Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advertising...

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyldwraith View Post
    Amen to Firefox Ad-blocker.
    Anyone who doesn't care for the adverts. (like me) should already be running it or a similar application. I just don't care for the rare page that won't load (or loads incredibly slowly) if you block the ads.

I'm with others about wondering why a decent-sized advertiser would want to mess with a niche forum-site. HotD is great, but hardly a significant pool of potential customers for whatever they're pushing.
    I have found Ad-Blocker cocks up some sites... ie: The page doesn't even really load. I've had to turn it off due to a few sites behaving this way with it!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Capn Dallow View Post
    Are we talking about ads that appear every five or so posts or a big juicy one at the top of the page?

Prior to having my Firefox ad blocker up, ads seriously slowed my shit down on a bad day. Wasnt a major hassle but could be quite annoying. Also, I highly doubt members will welcome advertisements when presented with a 'should we have ads or not' thread because most will say "hell no".

I'm a member of one videogame forum where the ads seemingly had a mind of their own (prior to ad blocker), appeared randomly, doubled on top of themselves, even glitched up some pages. Not only that but after some weeks/months there were a number of dodgy ads popping up too.

But at the end of the day, I'm neither for or against it because it's no bother to me in the grand scheme. Firefox ad blocker is your friend, peeps.
    No popups, most likely just a 90pixel high banner advert towards the top. Look at the fiction section for an example http://fiction.homepageofthedead.com
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    While I do think it's odd that they'd want ads on these forums, the test runs you've done do look alright. Plus, it's extra money in your pocket.

I was thinking the same thing. We might want one thing but we can't hate on him if he's trying to make money out of this thing. Who here wouldn't do the same?

Cosmetics aside, as long as it doesn't change my experience here dramatically i have no prob.

2 cents ova.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    We might want one thing but we can't hate on him if he's trying to make money out of this thing. Who here wouldn't do the same?

Cosmetics aside, as long as it doesn't change my experience here dramatically i have no prob.

2 cents ova.

Hear, hear. I'm just glad to have this place to come to. I won't begrudge Neil the chance to get a little more money off it, as long as he's dealing with reputable people who won't afflict us with malware, popups, or noisy ads.
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria