9 75.00%
  • Saint's Row

3 25.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GTAIV vs Saints Row

Super Moderator

UK
    Old West set sandboxing?

I was vaguely aware of this title, but knew fuck all about it, still don't - tell me more, I feckin' loved me some Outlaws (by Lucas Arts) back in the day.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Old West set sandboxing?

I was vaguely aware of this title, but knew fuck all about it, still don't - tell me more, I feckin' loved me some Outlaws (by Lucas Arts) back in the day.
    This thread has a few videos. Looks great!

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Old West set sandboxing?

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    Well you know, sometimes it's nice for a real person to tell you something, rather than spending your entire fucking life on fucking Google. It's how things were done in the days before Google...

Canada
    It's how things were done in the days before Google...
    i don't follow.

United States
    Saints Row 2 hands down.

For me at least, the controls in GTA4 were just two damn stiff. The customization was nill. The soundtrack and sound was only sub par in my opinion.

People calling me all the damn time to do things I don't care about. It just felt very.. cookie cutter? They took the good stuff that I thought was in GTA SA and took it out. The...Fun factor of SA.

I owned GTA IV and played it through all the way maybe once. I used game fly for Saints Row 2.

The very start of the game you get to pick if you want to play either a male or a female. You can pick accents, hair styles, walking styles. There is just such a high replay value for it.

I made a tough talking brit with a giant behive hairdo. My friend made a massive black man that walked like a women, and spoke like Mike Tyson. Watching these through all the cut scenes is pretty entertaining. Much better then GTA IV's.

I actually enjoyed the little gang wars, earning respect and side missions. Watching your little hideout grow from nothing into a "pimp pad."

The ability to change the way your gang dresses, acts, speaks ect.

Tough mission? Why not just stop and whistle at three of your boys to jump in and give you a hand. Instead of simply Niko Bello vs dozens of guys, or Niko and one or two other people. In SR2 you get the actually feeling of being in a battle.

That and the fact that they have THE FINAL COUNTDOWN on the radio in SR2. I mean, running from police with your crew blasting away to keep them at bay.. Hitting a jump while that's playing is beautiful.
    "if wishs were fishes we'd all cast nets" - Gurney Hallack

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    i think saints row appears to be the one where you go to just land in the sandbox and go crazy in a form of virtual antisocial self expression, kinda like crackdown. whereas gta is a fully scripted thing where you stick to a set path with very little leeway to choose alternate things to do.

different strokes indeed.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Exatreides View Post
    Saints Row 2 hands down.

For me at least, the controls in GTA4 were just two damn stiff. The customization was nill. The soundtrack and sound was only sub par in my opinion.

People calling me all the damn time to do things I don't care about. It just felt very.. cookie cutter? They took the good stuff that I thought was in GTA SA and took it out. The...Fun factor of SA.

I owned GTA IV and played it through all the way maybe once. I used game fly for Saints Row 2.

The very start of the game you get to pick if you want to play either a male or a female. You can pick accents, hair styles, walking styles. There is just such a high replay value for it.

I made a tough talking brit with a giant behive hairdo. My friend made a massive black man that walked like a women, and spoke like Mike Tyson. Watching these through all the cut scenes is pretty entertaining. Much better then GTA IV's.

I actually enjoyed the little gang wars, earning respect and side missions. Watching your little hideout grow from nothing into a "pimp pad."

The ability to change the way your gang dresses, acts, speaks ect.

Tough mission? Why not just stop and whistle at three of your boys to jump in and give you a hand. Instead of simply Niko Bello vs dozens of guys, or Niko and one or two other people. In SR2 you get the actually feeling of being in a battle.

That and the fact that they have THE FINAL COUNTDOWN on the radio in SR2. I mean, running from police with your crew blasting away to keep them at bay.. Hitting a jump while that's playing is beautiful.
    Agree 100% with all those points, i was looking forward to GTA4, went in with such high hopes following the previous games, and like land it let me down and did nothing but anger me.

And i dont mean anger becuase it was hard becuase it wasnt, i can deal with that kind of anger, i mean anger becuase its boring, hard to control and just plain annoying, it has virtually nothing to do outside of the main story apart from go on boring dates or play darts/pool/bowling with "pals".. what a crock of shit, if i wanna do that shit ill buy a darts, bowling or pool game off XBL, not a GTA game. The cops are way too tough too and its virtually impossible to have any fun with the game at all cuz their all over your ass every 5 minutes and their more difficult to shift than most STD's. As ive mentioned before with the controls, their just plain crap. The driving handles like its trying to be forza or PGR but it cant manage it, you end up crashing into everything and ill tell you what, some of you have bitched about the controls in saints row but they shit all over GTA's control system.

Everything that made the old grand theft auto's good has been striped out and replaced with crap. Ive said it before and ill say it again, GTA has been going downhill since vice city. its time to put it to bed now.

Saints row 2, like has been said, right from the start your given choices, options.. you have so much to do, missions, side missions, spraying shit on stuff out of a sewage truck, pretending to be a cop for a TV show, pimping, being security for celebs, causing general mayhem, flying a helicopter gunship, being a hitman, customising your guy, buying businesses, customising cars which you can actually keep and drive.. i could go on all night and thats before you even get to the gang warfare side of it.

IMHO saints row represents what GTA used to be, and what it should be now. fun.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by mista_mo View Post
    i don't follow.
    Another thing you didn't do virtually back in the day before the internet and all that Twitter shit.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Another thing you didn't do virtually back in the day before the internet and all that Twitter shit.
    goddamn neoluddite kids!, imma gonna send you a foursquare dm via twitter association to get off my virtual lawn!

United States
    i think saints row appears to be the one where you go to just land in the sandbox and go crazy in a form of virtual antisocial self expression, kinda like crackdown. whereas gta is a fully scripted thing where you stick to a set path with very little leeway to choose alternate things to do.

different strokes indeed.

Saints Row has a pretty scripted story line, your goal is to pretty much take back the city for the Saints. How you do this really up to you. Who your going to attack first, how you gain territories ect. While basically the same for each faction is independent enough to keep it fresh.
    "if wishs were fishes we'd all cast nets" - Gurney Hallack

Super Moderator

UK
    goddamn neoluddite kids!, imma gonna send you a foursquare dm via twitter association to get off my virtual lawn!
    The fuck you talking about, boy? You're not making a lick of sense.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I picked gta 4 just because the series is iconic and has a larger, more highly rated body of work. However, I was more impressed with sait's row than the latest gtA offering.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post

(on a slightly-off topic note, who's excited as hell for the next rockstar sandbox, "red dead redemption"?)

*raises hand*
    Me.

Even though I swore blind that I'd never buy another "Rockstar" game again after my incredible disapointment with the piss-poor port of 'GTA IV' to the PC. The absolute worst effort at porting a game I have EVER seen. The team responsible for that should have been shot.

---------- Post added at 05:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:53 PM ----------

Old West set sandboxing?

Me too. Especially the music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdoGc...eature=related

Last edited by shootemindehead; 13-Feb-2010 at 03:59 PM.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    Ah mate, the music for Outlaws was brilliant - proper Morricone vibe.