Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: North Korea's Kim Jong Il is dead...

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Hardly incredible. Millions wept for Diana too.

?
    Ummm, OK, I'll bite - That's rather harsh don't you think? One was a meglomaniac, and the other a 20yr old girl who was thrown in the deep end of the public lime light out of her depth and who probably tried the best she could. Very harsh!

-- -------- Post added at 09:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Ronald View Post
    ^^ Terrifying such indoctrination can still take place today!

Hardly incredible. Millions wept for Diana too.

I also was going to chime in that if the Queen Mum
    stroked out and flatlined there would be an equal shortage of facial tissues throughout your island.

You snooze you lose.
    I have to say, the way you have trouble making a coherant point sort reminds me a lot of an ex-member of this forum. Hmmm...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Banned
    Banned User

Aaland
    Coherent?

Was that what you meant?
    It should be plain to see all I said was :

Crying for a dead ruler is not limited to dictators.
    After you made fun of the North Koreans how would you like it If I sprayed naptha on your Diana/Queen Mum memorial full of Teddy bears and wreaths and threw a match then laughed hilariously.

I merely stated tears flow on your island just the same
    when Royal Blood is spilled or lost as anywhere else and that shootem beat me to the reply concerning that aspect.

Back to lurking thanks for the lovely welcome
    EDIT
    Forget it why should I lurk,...warn or ban away.
    Last edited by Bad Ronald; 19-Dec-2011 at 10:08 PM. Reason: why

United States
    Hip Hip Hooray!

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Kim Jong Ils final words: "i never did find out what the f*ck the island was in LOST..."

Administrator

England
    This is an interesting watch - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-16256747

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Kim Jong Ils final words: "i never did find out what the f*ck the island was in LOST..."
    That or, 'why was my Godzilla movie so bad?' - http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Remem...tor-28422.html

Various reports had surfaced over the years describing Kim as a voracious movie lover who demanded immense control over the North Korean movie industry, turning all of the country's films into propaganda pieces. But that's nothing compared to the bizarre story reported by Mental Floss, recalling the bizarre tale of when Kim kidnapped well-regarded South Korean filmmaker Shin Sang Ok and his ex-wife, Choi Eun Hee, and forced them to make movies for North Korea for 8 years. This was before Kim Jong- Il took over leading the country for this father, and when he was supervising the country's film industry; before kidnapping Shin, he had forced 11 Japanese "cultural consultants" into work on North Korea's movies, only to have some of them actually kill themselves rather than continue on. Shin and Choi lived in more luxurious circumstances, making a series of films including what's apparently a half-decent monster movie called Pulgasari. Still, in 1986 they orchestrated an escape in Vienna, plead for asylum, and were able to return to home.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammich View Post
    This is very coincidental.
    Plus the plot of the Red Dawn remake.

Vaclav Havel of the Czech Republic died the same day. Pity that that should be overshadowed by the tyrant of North Korea. RIP to Mr. Havel, a great leader.
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Ummm, OK, I'll bite - That's rather harsh don't you think? One was a meglomaniac, and the other a 20yr old girl who was thrown in the deep end of the public lime light out of her depth and who probably tried the best she could. Very harsh!
    Mmmm...no, not harsh at all. The point I'm making is about the people doing the "weeping". You've millions that "Wept" for Diana, the Queen's mother, Michael Jackson and now, Kim Jong Il. My response to MZ's post was more to do with the issue of "indoctrination" of the "weepers", not the personality being "wept" over. North Koreans "weeping" over the death of their country's leader is no more a symbol of "indoctrination" than the same gobshites "weeping" over the death of "The King of Pop".
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    Mmmm...no, not harsh at all. The point I'm making is about the people doing the "weeping". You've millions that "Wept" for Diana, the Queen's mother, Michael Jackson and now, Kim Jong Il. My response to MZ's post was more to do with the issue of "indoctrination" of the "weepers", not the personality being "wept" over. North Koreans "weeping" over the death of their country's leader is no more a symbol of "indoctrination" than the same gobshites "weeping" over the death of "The King of Pop".
    I can understand your point. You could imply that it's simply different flavours of indoctination.

That said, North Korea is a mess. People are starving to death and the individual behind this was also building up one of the worlds largest armies. He was basically murdering his own population. So to compare millions crying over this monster to someone like Diana seems rather unfair IMHO. One was out and out indoctrination, while the other at least had a shred of credibility.
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    Neither I, or anyone else for that matter, can say for sure what North Korea is truly like. It certainly doesn't seem to be a place where I would like to be, however. But, it's very difficult to know anything for certain about the place, or it's leadership and I'm sure as hell not buying what America or South Korea has to say on the place as there are too many axes being ground from those sources.

As for Kim Jong Il "starving" his people, it makes for a great tabloid copy, but there are many other factors at play in that equation. Laying the blame at his doorstep alone is a bit too convenient for Western commentators. I've no doubt that his rule hasn't been best for North Korean's in general, but there aren't many leaders in the world that I can say have the peoples best interest at heart. So, he isn't alone there. With his death, there is a chance that new leadership values will come to the fore. Who knows.

Also, his army may be large, in relative terms anyway, but it's horribly out of date and with the US and South Korea on your borders with itchy trigger fingers, I don't blame him for building up an army. I'm sure he kept a close eye on events in Iraq, etc over the last ten years.

Administrator

England
    Neither I, or anyone else for that matter, can say for sure what North Korea is truly like. It certainly doesn't seem to be a place where I would like to be, however. But, it's very difficult to know anything for certain about the place, or it's leadership and I'm sure as hell not buying what America or South Korea has to say on the place as there are too many axes being ground from those sources.

As for Kim Jong Il "starving" his people, it makes for a great tabloid copy, but there are many other factors at play in that equation. Laying the blame at his doorstep alone is a bit too convenient for Western commentators. I've no doubt that his rule hasn't been best for North Korean's in general, but there aren't many leaders in the world that I can say have the peoples best interest at heart. So, he isn't alone there. With his death, there is a chance that new leadership values will come to the fore. Who knows.

Also, his army may be large, in relative terms anyway, but it's horribly out of date and with the US and South Korea on your borders with itchy trigger fingers, I don't blame him for building up an army. I'm sure he kept a close eye on events in Iraq, etc over the last ten years.
    Understood, but they have had a famine since Russia stopped propping it up, and it continues to fund a large army. The latter doesn't seem to imply much concern about the former. Also he was clearly balmy, just look at my post about "Godzilla" in #20.
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    I did, but I tend to take such things with a huge pinch of salt.

As I said, there's little that's known about the country, it's people, or it's leadership...so anything goes in cases of that type where "reporting" is concerned.

Don't get me wrong Neil, I'm not trying to hold the fort for poor old Kim, I couldn't give a toss really, but "the west" has lied to me many many times and I tend not to believe such fancy criticism when it's leveled at such people and or countries. They usually just serve as convenient distractions for western "democracies". Unfortunately, it's become my default position these days as I think it's best, to be honest.

Administrator

England

As I said, there's little that's known about the country, it's people, or it's leadership...so anything goes in cases of that type where "reporting" is concerned.

Don't get me wrong Neil, I'm not trying to hold the fort for poor old Kim, I couldn't give a toss really, but "the west" has lied to me many many times and I tend not to believe such fancy criticism when it's leveled at such people and or countries. They usually just serve as convenient distractions for western "democracies". Unfortunately, it's become my default position these days as I think it's best, to be honest.
    OK... But can both at least agree we was 'wonely?'
    -Carl Sagan

England
    A great loss to the golfing world...

-- -------- Post added at 08:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:06 PM ----------

You do realise that NK is a prison don't you? A place where the internet and radio is illegal, a place where hundreds of thousands of people are held in forced labour camps, a place where it is considered treason to leave the country without permission. That's why it is so hard to get info from there in the first place

The country is the closest thing to Orwell's "Airstrip One" in reality...I'm not sure how anybody could really think otherwise.

There is a line between being "a bit cynical" of your own western government and being totally closed to the actual evidence of pretty much every human rights group on the planet.
    Last edited by Legion2213; 20-Dec-2011 at 07:14 PM. Reason: .
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    OK... But can both at least agree we was 'wonely?'
    NO!

He was ronery...Tricky got it right. :P

Administrator

England
    NO!

He was ronery...Tricky got it right. :P
    Weally? I was sure it was wonely! Doh!
    -Carl Sagan