Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RIP Filmmaker John Hughes

Super Moderator

United States
    I saw this the other day and was totally weirded out by it for some reason. It's a damned shame and I think I know how I'll be spending some of my free time this weekend, now.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    I liked his films a lot, but after reading
    Matty Simmons "If You Dont Buy This Book, We will shoot this Dog"
    my opinion of him as a person changed.

He was paid $500,00 to write the script for European Vacation
    and had a contract to do it, but handed in a piece of garbage
    and Simmons told him he wanted a real John Hughes script
    and he had been paid for it in full, but Hughes told him
    "sorry I am busy working on my next film, thats what u get"
    He was spending the money he got paid for European Vacation
    to write Breakfast Club.

Harold Ramis took one look at the script Hughes submitted and
    cancelled his plans to direct it. Hughes had sent his script in
    late, and the movie had already been green lighted by the
    studio, and was already in pre production so it couldnt be cancelled.

European Vacation with a solid script from Hughes and Harold Ramis
    directing would have been nothing like the pic that got made.

Theres lots of other stories about how he wasnt exactly pleasant
    to work with, I cant praise him as a person, but he did make some
    good films.

I am not saying this to slam him, honestly i was unhappy to read
    about how a guy who made such touching movies wasn't a
    very nice or honest person.

Anyways RIP.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I don't know if it's just because with all this technology we're hearing about it more but there are just so many legends dropping like flies lately.

R.I.P. dude.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Found out that there was a documentary in production about Hughes, his films, and their impact on the world.

Dont You Forget About Me

It's a shame that they'll never "find" him and get the interview. Should still make for an interesting watch, though.

Kortick - Even though he handed in a shakey script for European Vacation, he later wrote and produced Christmas Vacation. Seems like he made up for it, imo.
    Last edited by bassman; 07-Aug-2009 at 04:35 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Found out that there was a documentary in production about Hughes, his films, and their impact on the world.

Dont You Forget About Me

It's a shame that they'll never "find" him and get the interview. Should still make for an interesting watch, though.

Kortick - Even though he handed in a shakey script for European Vacation, he later wrote and produced Christmas Vacation. Seems like he made up for it, imo.
    Ah yes, the incomparable billy idol!!

But yeah, what would 80's cinema be without his films?

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Administrator

England
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Shit, man, that's fucked up! On Wednesday night I was watching The Great Outdoors and saying to my girlfriend "I bet ya he makes a big comeback soon." Sadly, my prediction was the complete opposite, only hours later.

RIP Mr. Hughes

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I was wondering why he just up and left the business. That explains it.

John Candy was a great comedian and actor who is missed, but let's be honest. It wasn't Hollywood that killed him, it was his obesity...

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    Actually, "Don't You Forget About Me" was written/performed by The Simple Minds. It's an honest mistake that I've heard quite a few people make, though, so don't feel bad!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I was wondering why he just up and left the business. That explains it.
    That and maybe, after Home Alone it seemed he was interested in doing the same old thing and othe kiddie comedies.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    Actually, "Don't You Forget About Me" was written/performed by The Simple Minds. It's an honest mistake that I've heard quite a few people make, though, so don't feel bad!
    Billy Idol later recorded the song for his greatest hits album. So he did record it....that may be where alot of the confusion comes from.

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    Yeah, Simple Mind's did it first but Billy does rule.

United States
    Dont u Forget About Me was performed by Simple Minds but they did not write it.

I remember watching an interview with them saying they did it cuz the song fit their style.

But it was offered to Billy Idol first and he turned it down and I think Brian Ferry was offered it too.

But Simple Minds did a great version of it and were smart to say yes to the offer.