and Johnston and Miller were killed. He still backed down and let them nurse Miguel back to health despite the calls by his men to kill Miguel. A Course of action that would doom them all eventually.

Rhodes proved time and again throughout the course of the movie that he ultimately wants the Scientific element of his charges to succeed by constantly allowing them their freedom to work despite the conflicts of interest and the losses to his troops. Bear in mind also that Rhodes probably served alongside the soldiers for years prior to this assignment. They weren't just his troops, they were his brothers.

Now, think about it from Rhodes' perspective. You have been pushed to your limit but will let the scientific and civilian element go about their business on the understanding that no more threats from the dead will be permitted within the confines of the base. You turn a corner and POW! 3 of the non-military personel are watching the enemy feeding from a bucket. You demand answers, and you are delivered the final act of disrespect. They are feeding your men; your brothers to the enemy. You dont take a moment out to give it some thought and place blame on the sole offender. You saw 2 non military personel watch the lead scientist feed the enemy the best bits of your friends.
    At no point did Sarah or McDermott plead their innocence or condemn what Logan had done. Their only action was to tell John that Rhodes had killed Logan in cold blood. Cold blood? The fact that the guy was carrying out unauthorised experiments and feeding the fallen to the enemy was a crime that merited a more gruesome punishment. Logan was the real bad guy in the movie. Rhodes reacted insanely to the crimes that Logan had been committing (and insanely accusing them all of being part of the betrayal) because the act of finding his men butchered drove him insane. I bet at some point in your life, you have acted irrationally due to an event that triggered your anger and I would bet it didn't involve being betrayed to the extent that Rhodes was.

So, now that I have explained my perception of Rhodes and why I believe he didn't deserve his fate or his reputation as the 'bad guy', maybe it will shine the misunderstood soul in a new light with you a little. Next time you watch the movie, try to imagine you were Rhodes and see how differently you would react to each situation without the benefit of hindsight and the knowledge of conversations between Scientist and Civilians outwith his earshot.

Rhodes was indeed a better man than me as I personally would have executed them all a lot sooner given the circumstances.

Edit.

Another fact that has not been discussed as to the measure of the man is, despite being underground for god knows how long seeing no results and being constantly abused by the scientific element, he had complete control of his men and himself to allow a woman - possibly the last woman - to roam freely and go about her business without the threat of sexual attack or removal of her status as a member of a prodominately male environment. To another group of people Sarah could easily have been locked in a room and used as a spunk sponge for the males. Rhodes again proved he was a good man.
    Last edited by MagicMoonMonkey; 23-Apr-2009 at 10:40 PM.

Canada
    Rhodes, I always thought his death was the worst and the goriest, to me anyways. Can you imagine watching your lower half being ripped away from you and actually able to see your spine...Makes me shudder

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Right there with ya. Horrible way to go. I do feel bad for him, but everyone had it rough in Day. Rodes was just the most obvious negative act...er.

Ireland
    Regarding the Rhodes character, who's one of my favorite characters in any of the movies, it's hard to identify with the man on a sympathetic level. Here's a guy who is on the verge of a breakdown and what's more, a violent breakdown that would be incredibly harmful for the rest of the group.

The guy is clearly an unsympathetic character, who threatens sexual and murderous violence on the very sympathetic character of Sarah. Remember, he makes the threat about getting "...some lovin'" and orders Steele to shoot Sarah because she wouldn't sit down.

He also orders Steele to "knock some sense..." into John's "Jungle-bunny head". He wants John alive, simply because he can further his own miserable existence.

Rhodes has, quite clearly, lost the plot.

...and as for "caring" about his men, he didn't give two thoughts about running off on Steele and Rickles when the going got tough. He even locks a door and leaves them to their fate, when he runs away from the zombie horde that has entered the complex.

In short, given the choice of who I would rather be stuck down in an underground cave with...the scientist group (with Billy and John) will win every time.

At least Billy and John will look out for you when things got rough...Rhodes would get in a golf cart an fuck off
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....