Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Man sets self on fire ...

Banned User

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by radiokill View Post
    the tragic thing is that we have a world full of people denouncing God and scoffing at the power of prayer so that people like him aren't reached before it's too late ......and my apologies for being rash or bitter, there's no excuse for that.

I mean he was probably crazy to start with but there are so many uncaring people in this world. I am sure someone at some time saw this guy needed someone to reach out to him and obviously that never happened.

Martin, LA (the sticks). I'm writing a zombie script to be filmed in this area with cheap DVs!
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by HLS View Post
    I mean he was probably crazy to start with but there are so many uncaring people in this world. I am sure someone at some time saw this guy needed someone to reach out to him and obviously that never happened.
    yeah...and lot of people that do care are afraid or don't know what to do. I'm thinking of a guy I knew from school....he was a nut. I was trying to think of how to talk to him w/ out setting him off....and he wound up stealing my girlfriend's paycheck so I never talked to him again. I just know he's gonna flip out one day. That's one person I've known that I've forgotten to pray for...good thing we talked about this
    I Corinthians 1:18-31 18For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. 19For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent. 20Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe. 22For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom: 23But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness; 24But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God. 25Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men. 26For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called: 27But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; 28And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: 29That no flesh should glory in his presence. 30But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption: 31That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    To anyone who didnt see his website he probably just looked like a psych patient having an "episode" anyway!I'd have been shocked if i'd seen it happen & i'd have felt very sorry for him,but his protest would have been the last thing on my mind.
    I have no sympathy for people who protest by causing scenes like this either
    Tricky , the guy didnt hurt anybody else by what he did . I wouldnt eaquate his solitary suicide w/ terrorist acts . A man did the same in front of the pentagon in 1968 , to show 'severe' opposition to Americas involvement in south east asia ... the man did what he did because he devoutly cherishes the sanctity of life , its a buddist thing that I cant explain .

the tragic thing is that we have a world full of people denouncing God and scoffing at the power of prayer so that people like him aren't reached before it's too late ......and my apologies for being rash or bitter, there's no excuse for that.
    We are all looking at this world though our own eyes ...buddist saying ...
    Last edited by DVW5150; 29-Nov-2006 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "Goodbye , I am gone."

United States
    You're entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine.
    Mine being That while it may seem useful to some, in my experience I have found it to be worthless. If somebody prays for me I am affected more by someone taking the time to do the only thing they can to help (which is very appreciated) than by some being singling me out to do me a solid.

I see a world full of people who love "God" so much they will
    do nothing, because of the coming jubilee
    Blow themselves and others up
    I prayed plenty and things got worse. I guess that's just a test

You're bitter.
    I'm bitter that life can be so sucky that people turn to magic to get relief that almost never comes.

I think the prayer meeting has more to do with constructive support than any wishlist.

I went to church/Sunday school plenty. I have earned my right to say anything I want. Not that you have to earn a right.
    Up, Up and Away! ARRRRRGHGGGH

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

Martin, LA (the sticks). I'm writing a zombie script to be filmed in this area with cheap DVs!
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by coma View Post
    Mine being That while it may seem useful to some, in my experience I have found it to be worthless. If somebody prays for me I am affected more by someone taking the time to do the only thing they can to help (which is very appreciated) than by some being singling me out to do me a solid.

You're bitter.
    I'm bitter that life can be so sucky that people turn to magic to get relief that almost never comes.

I think the prayer meeting has more to do with constructive support than any wishlist.

I went to church/Sunday school plenty. I have earned my right to say anything I want. Not that you have to earn a right.
    somebody's running from God ....He'll chase you, He's always chasing you
    I Corinthians 1:18-31 18For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. 19For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent. 20Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe. 22For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom: 23But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness; 24But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God. 25Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men. 26For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called: 27But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; 28And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: 29That no flesh should glory in his presence. 30But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption: 31That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by coma View Post

You're bitter.

It is worthless to set fire to yourself , if the point of sacrafice is lost . It has spurned this discussion . I too earned the right to speak my mind (US Army spclst .10th mtn div 90-94, Somalia , Mogadishu /chalk 4 ) not that that makes a difference . Let me just say this , when you have to kill a child who is shooting an AK at you , it changes you forever . I mean , FOREVER . Buddist beliefs are among the most peaceful on this green earth , you'll never hear about them killing a doctor that gives "birth control options" to women , setting off a nutreint bomb at a goverment building , or flying airplanes into skyscrapers .
    "Goodbye , I am gone."

Undisclosed
    the tragic thing is that we have a world full of people denouncing God and scoffing at the power of prayer so that people like him aren't reached before it's too late .......
    I would say that the majority of people in the world believe in higher power of some sort... so I dont really know where your coming from saying that the world is full of people denouncing God....Unless you are including the portions of the world that are worshipping the wrong "version update" of a specific god...

And as far as the power of prayer goes ....
    Just dont tell anyone your praying for them if they are going to have heart surgery.... "In the largest study of its kind, researchers found that having people pray for heart bypass surgery patients had no effect on their recovery. In fact, patients who knew they were being prayed for had a slightly higher rate of complications." http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12082681/

Now as far as this guys protest/statement/suicide goes... People tend to be very quick in labeling anything they dont understand as crazy... Especially when it involves the human body and life... So the vast majority of people, me included, would think that any voluntary action that directly results in ones death is crazy... This is a very convienant thought process because it then becomes very easy to shrug off anything the "crazy person" may have been trying to say....

Now lets point out here that he wasnt flinging poop at people, bouncing off the walls, and ranting unintelligently... His actions seemed delibrate ...he set up a website and recorded the event...

There thems to be a sentiment that the "deranged" could never have a poignant observation...

seriously, if you're retarded enough to set yourself on fire, who's going to think you're rational enough to have a credible opinion
    Originally Posted by Eyebiter
    Hoisting a jerrycan of petrol and burning yourself to a crispy critter just doesn't seem to be a very effective method of showing political dissent in today's society.
    Yeah he could have been way more effective if he blew up a building or two...

This all being said... It is possible that his whole "protest" could all be smoke screen... He may have just wanted to commit suicide... and wanted people to remember/talk about him....

There is no target consumer! Only targets. Targets that will tremble as their new master hands down edicts in my glorious booming voice!

United States
    Terran wrote , quote : " Yeah he could have been way more effective if he blew up a building or two...
    This all being said... It is possible that his whole "protest" could all be smoke screen... He may have just wanted to commit suicide... and wanted people to remember/talk about him.... "

United States
    So because the guy killed himself to protest the war in Iraq it somehow makes teh anti-war side more moral, or right?

Does this mean that every guy/girl who kills themselves over a boyfriend/girlfriend leaving them are now in the right?

So if someone FOR the war suddenly lights themself on fire to protest the war protests and the idiotic liberal idea of understaaaaaanding why the terrorists hate us rather than killing them, does that mean that he PRO war side is in the right?

Too much to think of, but what I gather from the OP poster is that

Kill yourself for a cause and your cause gains credence. Either that or because someone killed themself for HIS (the OP poster) cause, the cause gains credence. Probably the latter. And don't try to say "Aw geez, I didn't know that posting on a dead site about some wacko lighting himself on fire would get me some pretty nasty posts!" Of course you did! Just like any time I post politics I get set for a war. You rolls the dice, you takes your chance.
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcades057 View Post
    So because the guy killed himself to protest the war in Iraq it somehow makes teh anti-war side more moral, or right?

Does this mean that every guy/girl who kills themselves over a boyfriend/girlfriend leaving them are now in the right?

So if someone FOR the war suddenly lights themself on fire to protest the war protests and the idiotic liberal idea of understaaaaaanding why the terrorists hate us rather than killing them, does that mean that he PRO war side is in the right?

Kill yourself for a cause and your cause gains credence. Either that or because someone killed themself for HIS (the OP poster) cause, the cause gains credence. Probably the latter. And don't try to say "Aw geez, I didn't know that posting on a dead site about some wacko lighting himself on fire would get me some pretty nasty posts!" Of course you did! Just like any time I post politics I get set for a war. You rolls the dice, you takes your chance.
    You're a great person! You make equations , and release answers like a queaf . Thanks for supporting the war effort with your sacrafice !
    Last edited by DVW5150; 30-Nov-2006 at 12:10 AM.
    "Goodbye , I am gone."

Undisclosed
    Edit/Edition

Alright I felt I was bit unclear in my initial post....so I added this

When I hear of events like this I either say or think "What an IDIOT!...." or "That person is CRAZY!".....
    but this is because I am both callous and generally apathetic...which comes from my conclusion that there is no arcane purpose or meaning in my life or any others.

So unless I delibrately try to be empathetic I cannot relate to the idea of sacrificing ones life for a statement...an ideal.... or anything else....(parental instincts excluded)...

So I dont know if this was a Buddist-like protest or an elaborate suicide... or whether it was somewhere inbetween...

It just seems pointless to mention alternatives or discredit the person when the inspiration seem to be unclear....

There is no target consumer! Only targets. Targets that will tremble as their new master hands down edicts in my glorious booming voice!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Terran View Post
    I would say that the majority of people in the world believe in higher power of some sort... so I dont really know where your coming from saying that the world is full of people denouncing God....Unless you are including the portions of the world that are worshipping the wrong "version update" of a specific god...
    Just one God....and look how you're chomping at the bit to make Him irrevelant.....just some higher power. I wonder why?

And as far as the power of prayer goes ....
    Just dont tell anyone your praying for them if they are going to have heart surgery.... "In the largest study of its kind, researchers found that having people pray for heart bypass surgery patients had no effect on their recovery. In fact, patients who knew they were being prayed for had a slightly higher rate of complications." http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12082681/
    A study of the power of prayer

...if he blew up a building or two...
    There's a difference between using force to deter future attacks and lending understanding to a conflicting point of view.

as for the edit, Terran, this whole forum and website is pointless in that train of thought. That's all we do here is BS. It also seems pretty pointless to try to discredit your Creator, but He loves you anyway .

Undisclosed
    Just one God....and look how you're chomping at the bit to make Him irrevelant.....just some higher power. I wonder why?.

I was using the term "higher power" because I wanted to be inclusive of all religions that awknowledge a "Creator" of some fashion or another...

So Ill include the above responce and the one you said previouslly

Originally Posted by radiokill
    the tragic thing is that we have a world full of people denouncing God and scoffing at the power of prayer so that people like him aren't reached before it's too late .......
    Unless you are referring to a specific faith's god the statment doesnt really make any sense....

I am only left to assume that when you say "a world full of people denouncing God"....that you are referring to a world in which the majority worship/believe in something other than the Christian God?...

A study of the power of prayer
    *shrugs*....it was a simple study that gave evidence towards anonymous prayer having no effect on the real world....and some evidence that when people actually know people are praying for them that it could have negative effects...

But hell I dont want to turn this thread into a religous one....I think you are the one that first brought up religion....so if you want to continue this discussion more than PM me....

But it seems like this thread is turning into a bit of a flame fest anyhow...so Ill probally just avoid posting in this thread anymore anyways

There's a difference between using force to deter future attacks and lending understanding to a conflicting point of view.
    Ok I dont really understand what this statement is referring to....the war in Iraq?...or a better way for him to be heard?...I dont really get how this statement was a responce to the one I made....

as for the edit, Terran, this whole forum and website is pointless in that train of thought. That's all we do here is BS.
    Not entirely... it would not have been pointless to comment/discuss on how/why this action would have little impact on american society and the general american mindset... Its just that if you want to start to generate alternatives you have to make some base assumptions for it to work...
    Last edited by Terran; 29-Nov-2006 at 09:26 PM.

United States
    I only started to talk about my God because posters were laughing about prayer........I might send you a message later if I get time.

but base assumptions had been made.....he was videotaping a public suicide in order to protest the war!!!!! why do you keep insisting that was not what we assumed his motives to be????

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcades057 View Post

WRONG!!!

The original poster's point was that a man lit himself on fire in the middle of public and the only public response was that it was a traffic nusiance.

The cold hearted response of the public was his point, not the reasons why.

READ MY NEW SIG
    "I Like Your Christ, I Do Not Like Your Christians,
    Your Christians Are So Unlike Your Christ."
    ~Mohandas K. Ghandi