Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: French snub royals at D.Day anniversary..

United States
    Speaking of Mr. Caine, I think that the Battle of Britain should be required viewing in classrooms when discussing WW2. It just..should.

England
    Well,the good news is that france has now caved in (where have we seen that before) and the queen is invited!

*edit - although the french have now said the royals can attend,its been left far too late for anything to be done about it,so none will be attending!I just hope someone is there to speak up for & honor all our veterans who will be there
    Last edited by Tricky; 29-May-2009 at 02:58 PM.

Canada
    Personally, I'd much rather see movies that show cased the Canadian efforts in both World Wars- that is something you never see in hollywood movies. Maybe I'm just sensible, but we sacrificed a hell of a lot in both wars, especially for a nation with such a comparatively small population.

I have nothing but respect for those that fought -and died- in WW1, and WW2, but come on, we've seen enough about the American involvement, lets see some English and Canadian perspectives now!

Ahh well, I guess I'll have to get my fix by watching the history channel..

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by mista_mo View Post
    i have nothing but respect for those that fought -and died- in ww1, and ww2, but come on, we've seen enough about the american involvement, lets see some english and canadian perspectives now!
    [cough]anzac[/cough]

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by mista_mo View Post
    Personally, I'd much rather see movies that show cased the Canadian efforts in both World Wars- that is something you never see in hollywood movies. Maybe I'm just sensible, but we sacrificed a hell of a lot in both wars, especially for a nation with such a comparatively small population.

I have nothing but respect for those that fought -and died- in WW1, and WW2, but come on, we've seen enough about the American involvement, lets see some English and Canadian perspectives now!

Ahh well, I guess I'll have to get my fix by watching the history channel..
    You damn canucks want credit for everything. Can't you just be happy the remake of DAWN, LAND, DIARY and the new yet untitled DEAD films were shot in your country?

Canada is the new PITTSBURGH

Of course I am fucking with you, so don't have a cow.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    You damn canucks want credit for everything. Can't you just be happy the remake of DAWN, LAND, DIARY and the new yet untitled DEAD films were shot in your country?

Canada is the new PITTSBURGH
    Though this brings up a good point that I was steering away from, but what the hell...

Why not put some pressure on the home front, Mo, and maybe "Hollywood North" can make some films that show Canada's contributions. Unless I'm mistaken, Canada's film industry has blossomed (relatively speaking) over the last thirty years and, coupled with modern & less expensive production techniques and equipment, there's no reason your country's film industry can't crack out some good films on the topic in question.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by childofgilead View Post
    Speaking of Mr. Caine, I think that the Battle of Britain should be required viewing in classrooms when discussing WW2. It just..should.
    Fantastic film!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    It's obvious that the French just don't care about the queen. Are you honestly surprised?

England
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post
    It's obvious that the French just don't care about the queen. Are you honestly surprised?
    But its not just snubbing our queen,its snubbing the British military veterans who fought there who wont see many more of these anniversaries,sure some of the vets will be there,but without our head of state to speak up for them,they will be largely ignored by the media

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    But its not just snubbing our queen,its snubbing the British military veterans who fought there who wont see many more of these anniversaries,sure some of the vets will be there,but without our head of state to speak up for them,they will be largely ignored by the media
    There was an interesting piece I saw a bit of on Newsnight last night, and it was going on about American war films and TV (e.g. Saving Private Ryan, and Band of Brothers), and how Britain is 'slowly being erased from WW2' ... and indeed, it seems that way.

Videogames are doing a far better job than movies or TV - the Call of Duty franchise always/often features numerous missions where you play a Brit - and heck, the vast majority of COD4 (while not WW2) you play as Soap MacTavish, a dude from the SAS ... but the likes of COD2 really highlight Britain's involvement.

COD5 only has Americans and Russians though.

There needs to be more films, tv and games that focus far more/entirely on the role the Brits played in and throughout the war.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    There was an interesting piece I saw a bit of on Newsnight last night, and it was going on about American war films and TV (e.g. Saving Private Ryan, and Band of Brothers), and how Britain is 'slowly being erased from WW2' ... and indeed, it seems that way.

Going off topic slightly but in a similar vain, its not just world war 2 either,how about this one? http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7012698.stm
    Rewriting history to make it inclusive of all the different cultures that now exist in Britain!

Mr Phillips's view appears to be based on the work of historian Jerry Brotton. He argues that the Armada had been weakened before it even set sail because the Spanish had been forced to keep some ships in the Mediterranean to deal with the troublesome Turkish navy.
    But Dr Simon Adams, co-author of England, Spain and the Grand Armada, said the Ottomans were not threatening Spain in the Mediterranean.
    He said: "The letter had been sent in 1584 or 1585 and although England might have hoped the Turks would cause the Spanish problems, nothing really happened.
    "The Turks were not really doing anything (against Spain) in 1588. They were busy in the Near East."
    Dr Adams said the Armada failed because it was poorly planned and the English had an effective Navy helped by favourable weather.
    The Civitas think-tank, which has republished the authoritative history Our Island Story by Henrietta Elizabeth Marshall, said the claim is "fantasy".
    Robert Whelan, of Civitas, said: "Before we start weaving in stories about the Turks and the Armada, dreamt up by people with their own agenda, we should first ensure we get the basics right."
    Last edited by Tricky; 30-May-2009 at 12:56 PM.

Super Moderator

UK
    Going off topic slightly but in a similar vain, its not just world war 2 either,how about this one? http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7012698.stm
    Rewriting history to make it inclusive of all the different cultures that now exist in Britain!
    Political correctness has long since out-lived its purpose methinks...

United States
    That's not true. They invited the PM, the actual head of the government. It's not like they put out a "British Ban" or something.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post
    That's not true. They invited the PM, the actual head of the government. It's not like they put out a "British Ban" or something.
    Gordon Brown is not the head of british armed forces though,the Queen is,and on top of that she is the only surviving head of state who served in the war & the veterans of that time have far more respect for the royals than our generation has because thats just how things were,and besides i dont think a single person in britain has any respect for gordon brown or any of his cabinet,pretty much the entire nation wishes he would just quit & call an election!

United States
    the veterans of that time have far more respect for the royals than our generation has because thats just how things were,and besides i dont think a single person in britain has any respect for gordon brown or any of his cabinet,pretty much the entire nation wishes he would just quit & call an election!
    That's true, but not relevant. You're stuck with your current "leader" no matter how much you may not like it. Same with everyone. Many Americans sure as fuck don't like the idea that Obama is "representing" them in these things either, but he's the guy they're stuck with, like it or not.

And when you get down to it, if the monarchy still had the actual power, half the country would be constantly bashing on the queen right now. Why? Because half a country always wants one thing, and the other half always wants the opposite. If you're the "leader", half the people are going to hate you at all times. It's just a matter of which half.