Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: "The Dead" (film)

Great Britain
    Quote Originally Posted by paranoid101 View Post
    The zombies in this film even though they are super slow are a constant threat.

The night scenes are scary as hell *shudder* total got creeped out after this film finished and that hasnt happened with a zombie film for a long time.
    Amazon have it for pre order so hopefully it will be soon, its going straight into my collection

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by paranoid101 View Post
    Amazon have it for pre order so hopefully it will be soon, its going straight into my collection
    Well, that's a hopeful sign!

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Now that's cooking with gas! Looks great & can't wait.
    "When there's no more room in Taco Bell, the unfed will walk the Earth!"

England
    Watched this last night and it is excellent. Yes it has its problems but overall its the best zombie movie in years. As I was watching it I couldnt help thinking of WWZ. This would have made a great segment in a band of brothers style adaption of WWZ in a shortened form.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Ireland
    +1 from me.

The atmosphere is excellent and the sense of creepiness is top notch throughout. It's budget betrays it's potential success in certain places, but they did a great job with what they had. It's Sub-Saharan African setting is ripe for all sorts of war and AIDS allegory too and it has an incredibly bleak outlook, both in story and landscape.

The zombies are classic slow chaps (actually a bit TOO slow) and the make up is subtle for the most part, but unfortunately the actors have to wear those silly cataract contacts. But, they're creepy as f*ck and they look like dead people walking around. The effects are quite delightful too, splattery where it needs it.

The acting is generally well handled too. There's no silly heroics and everybody carries themselves like relatively real people.

There are some quite thought provoking scenes in there too.

I have to admit, my attention drifted in some areas, but may have something to do with the two bottles of Pinot Grigio I stuck in my face and the yabbering wife to my left.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Great Britain
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    +1 from me.

The atmosphere is excellent and the sense of creepiness is top notch throughout. It's budget betrays it's potential success in certain places, but they did a great job with what they had. It's Sub-Saharan African setting is ripe for all sorts of war and AIDS allegory too and it has an incredibly bleak outlook, both in story and landscape.

The zombies are classic slow chaps (actually a bit TOO slow) and the make up is subtle for the most part, but unfortunately the actors have to wear those silly cataract contacts. But, they're creepy as f*ck and they look like dead people walking around. The effects are quite delightful too, splattery where it needs it.

The acting is generally well handled too. There's no silly heroics and everybody carries themselves like relatively real people.

There are some quite thought provoking scenes in there too.

I have to admit, my attention drifted in some areas, but may have something to do with the two bottles of Pinot Grigio I stuck in my face and the yabbering wife to my left.
    It was wierd even though the zombies were super slow, how they were filmed it made them a constant threat, not once did It feel for me that it was safe to stop anywhere cause they were alway around and coming to get you.

The night scenes where even worse not knowing what was out there and being able to see them.

TBH I thought the zombie moved Just like the ones in zombie flesh eaters, real old school feel.
    Last edited by paranoid101; 20-Sep-2011 at 11:52 AM. Reason: spelling

Ireland
    Yeah, there's no real complaints from me about the slowness of the zombies. That's grand AFAIC and yes they were a serious threat every time they were encountered. There are a few really tense "clock ticking" moments in the film.

United States
    Please to forgive what might be viewed as a dumb question, but where exactly do I find this flick? Google shrugged its shoulders as did the pimpley faced clerk at my local video store. Help me Obi wan Kenobi...

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarr View Post
    Please to forgive what might be viewed as a dumb question, but where exactly do I find this flick? Google shrugged its shoulders as did the pimpley faced clerk at my local video store. Help me Obi wan Kenobi...

Cant help you out with the Amazon US version but heres a link to the UK one

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dead-Blu-ray...6539601&sr=8-5

Its a British film so no suprise its out here first.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    This is out now, is it? I was dying to see it but my interest has cooled since finding out that it's gone straight to DVD. I though the whole reason for the years-long wait was that they were holding out for theatrical. I wanted to experience this movie in a cinema, not on my shitty little monitor at home. Oh well...

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    Cant help you out with the Amazon US version but heres a link to the UK one

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dead-Blu-ray...6539601&sr=8-5

Its a British film so no suprise its out here first.
    AGH! Went to Amazon US and searched "The Dead". All that came up was a flick starring Anjelica Huston. My guess is they'll market it here by some other name. You brits get all the kool stuff dammit!
    Last edited by Ragnarr; 21-Sep-2011 at 12:22 AM. Reason: sp

United States
    This movie has been "saved" in my netflix queue since last summer. Guess I'll see it when I see it.....

United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Yeah, there's no real complaints from me about the slowness of the zombies. That's grand AFAIC and yes they were a serious threat every time they were encountered. There are a few really tense "clock ticking" moments in the film.
    Agreed. Also, I like the fact that the

zombies aren't just in a scene when they're needed, but they're everywhere, all the time, in the background.

Great film, by the way, watched it yesterday. A couple of very touching moments, as well.
    Kill 'em All

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    So this movie is essentially with Diarrhea Of The Dead strives to be? Speaking of, exactly how many found-footage zombie films have there been?

Ireland
    No, it's a straight forward film. There's no "blair witch" nonsense going on.