Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Given 18 Rating In UK

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    The rating system is a joke anyway. Those under the age of 18 just have their parents buy it if the store itself doesn't let them slide. I personally have never witnessed a kid being asked for their I.D or turned away so...ya.

Gonna have to disagree slightly on the last point. I worked in a games/movie retailers for six months (and will be doing so again from mid-November), and we were under seriously heavy pressure to ID anyone we thought could possibly be underage. Here is the UK, it is actually illegal to sell any BBFC 15 or 18-rated material to anyone who is underage, on pain of a £5000 personal fine and a criminal record. Trading Standards set up traps to catch you doing it; they employ kids to go around shops attempting to purchase GTA and stuff.

So I, and everyone I knew always IDed underagers; it's just not worth £5000.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    man I can't be dealing with PC games...even though I can blatantly run any of them....my rig is a dual quad core, but my gfx card needs desperately upgrading first...I just can't be bothered to be honest...love the xbox simply because when you put in the disc, you're playing it straight away...

On fallout...I recently just levelled my character up to max (level 20 as I've no addons) and now I can't be bothered to play it anymore, I've removed the levelling up incentive...so playing the quests is moot...same thing I did with oblivion...these games are a trap!!! On my first Fallout3 playthrough I did the main quest too early, ruining the game, then a year later I start again and this time level up too much and blow off the main quest! ARGH!

Why can't they make these games where you just level up and uip and up until your character is a super soldier...I feel short changed...
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    On fallout...I recently just levelled my character up to max (level 20 as I've no addons) and now I can't be bothered to play it anymore, I've removed the levelling up incentive...so playing the quests is moot...same thing I did with oblivion...these games are a trap!!! On my first Fallout3 playthrough I did the main quest too early, ruining the game, then a year later I start again and this time level up too much and blow off the main quest! ARGH!

Why can't they make these games where you just level up and uip and up until your character is a super soldier...I feel short changed...
    That's funny, I never really paid much attention to levelling in Oblivion and Fallout. Basically what happens is your character gets stronger and so do all the enemies, to the point that there's Giant Radscorpions all over the place where there used to be little Radroaches. Apart from that, you get a few perks, etc. but wasn't a major factor in gameplay to me. These games are about exploration, and levelling up is supposed to aid you in that, not the other way around.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    yeah I get my kicks from levelling up and making the character as beefy as possible...I get great satisfaction from being able to kill the hardest enemies in a few hits....loads of exploring and whatnot, but then it gets capped and my incentive to explore is gone - there's no levelling up so there's no point now!
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    Has anyone seen the fury thats erupted among PC gamers over this game to do with the multiplayer server code? Theres a huge boycott of it going on now & if people stick to it then sales on the PC will be very poor, which is where the franchise started!
    I posted about this in the other MW2 thread so I'll just quote myself
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    IW really kicked up a shitstorm earlier this week when they 'announced' there won't be dedicated servers (and hence no modding support either) for the PC version in favour of matchmaking through their new IWnet service.

Here's the petition for dedicated servers started a few days ago:
    http://www.petitiononline.com/dedis4mw/petition.html

Here's the response from IW's community manager Robert Bowling:
    http://www.fourzerotwo.com/?p=745
    The comments, as inarticulate as some of them may be, show the majority of people are far from convinced.

Finally here's a PC Gamer article on just what the big deal is about dedicated servers anyway:
    http://www.computerandvideogames.com...25744&site=pcg

Although I'm no hardcore online player I've cancelled my preorder nonetheless, I think I'll just play it safe and see how this pans out. All in all I think IW has lost a lot of PC customers this week.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    Gonna have to disagree slightly on the last point. I worked in a games/movie retailers for six months (and will be doing so again from mid-November), and we were under seriously heavy pressure to ID anyone we thought could possibly be underage. Here is the UK, it is actually illegal to sell any BBFC 15 or 18-rated material to anyone who is underage, on pain of a £5000 personal fine and a criminal record. Trading Standards set up traps to catch you doing it; they employ kids to go around shops attempting to purchase GTA and stuff.

So I, and everyone I knew always IDed underagers; it's just not worth £5000.

Point taken.

My feeling was more if someone wants to get their hands on something they're going to get it (think drugs or cigarrettes for example for example).

That is all.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Scotland
    Point taken.

My feeling was more if someone wants to get their hands on something they're going to get it (think drugs or cigarrettes for example for example).

That is all.

Oh, I totally agree with you. What happens about 50% of the time when you turn a kid away for being underage is they come back with a harassed-looking parent a couple of hours later who then buys the game/movie for them anyway.

I remember one time, I turned away a kid trying to buy Saints Row 2, and he gave me a load of abuse. Later he came back later with his mum who was really annoyed with me, until I pointed out the 18 rating and explained about how I could be fined for selling it to her son. Apparently, she hadn't noticed the 18 rating and her son conveniently hadn't mentioned it. She turned her rage towards her son instead, apologized to me, put the game back and dragged him out of the shop. Ahh... Satisfaction

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    omg I would have paid to see that Krak

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    omg I would have paid to see that Krak

Yes, i also derive great pleasure from wactching kids who try to dupe their parents get busted and then reprimanded. Takes them right out of that little "cool zone' that most teens swear they are in.

Till their parents come along and smack them silly.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    I once saw a mother give her nirvana hoody wearing mini-metaller daughter a right bollocking in the middle of camdem market because the girl was calling her mum embarassing - and basically just wanted to drag her around the shops whilst she bought stuff for her....

man we cracked up laughing...

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I once saw a mother give her nirvana hoody wearing mini-metaller daughter a right bollocking in the middle of camdem market because the girl was calling her mum embarassing - and basically just wanted to drag her around the shops whilst she bought stuff for her....

man we cracked up laughing...

That's exactly the pompous, self entitled behaviour I'm talking about. It's a big reason why western society is going to shit. But that's for a different thread.

United States
    That's exactly the pompous, self entitled behaviour I'm talking about. It's a big reason why western society is going to shit.
    you said it, brother.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    nothing a bit of physical abuse won't solve

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    nothing a bit of physical abuse won't solve

Child protective services has made sure parents are nuetered so that's not an option.

But back on topic. I agree children shouldn't have access to these things. The rotting of our society is tied into it. They are exposed to far to much these days before it's time and well, the results speak for themselves.

I just don't want access restricted to responsible, law abiding adults in the effort to keep things from kids who, one way or another, are going to get their hands on it anyway.