Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do Brits have problems understanding Americans?

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    Every now and then when I watch something produced in the UK, there will be some characters that have such a thick accent I really have a hard time understanding what they're saying. I'm wondering if this happens for any of you from the UK when you watch American made media. Is it hard to understand the way certain people from the USA annunciate their words?
    Yeah as MZ said its a thick southern drawl that's hard for most people to understand - I wouldn't be bummed though, some regional accents in the UK are baffling to even me, and I grew up in East London me ol' China!
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Australia
    Im not a Brit but I'm going to be cheeky and answer anyway American accents are easy to understand, most of the TV shows we watch are American. Thick British accents (don't ask me for specifics - I'm not good at regions etc) are harder to understand.
    zombies
    eat flesh.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    We don't have problems with American accents as much because we are surrounded by them from birth in films, TV, music, etc. In fact, when kids are playing at soldiers or doctors or whatever, they will often try to affect an American accent in their games, because they see it as the accent of grown up fiction and make believe. So no - we grow up listening to, and even speaking with, American accents, so we don't have the same problems in understanding.
    This is really fascinating! I never realized this, but it does makes sense. How interesting.

United States
    I always thought it was interesting how there are a lot of English actors who can sound perfectly American, but only some American actors pull off good English accents & the rest sound like they're doing bad Monty Python impersonations.

United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    I always thought it was interesting how there are a lot of English actors who can sound perfectly American, but only some American actors pull off good English accents & the rest sound like they're doing bad Monty Python impersonations.
    Either that or as non-American people we *think* their fake American accents sounds really convincing... you know?
    La freak, c'est chic!

.:Twitter:.:Facebook:.:Blogspot:.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Chic Freak View Post
    Either that or as non-American people we *think* their fake American accents sounds really convincing... you know?
    Kelly MacDonald (the 'school-age' chick in Trainspotting who gets banged-out by Ewan McGregor) has a very obvious Scottish accent - but you can't tell whatsoever from the likes of Choke, or No Country For Old Men.

Apparently fooled many Americans with her accent skills, so she did.