Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Day of the Dead 2008 - Dear God!

England
    I think I was the first one here to see this after downloading it and I remember being severly offended by this pathetic excuse for a "zombie" movie. But oh no I couldn't help myself recording it when I saw it was on ITV4. Of course I lasted probably 5 mins before it all came flooding back so it promptly got switched off. The pain was too much.
    Absolutely disgraceful attempted cash in.
    I'm rewatching Shaun of the Dead at the mo. Now there's a zombie movie
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    I think I was the first one here to see this after downloading it and I remember being severly offended by this pathetic excuse for a "zombie" movie. But oh no I couldn't help myself recording it when I saw it was on ITV4. Of course I lasted probably 5 mins before it all came flooding back so it promptly got switched off. The pain was too much.
    Absolutely disgraceful attempted cash in.
    I'm rewatching Shaun of the Dead at the mo. Now there's a zombie movie

I think it's time to seperate runners and shamblers. Not literally but in our sense of what zombies should be runners, cieling crawlers and yelpers (yes, you too big daddy) don't belong.

I think they should just be in a seperate catagory. That way we can just enjoy them (or not ) for what they are.

Zombies an ghouls should cover the shamblers we love. The runners, etc, should just be called infected whether they're technically dead or not. Either way their superhuman feats don't fit into our neat little box.

Side note: The zombies from left for dead are refered to as infected yet the official guide clearly states that these beings are dead. I seems that if pop culture is remaking what we think zombies are or should be.

Just something to think about.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    big daddy single handedly ruined land for me. he is just awful. so irritating. i wish bub would walk up from florida and twist his ugly little screaming zombie head right off.

and yes, the day remake makes me feel like my head is gonna explode.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Trancelikestate View Post
    big daddy single handedly ruined land for me. he is just awful. so irritating. i wish bub would walk up from florida and twist his ugly little screaming zombie head right off.

I'm starting the petition as we speak buddy !!

He ruined it for me as well as is the biggest reason why I've only watched it 2 or 3 times all the way through.

As annoying as the the raptor/track stars are for the dawn 04' haters Big daddy is the the counterpart to the land haters.

I love dawn 04' and will conceed that the zombies in it mayhave been over the top. yet the same concession has not been made in the other camp about the behavior of big daddy. All we get are excuses.

I would be nice is all I'm sayin'.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    More pics of Mena Suvari, please.
    Those aren't real problems, Sam.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    Zombies an ghouls should cover the shamblers we love. The runners, etc, should just be called infected whether they're technically dead or not. Either way their superhuman feats don't fit into our neat little box.
    Now i dont agree with that, i think runners can be considered zombies as i think its perfectly feasible for a zombie to be able to run aslong as its body is capable, i can remember who it was but someone said once that zombies should start out as runners and turn to shamblers as they age and their bodies and muscles deterioate.. which i agree with and think is perfectly plausible.

I Think it was DJ... im not sure..

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Now i dont agree with that, i think runners can be considered zombies as i think its perfectly feasible for a zombie to be able to run aslong as its body is capable, i can remember who it was but someone said once that zombies should start out as runners and turn to shamblers as they age and their bodies and muscles deterioate.. which i agree with and think is perfectly plausible.

Yes, it was DJ - that was his M.O. for his zeds in the Deadlands flicks.

Those flicks being the rare occasions (along with Dead Set) where I can stomach runners ... but I'm very much of the 'Simon Pegg mindset' - in that death should be a disability, not a super power.

Running is a complex, co-ordinated action - but the zombies can't speak, or be civil, or organise themselves (all complex, co-ordinated tasks), but they can run like Usain Bolt ... yeah right.

In movies like Yawn04, runners just strike me as lazy writing, the people hammering the keys can't be arsed to figure out situations with shamblers where the shit goes down.

I myself have written a feature-length zombie epic script - with shamblers - and it was just a case of putting people in situations where they became vulnerable and making it believable, as well as exciting, but then also showing that if the people were careful, worked together, didn't become complacent etc, then they'd be okay.

Like I said, Dead Set and the Deadlands flicks are the only "runner" movies I can stomach, and they each have something a lot more going for them than that, which are the real reasons why I like them and that they're good quality entertainment.

Yawn04 was pure shit-pish.

United States
    On the farm when we go out to get a fresh chicken for supper, I have witnessed on may occasions right after twisting the head off of a chicken the "body" of the chicken will run wildly around the yard for a short time and then continue to "twitch" and jerk for some time afterwards. It cant see, it cant eat, it cant logic, but by god it can run around before it shambles.
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Now that's something that makes alot of sense. And if someone made a film like that, that would be one thing.

However, the films that are made today involving runners don't. Months into it they're still running. Hell they might even be faster.

One thing is for sure and is the point I was trying to make: The runners that people get on so much here aren't like what most of us accept as zombies. There are numerous differences that seperate the two. Enough so that they might be considered a deifferent "species".

In any case having them in seperate catagories will get us off each others back for the most part on this issue, imo.

That'll free up waaaaaaay more time for timeline discussions!!

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    While Day 08 is bad, its nowhere near as bad as the name rape sequel to the original aka Craptagium.

While I think Children is most likely the worst zombie film ever made, Craptagium is just so bad it is beyond redemption. I use to think a title change would help it, but now I doubt even that is possible.
    Last edited by DjfunkmasterG; 29-Jul-2009 at 06:29 PM.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Running is a complex, co-ordinated action - but the zombies can't speak, or be civil, or organise themselves (all complex, co-ordinated tasks), but they can run like Usain Bolt ... yeah right.

In movies like Yawn04, runners just strike me as lazy writing, the people hammering the keys can't be arsed to figure out situations with shamblers where the shit goes down.
    Well i cant say i agree, i dont class running as a "complex co-ordinated action" on the same level of brain function as speaking or being civil... it more of a instinct were as being civil is just something thats taught to us from childhood.

Countless different animals run, especially when chasing prey. So i think it could safely be considered a instinct.

Secondly while i do agree with you that shamblers are by far the superior zombie, dont get me wrong here, i think runners can be a enjoyable alternative and i think dawn'04 was done quite well, especially in comparison to other movies like day'08 for example.. love dawn'04 or hate it, you have to admit the first 10 minutes of the movie were good.

I Cant think of anything like that for Day'08.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombie Snack View Post
    On the farm when we go out to get a fresh chicken for supper, I have witnessed on may occasions right after twisting the head off of a chicken the "body" of the chicken will run wildly around the yard for a short time and then continue to "twitch" and jerk for some time afterwards. It cant see, it cant eat, it cant logic, but by god it can run around before it shambles.
    Great point and well put!

I also have to say I'm happy to see Andy's take on the matter. I agree that shamblers are the superior sort of zed, but think there's room for runners within reason.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Well i cant say i agree, i dont class running as a "complex co-ordinated action" on the same level of brain function as speaking or being civil... it more of a instinct were as being civil is just something thats taught to us from childhood.

Countless different animals run, especially when chasing prey. So i think it could safely be considered a instinct.

Secondly while i do agree with you that shamblers are by far the superior zombie, dont get me wrong here, i think runners can be a enjoyable alternative and i think dawn'04 was done quite well, especially in comparison to other movies like day'08 for example.. love dawn'04 or hate it, you have to admit the first 10 minutes of the movie were good.

I Cant think of anything like that for Day'08.

The first 10 of Dawn 04 is really good, especially when Ana comes ut of the house and the whole neighborhood is thrown into chaos.

That is the method I use for my films. It is based on the effects of Rigor mortis. When it sets in you start to slow down because everything cramps up, but you can become more agile after a while because it does eventually work itself out.

It was something I used in Deadlands 1, but didn't employ in Deadlands 2 because the whole zombie outbreak covered in Deadlands 2 is only a window of about 6 hours max.

Now that's something that makes alot of sense. And if someone made a film like that, that would be one thing.

However, the films that are made today involving runners don't. Months into it they're still running. Hell they might even be faster.

I think I am the only one to use the method Andy refers too. However, I haven't addressed that issue for the third film because it all depends on what scale the third one gets done at, whether it be a combo remake of part and a new story bunched into it, or just a simple third zombie film told in the post zombie uprising era.
    Last edited by DjfunkmasterG; 29-Jul-2009 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    I think I am the only one to use the method Andy refers too. However, I haven't addressed that issue for the third film because it all depends on what scale the third one gets done at, whether it be a combo remake of part and a new story bunched into it, or just a simple third zombie film told in the post zombie uprising era.

That sounds cool. I just get tired of every zombie film being basically the same. The two most kickass stretches of film that I can recall, imo, are the final 30 minutes of day and the first 10-15 minutes of dawn 04'.

Imo, this is so because it's just complete chaos. The beginning of dawn o4' (and it's something everyone seems to mention, even detractors of the film,) shows the chaos that ensues in the streets. You almost never see that. We need much more of that type of epic scale stuff, imo.

There's nothing wrong with social comentary, but ya gotta bring the goods as well.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Imo, this is so because it's just complete chaos. The beginning of dawn o4' (and it's something everyone seems to mention, even detractors of the film,) shows the chaos that ensues in the streets. You almost never see that. We need much more of that type of epic scale stuff, imo.
    I think Shaun did this quite well too, albeit in a different way, and with shamblers. Shaun's breakdown is more like a gradual decay... isolated incidents and attacks... reports of people being bitten... people talking about dishevelled junkies going nuts and killing people... before long the powers of the police and emergency services are exhausted and everyone is just sitting in their homes, peering out through their net curtains wondering what to do, waiting for some zombies to smash through the window.