Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bit more news on Cameron's Avatar...

Kazakhstan
    cool, i'll check that out, ta neil

capncnut
    Well done. Thanks for reminding me Neil.

Administrator

England
    More news on it... http://www.aintitcool.com/node/35672

How much more realistic can they get stuff... I mean in some films, some of the effects look nigh on perfect to me.

I suspect in reality though, when we get to see Avatar we'll realise how bad they were...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    This movie is going to be so great....

Does anyone else find it kind of weird that Cameon is using Weta when ILM has helped him out so much?...

Super Moderator

UK
    "Jim out" ... dude's hip, bitches!

Aye, I concur, this movie is gonna rock cock up and down the sunset strip for a week straight with no breaks...i.e. funking awesome.

I certainly look forward to seeing this film, I'll have to definitely see it in the cinema.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Yeah but still ... T2 was essentially birthing CGI ... that's pretty freakin' boundary-bashing, don't ya think? A whole new wave of technology jizzed across the entire filmmaking world, something which has become such a huge technique?!
    The Abyss actually won an Academy Awards for it's CGI work in 1988. So people were well aware of it. Also remember Tron? And Willow? They also used computer effects.

As for this film, it sounds more like a 200 million experimental sci-fi than anything that will change the way films are experienced. While I love all of James Camerons previous films (Piranha 2 excluded), I just can't see where this is going. It will probably be a good film, but it wouldn't surprise me if the technology fell flat. Stephen Sommers fell into the George Lucas "CGI EVERYWHERE" pit of hell, and maybe James Cameron has too.
    Last edited by EvilNed; 21-Feb-2008 at 07:28 PM.

Super Moderator

UK
    My point being from weeks ago that T2 was the first really big, full on CGI splash.

The Abyss really only had one scene, and Tron was really basic CGI mixed with a load of black-lighting.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    The Abyss had more than one scene. There were several underwater scenes that used CGI, so no. T2 wasn't the first there either. T2 used MORE cgi. But I saw no improvement in the CGI between Abyss and T2.

Super Moderator

Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    WTF!? I'd say Titanic pushed technology far more than T2 did... Dude he went two miles under the water to film on location!! Also the CGI was cutting edge for its day...
    These are the times I wish Back In Black was here.

Administrator

England
    Some lucky folks got to see some of it. reactions from Twitter:

@dt4storms: Still in awe of meeting James Cameron... Avatar will change movie industry forever.. thank you Jim

@gjkooijman: is mindblown

@gjkooijman: still can't process the Avatar presentation he saw. It's nothing you can imagine, it's real. Cameron made a new planet and took a cam there.

@gjkooijman: saw 40 minutes of James Cameron's Avatar footage at the Cinema Expo tonight. THIS WILL CHANGE MOVIES FOREVER. Trust me, it will.

@NafRas: OMG keep this in mind James Cameron's AVATAR this Dec. it's gonna rock the way u see movies! Preview @ cinema expo leaves me wanting more

@sperling: It's official! The footage from "Avatar" shown at Cine Expo was amazing. Absolutely stunning in 3D. Should be a huge hit.

@UCSNord: "Avatar" footage at #cinexpo: CGI was photorealistic, characters look really real. Believe the hype, this movie will be massive!

@UCSNord: Fox's product presentation at #cinexpo offered about 15-20 mins of "Avatar" footage in 3D, presented by Cameron & members of the cast.

@UCSNord: "Avatar" footage at #cinexpo was presented by Cameron, Weaver, Worthington, Saldana and Lang, who all attended the after-party.

@UCSNord: Footage from "Avatar" at #cinexpo was stunning, literally jawdropping. Amazing visuals unlike any before seen, with incredible detail.

@UCSNord: The screening room was packed, I'd say about 1500 to 2000, around there. Genuine excitement and an amazed crowd.

http://marketsaw.blogspot.com/
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    After seeing pictures of the tie in video game, I'm extremely curious as to how different and unique this is really going to look. If the video game is even close to what the planet looks like in the film, it's not that amazing.

But Cameron's never let me down. He's the kinda guy that at the last second could pull a real alien out of his ass and say "I made this movie with actual aliens. Because I'm Jim Cameron. Bitch.", and I wouldn't even question it...

Where's the friggin trailer already?!?

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    But Cameron's never let me down. He's the kinda guy that at the last second could pull a real alien out of his ass and say "I made this movie with actual aliens. Because I'm Jim Cameron. Bitch.", and I wouldn't even question it...
    LOL!

Yep! Actually filming on location for Titanic
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Seriously....Cameron has never made a bad film, imo. There were some better than others, but he's always entertained me. So I doubt he's going to go wrong anytime soon.

I'm just dying to see what it is that's so amazing about this new technology. And I wonder if the trailer will be released in 3d for the people that have 3d glasses. Quite a few dvds come with them now...

If we don't get the full affect of this new technology in the trailer, would it even be worth putting it online or in theaters that aren't IMAX 3D?

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    I'm definitely skipping this. First Transformers and Dragonball Z, now GI Joe and Avatar? Geez, when's Banjo-Kazooie: The Movie coming out?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by blind2d View Post
    I'm definitely skipping this. First Transformers and Dragonball Z, now GI Joe and Avatar? Geez, when's Banjo-Kazooie: The Movie coming out?
    Er....not THAT Avatar....