Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: An official name for the saga

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by The Alive Man View Post
    The only backing fact to my theory is the presence of somewhat of a "continuity" (the movies encompass an arc of 4-5 years). I love this multi-dimensional convergence theory.
    Where are you gathering this theory of a 4-5 year arc? Just an assumption aftering viewing all the films, or do you have some sort of comment by the film's creator?

As far as 'ZOMBIE' is concerned, I'm planning to see the GAR edit as soon as I can.
    Hrm hrm....the two GAR edits are THE edits. If you've only seen Argento's....you haven't seen the real film.

I'm not serious, of course. Well...Kind of. Argento's lacks in many areas. Mainly because it's mostly action.

Undisclosed
    "4-5 years" is an assumption based on the "classic" 3 years mentioned during the fourth movie. I'm just rounding up.

I know about the differences between the three edits, but I'm HUGELY disappointed that there are 3 versions of the same movie around the world... It's so confusing! I think it impoverishes its "uniqueness", if you know what I mean... you can't draw 3 different versions of the 'Mona Lisa' and then pretend to be taken seriously!
    What a mess!
    "I'm not one of those things, baby. I like to consider myself as a milestone. If you can, well, just see me, hear me, kiss me or even fu*k me... and you'll know what it means to be living."

capncnut
    I heard there's a new box set planned called 'Quadrilogy Of The Dead' or something like that. Maybe I heard wrong.

DIARY - hour zero.
    Can somebody please fill me in or give me a link to where it's says for sure "Diary is a fully fledged member of the Dead series". I have read pretty much all there is available and they all say it's a new franchise set in a different universe. Even Fangoria's recent GAR interview said so.
    Last edited by capncnut; 14-Nov-2006 at 06:10 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Undisclosed
    Tetralogy is the right term.

Well, I guess DIARY is supposed to belong to the same universe. It's a GAR Dead movie.
    "I'm not one of those things, baby. I like to consider myself as a milestone. If you can, well, just see me, hear me, kiss me or even fu*k me... and you'll know what it means to be living."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnSpaulding View Post
    Can somebody please fill me in or give me a link to where it's says for sure "Diary is a fully fledged member of the Dead series". I have read pretty much all there is available and they all say it's a new franchise set in a different universe. Even Fangoria's recent GAR interview said so.
    I think that this is the way to view Diary in relation to the Dead Series. It is set in the same universe as the other four films, but will relate less to each of them than the other four relate to each other. Diary is a branching out of the original concept of the first four. It is a tale told during the intial stages of the outbreak. We will probably learn little new here in terms of cause of the outbreak, "rules" of zombie behavior, social commentary on the present day, etc. That is what the first four films were for. We are pretty much familiar with the concept of the GAR zombie universe by now. What we are going to get in Diary is just a straight-up horror movie, set in the universe that GAR has so masterfully created over the last 4o years.

Undisclosed
    I agree with Philly... 'nuff said!

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly_SWAT View Post
    I think that this is the way to view Diary in relation to the Dead Series. It is set in the same universe as the other four films, but will relate less to each of them than the other four relate to each other. Diary is a branching out of the original concept of the first four. It is a tale told during the intial stages of the outbreak. We will probably learn little new here in terms of cause of the outbreak, "rules" of zombie behavior, social commentary on the present day, etc. That is what the first four films were for. We are pretty much familiar with the concept of the GAR zombie universe by now. What we are going to get in Diary is just a straight-up horror movie, set in the universe that GAR has so masterfully created over the last 4o years.
    Most of those things I agree with, but you don't think it will have social commentary on the present day? Romero has already stated that it's commentary is on the World's fascination with so-called "Reality" TV.

Undisclosed
    It will have a GOOD AMOUNT of social commentary, trust me.

Undisclosed
    About the only other hints of how it could end can be found in Day Of The Dead. The mad Doctor doing the behavorial experiments on Bub theorized that it would take about three years before the decomposition would begin to effect the motor functions of the brain.
    This is not quite true! Dr Logan never explicitly states "three years". He says, "Upon revival, decomposition is slowed substantially, indications are that these creatures could last several years before the decomposition......blah, blah, blah!

I have always interpreted that as longer than three years. To each his own though!
    "I Like Your Christ, I Do Not Like Your Christians,
    Your Christians Are So Unlike Your Christ."
    ~Mohandas K. Ghandi

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Tetralogy is the right term.

Well, I guess DIARY is supposed to belong to the same universe. It's a GAR Dead movie.
    it aint geroge has said so himself, its so he can copyright a franchise and try his hand at something new.

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    it aint geroge has said so himself, its so he can copyright a franchise and try his hand at something new.
    Thank you Hellz, someone who knows the truth! GAR has emphatically stated that this movie (although similar to the Dead franchise) is going to be totally different and has absolutely nothing to do with the original four. Nuff said.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    i speak the truth man! *80's style high fives capn spaulding*

Undisclosed
    KUDOS to SPAULDING! ('HOUSE OF 1000 CORPSES' is the WORST movie I have ever seen in my whole friggin' life... anyway!)

United States
    As far as 'ZOMBIE' is concerned, I'm planning to see the GAR edit as soon as I can. Now I can't judge without comparison, but I actually like Argento's version.
    You're really missing out. The theatrical U,S, release is GArs favorite but My vote goes for the Cannes "directors" cut. I saw the Argento cut for the 1st time about a 2 years sgo adn was surprised at how much was left out. The charcters development and arcs are really nicely fleshed out in the Cannes cut, though the music in the US theatrical cut is the best. Though the Argento one had some really nice extra gore. I think the hand getting torn off in the Mall doors after they take the mall is only in Cannes (one of my fav gore shots in dawn). Boy am I digressing.

And Zombie is a fulci movie.
    Up, Up and Away! ARRRRRGHGGGH

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

capncnut
    KUDOS to SPAULDING! ('HOUSE OF 1000 CORPSES' is the WORST movie I have ever seen in my whole friggin' life... anyway!)
    Thanks for the Kudos, it's nice to see you're being 'mature' about it.