Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PC's could, at long last, boot up in seconds...

United States
    Hopefully this new boot program will eliminate the PC speaker 'beep' at system start up.

To speed up your computer add a SSD hard drive, should cut your boot time by half.
    Last edited by Eyebiter; 02-Oct-2010 at 10:54 PM.

Beware the beast, man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.
    - 23rd Sacred Scroll, 6th verse

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    My two year old imac goes from powered down to running the desktop in seconds....

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyebiter View Post
    Hopefully this new boot program will eliminate the PC speaker 'beep' at system start up.

To speed up your computer add a SSD hard drive, should cut your boot time by half.
    My current PC doesn't do the beep. Some BIOSes have an option that lets you disable it, or you could pop the case and physically disconnect the internal PC speaker from the motherboard. The beeps can actually be a useful diagnostic aid if something goes wrong and the system refuses to boot, but if it really annoys you...

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    Deej, are you running Linux???
    Nah, he's just counting the time on his super-special invisible batwatch; if you've seen Deadlands 1, you'll have witnessed its power.

(sorry DJ I couldn't resist )

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    I don't know a huge amount about computers - but I always thought the real key here was to get the operating system on some sort of flash storage drive so essentially the spinning element of the hard disk is eliminated. I got a mate who's an systems architect for a massive networking company and he alwayss says that the slowest thing in a computer is the hard drive....
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Ireland
    My PC takes 22 seconds to boot up.
    My MAC takes twice that.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    My PC takes 22 seconds to boot up.
    Wow! Windows 7?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    No. XP.

Haven't got 7 yet. But my wife's Win 7 laptop is pretty quick to boot up too.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....