Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just finished reading "World War Z"...

United States
    Wyldwraith. . . .

Word to your mother!!
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    Personally, I think WWZ is very, very overrated. I could name a bunch of zombie books that thrilled me a lot more.
    It reminds me of War Day, by Whitley Strieber and James Kunetka, about a pair of journalists trekking across America after a limited nuclear war. Kind of a 'Where were you when the bombs fell. ' tome.
    I thought that one seriously lacked on several fronts, including any real sense of drama, ironic or otherwise.
    I haven't read World War Z yet, partly because I haven't been reading alot of fiction these days, Real Life sucking up my time. Still, another Zombie book on the shelf is generally a good thing, right?

Wayne Z

“I’d like to think that ‘Autonomy. ‘ isn’t just an idle word for us. “ ventured Bill, his careful challenge bringing an open grin to the old man’s lips. “You’re thinking about more than the current crisis. “ chuckled Delaney.
    “It has been a long road, and if you hope to Federalize in a pinch, even a quarter of what your proposition implies … “
    “Ya don‘t sweet talk your concerns, I’ll give you that. “ interrupted his mentor, though not with the rancor reserved for that unfortunate outside. “But how much further do we go? even without the Dead risin, before this separation would tear us apart. The Civil War, Reconstruction, Desegregation … “
    “Separate But Equal. “ amended Honor, giving their boss the Evil Eye as both he and Parson had the good sense to blush. “This seems an extreme way to bring both sides together, Winslow. “
    “Extreme times, as they say darlin. “ the senator countered dryly. “And I must say, You look mighty pretty when yer pissed off. “
    “Damn Yank Pride. “ she giggled, though not without following it with a deep sigh. “But still it has it’s time. Especially when we’re preparing to go off the deep end … “
    “Sink or Swim, we’ll go as one nation. “ he conceded with soft certainty, though cut by a cautious undertone. “Of course, when you think you’ve hit bottom, there’s always more bottom. “

DeadFall; Fools on The Hill. (Work in Progress. )

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyldwraith View Post

I don't mind a compromise between Super-Slow Ultra-Weak Savini zombies and runners however. Zombies that remained uncoordinated and of animal level intelligence AT MAX that have a reasonably quick lunge over a VERY SHORT distance (that would probably end with them falling over if they missed their target) would up the ante a bit, without shattering the tension shamblers create.
    Morningstar Strain! You get both, and in a way that actually makes sense.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by wayzim View Post
    It reminds me of War Day, by Whitley Strieber and James Kunetka, about a pair of journalists trekking across America after a limited nuclear war. Kind of a 'Where were you when the bombs fell. ' tome.
    I thought that one seriously lacked on several fronts, including any real sense of drama, ironic or otherwise.
    I haven't read World War Z yet, partly because I haven't been reading alot of fiction these days, Real Life sucking up my time. Still, another Zombie book on the shelf is generally a good thing, right?
    Thank you. I noted the likeness to Warday myself. Warday was a tad dry but I remember it as an interesting book.

World War Z is better though.

Undisclosed
    I've got it and read it, and where it succeeds, it succeeds well, and where it fails, it fails so hard it hurts. The Indian man's escape to the harbor and the Wisconsin girl's run with her family to Canada, the Aussie astronaut, the mentally stunted girl the Redeker plan, as well as the ex-Army dog handler were some of my favorite stories, as was Wainro's talk about LaMOEs and the other unexpected hazards on the offensive, like boobytraps, unstable buildings, gangs, and illness, and the General's 'bred, fed and led' talk.

Where it failed was I just couldn't buy the new military weapons and BDUs, not after the government reconstruction official had gone into the logistical nightmares he faced. The industrial capacity isn't there, nor are the the raw materials, even with his total war policy.

I thought the book screeched to a halt when Brooks tripped over his own politics (Heehee, Dick Cheney's shoveling horse shit, hehehe, Anne Coulter is fucking Bill Mahr, hehehehe!) Putting one's own political ideology in one's work is like cooking-go lightly or you're gonna overwhelm the dish, unless you're audience is up for it.

The blind Japanese swordsman and his computer nerd sidekick story fell flat on me. Can't we have a mention of Japan in a story that doesn't involve katanas or A-bombs? Seriously!

Holes in his research showed too, which pulled me out of the story. If you're going to mention researching for your story, expect to get nitpicked on when you make mistakes or miss stuff. The SIR kicks hard my ass. If Brooks had gone to a range and tried a few guns, maybe he'd have known a 5.56mm rifle recoils very little, and a gun like the Mini-14 practically nothing. Maybe he wouldn't have eaten that M-16 sucks bullshit up with a spoon in TZSG either. The Redeker plan abandoned every US gun maker to zombie territory. FN Herstal, Colt, and Beretta, most notably, in Virgina, Connecticut, and Maryland. They have the military contracts for the M-16, the M-249, the M-240, the M-4, the M-203 and the M-9. Every major US military small arm. If he'd mentioned moving the work forces and machinery across the Rockies, I'd buy rearmament. He doesn't so I assume it's a plot hole as to where he finds the industrial output and workforce to turn out a new army's worth of weapons in a few short months.

Enough, I've ragged on it enough. What was good was really good, what sucked sucked cold sick through a straw.
    Last edited by Wooley; 07-Jul-2009 at 05:27 AM. Reason: Added some more details.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Wooley View Post
    The blind Japanese swordsman and his computer nerd sidekick story fell flat on me. Can't we have a mention of Japan in a story that doesn't involve katanas or A-bombs? Seriously!
    Thank you, thank you! This is my only real problem with the book. The blind swordsman story is just ridiculous. There's noway in hell that could have happened in reality, and it's somehow as if the book is trying to remain realistic... except for these chapters when it suddenly turns into some kind of extremely clichéd fantasy. If he wanted to write about Japan, why not write about... Well, a business man or something like that instead?

Apart from that, I love the book. I've read it three times, which is more than I can say for any other book besides The Time Machine.

I cannot recommend WWZ highly enough. All you nay-sayers, repent!

But I've also read The Words of their Roaring, and while I don't think it comes anywhere near WWZ, it's still a very good book. Don't judge a book by it's cover, man. The "different" zombies in the book are presented very well and the whole film has a very good story arch that spans about ten years of a mans life. It's a bit Pulp Fictiony in it's storytelling, which can be troublesome at first, but you'll still get hooked.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post

been a while since any news about the film has come along. hopefully we'll hear some (good) news soon. such an abundance of material to cover in a single film, though...let's hope they don't fuck it up.
    Apparently Marc Forsters not happy with the script and has moved onto another project pushing WWZ further back. They should get rid of him altogether and get someone else in.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA