Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Finally I can start to become a vegetarian...!!

England
    Technically it would still be living tissue though,so you would still be killing an organism when you throw it in the grill!and to be fair it will probably taste like mcdonalds burgers do before the relish is added i.e. crap!il stick to me slaughtered cattle thank you kindly! Lions arent going to start eating lab grown gazelle flavour meats,so why should we?we are animals at the end of the day,& the food chain exists for a reason,its nature

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    the food chain exists for a reason,its nature
    My thoughts exactly. If this type of technology becomes mainstream, I hope they have the forethought to create other technologies to help control the animal population.

"Thinning the herd" is a practice in nature that is done for a reason. If we stopped eating farm animals altogether, what would we do with the billions of animals that are already being raised for this purpose? Should we simply deplete the stock and nueter/spay future generations and limit the amount of breeding allowed? Seems rather harsh to control the future of a species...much akin to playing GOD.

There are alot of drawbacks to such technology, as with all technology. Seems like MAN is quick to jump into everything head first without pondering the future.

Personally, I doubt I would want meat that was grown in a lab. Even should it taste superior. I'm truly thinking along the lines of Soylent Green and the Matrix feed here... Sounds uber conspiracy theory, I agree, yet...

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by deadpunk View Post
    My thoughts exactly. If this type of technology becomes mainstream, I hope they have the forethought to create other technologies to help control the animal population.

"Thinning the herd" is a practice in nature that is done for a reason. If we stopped eating farm animals altogether, what would we do with the billions of animals that are already being raised for this purpose? Should we simply deplete the stock and nueter/spay future generations and limit the amount of breeding allowed? Seems rather harsh to control the future of a species...much akin to playing GOD.
    Well all those animals shouldnt exist anyways really....

Selective breeding....anihilation of all predators...

they are more "unnatural" than "natural" tissue growth....

Technically it would still be living tissue though,so you would still be killing an organism when you throw it in the grill!
    yeah in the same way bread is living tissue...or even less so...same way an apple is part of a tree...

we dont even need fertilized eggs or animal stem cells...you can take a part of an animal a tissue sample from a loin(inner thigh?) or something...and grow it....and the animal that the tissue came from could be dead 200 years past....just the meat/fat/tissue composition is reconstituted over and over again....

Lions arent going to start eating lab grown gazelle flavour meats,so why should we?we are animals at the end of the day,& the food chain exists for a reason,its nature
    Ok the food chain and nature....us being animals...its not like I dont agree with you in that extent....but that means a deliberate culling of human populations....you volunteering?....

There is no target consumer! Only targets. Targets that will tremble as their new master hands down edicts in my glorious booming voice!

Kazakhstan
    lol there's not as much natural mother earthness about the meat industry as you may think - selective breeding, hormone feeds, preservatives. we already eat frankenstein food.

i agree with terran,most of the animals shouldnt exist anyway, we dont naturally have herds of pedigree limousin cattle roaming the west country, they were all purpose bred and imported.

actually there's a point, where do dairy cows live in the wild?! i dont think ive ever seen them outside a farm...

the technology is not as far fetched as it seems, organic cells are easy to grow in artificial conditions - ever cloned a plant using agar jelly? its easy.

there's no reason it would taste any different, and it wouldnt be a living organism as it would just be a lump of matter as it does not respire, eat or reproduce.

i cant bloody wait. they could develop red meat with no health risks, even health benefits...

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by _liam_ View Post
    lol there's not as much natural mother earthness about the meat industry as you may think - selective breeding, hormone feeds, preservatives. we already eat frankenstein food.

i agree with terran,most of the animals shouldnt exist anyway, we dont naturally have herds of pedigree limousin cattle roaming the west country, they were all purpose bred and imported.

actually there's a point, where do dairy cows live in the wild?! i dont think ive ever seen them outside a farm...

the technology is not as far fetched as it seems, organic cells are easy to grow in artificial conditions - ever cloned a plant using agar jelly? its easy.

there's no reason it would taste any different, and it wouldnt be a living organism as it would just be a lump of matter as it does not respire, eat or reproduce.

i cant bloody wait. they could develop red meat with no health risks, even health benefits...
    If I didnt hate you so much id love you....

There is no target consumer! Only targets. Targets that will tremble as their new master hands down edicts in my glorious booming voice!

United States
    See...this is why I could never become an 'activist' towards any cause.

While I agree that breeding animals solely for the purpose of slaughtering them is inhumane, and from the documentaries I've seen; it's actually deplorable the way they live... I'm simply struck dumb by the fact that activists can't address a problem. Especially once they've found an alternative. Not a solution; an alternative.

Hooray! We can eat meat without killing animals.

Yes, But what do we do with all the animals that we have already bred and have incaptivity?

Quote Originally Posted by Terran View Post
    Well all those animals shouldnt exist anyways really....

Ahhhhh... I see. We'll simply run out in the fields, wave our arms and shout:
    GO AWAY! YOU DON"T EXIST!

*dusts off hands*

Damn, that was easy...

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    This is great. I hope it works.

I eat meat even though I don't like the idea of animals being slaughtered to feed me... but I just can't seem to stop myself.

United States
    I dont wanna eat anything
    that hasnt given up its life
    for my enjoyment

Kazakhstan
    Yes, But what do we do with all the animals that we have already bred and have incaptivity?...

...Ahhhhh... I see. We'll simply run out in the fields, wave our arms and shout:
    GO AWAY! YOU DON"T EXIST!

*dusts off hands*

Damn, that was easy...
    we carry on eating them, the purist market i mentioned. or sell the rest to zoos or nature reserves or release them into the wild...you could give them to third world countries perhaps?

United States

Lab Meat ...

Well , It could be fed to zombies raw ... they could eat that instead of us ... To get to the meat of the matter : Meat wouldnt be murder anymore! The Smiths album would be a collectors item ...You ever bite into a hamburger and find a toe nail ? I had a girlfriend once that liked her steak so rare , that once she told a waiter to , " Run it through a warm room ." Whats the difference between meat & fish ? If you beat a fish , it'll die ... I think I have squeezed as much 'au ju' as I can from this ...
    "Goodbye , I am gone."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by kortick View Post
    I dont wanna eat anything
    that hasnt given up its life
    for my enjoyment
    Oh yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by DVW5150 View Post
    Well , It could be fed to zombies raw ... they could eat that instead of us ... To get to the meat of the matter : Meat wouldnt be murder anymore! The Smiths album would be a collectors item ...You ever bite into a hamburger and find a toe nail ? I had a girlfriend once that liked her steak so rare , that once she told a waiter to , " Run it through a warm room ." Whats the difference between meat & fish ? If you beat a fish , it'll die ... I think I have squeezed as much 'au ju' as I can from this ...
    Theres too much funny sh!t here tonight!
    au ju...
    yer a regular Henny Youngman
    Last edited by coma; 03-Dec-2006 at 03:14 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Up, Up and Away! ARRRRRGHGGGH

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK

"Thinning the herd" is a practice in nature that is done for a reason. If we stopped eating farm animals altogether, what would we do with the billions of animals that are already being raised for this purpose?
    then newzealand will sink like atlantis under the weight of too many sheep.

and i think wild cows live in like meadows on the edge of woodland dont they?

United States
    Actually, yes. Cattle were wild at one time. Although we have cultivated and bred them to specifics (ie dairy, angus, etc).

liam, I'm glad to see you posted that we could give them to third world countries. This negates the randomness of your "it could end world hunger" post on this thread. Afterall, hunger is caused by lack of supplies..but by poverty...

Kazakhstan
    yes i meant you *could* (as in might) be able to solve famine issues by donating the majority of remaining cattle, but i also meant that the meat's value is drastically reduced by having, say, a 2 week incubation period as opposed to months of rearing, feeding, keeping animals, it would become more affordable.

we would also be able to produce so much meat that the aid we already provide to these countries would increase, and on a less head in the clouds note, it would be cheaper for these countries to buy.

i dont just talk out of my arse all of the time yknow

United States
    i dont just talk out of my arse all of the time yknow
    Hahahahahahhaha...well said! I bow to your acknowledgement of self-arseholery